Raul starting?

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by fatdanny99, Feb 14, 2005.

1. fatdanny99

fatdanny99 New Member

Nov 5, 2004
    US
  2. ronaldinhobr10

Jan 9, 2005
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    well i hate to say this....but everything is true
    its like he hides in the field

but i hope all this media attention can make him wake up and start playing again like the rasul we are used to seeing

but this weekend i hope luxa can leave him resting and pair up roni with owen so raul rests for the juve match

3. gazzad_5

gazzad_5 Member

Jan 19, 2004
    7 wins on the trot in la liga, i say stick with raul playing.
    luxa shouldnt listen to fans, he should stick with his opinion, he should also not play 'perez's team' i.e evry galactico. the day luxa starts letting people influence him, the day he will start to fail as a manager.
    personally i would hope raul plays v juve, he has won the comp more than most, scored more goals than anybody, and afteral he is club captain. also i dont believe ronnie and owen wil play together well, raul plays more of an AM role than owen would.
    Raul does alot of dirty work, he links play up with the midfilders, and he works hard tracking back, with owen and ronnie up-front we would lose this.
    i say stick with the footballing king of spain. and if we include owen it needs to be for ronnie.

4. fatdanny99

fatdanny99 New Member

Nov 5, 2004
    US
    Hopefully Raul will return to the form he once had. If he does this, he will be the inspiration and heart of the team.

5. TeddyBear

TeddyBear New Member

Apr 4, 2004
    Bonnie Scotland
    I pity the guy I really do. This was 'his' team. He was the main man, but then Perez starting bringing in the best players in the world and no longer was he the centre of attention and i think thats something that was maybe hard to come to terms with for raul. Although saying that, i think that with Raul in the team (and the team playing well), the team flows better.

6. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    He's being outscored by a subsitute not benching him soon would be a joke IMO.

7. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Raul has been a joke compared to his old self for over a season and a half now. I have no idea what more he could do, or better yet not do, to get benched, but it isn't going to happen.

8. Una Grande Libre

Una Grande Libre New Member

Nov 20, 2004
    what's it to you?!
    Thats what I feel. His best firends were all on the team, and next thing you know, they are all gone. He is left with Casillas and Guti and Salgado as his main companions from what was "his" team. Personally, I think that he is still one of the best, but in a different way than before. He isnt a goal poacher, but he opens up opportunities for everybody else. He really has a hard time playing as a forward because he always has at least 2 defenders on him. If anything, play Owen and Raul up top, because they play better than an Owen-Ronaldo. If we have to, give Raul a break, but let him come back as soon as possible. It is still his team.
    Arriba España

ps- Owen plays better when he is subbed in the last 25 min or so

9. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Owen will leave if he feels his position is a sub. He is stuck between a rock and a hard place if he comes on and does well he is a super sub if he did badly as a sub he would be considered not good enough.Owen deserves to start and there will be no shortage of takers for him.

10. gringotuno

gringotuno New Member

Aug 24, 2004
    Miami, Florida
    Not that raul has been particularly good lately, but neither has Ronnie. Over the past 5 games, Raul has scored 3 times, Owen 2, and Ronnie 1. (And, if you were to consider the playing time of those three over the past 5 games, Owen surely has the best rate of scoring, followed by Raul and then Ronnie). So, although Raul has fewer goals this season than either Ronnie or Raul, I am not sure why we are holding our debate over Raul alone.

It seems that most agree Owen deserves a start. Raul is the captain and has a more different type of play than Owen in comparison to Ronnie. Raul is much more versatile and can play more of a transitional midfield role than Ronnie, as we have seen many times this season. So, leave Ronnie out for once and blame it on his wedding. But, Be sure to put him in after the half.

11. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I also believed Owen was much better as a sub than when he started. He might be better if he got more starts. So fae, his performance as a starter was horrible. And I am not saying that Raul was any better. He should sit on the bench. A month ago, I would say start Ronaldo and Owen.... say no to any rumor of a new forward. Now, I would probably start Eonaldo and Owen, but a new forward is necessary. Raul, Owen or Portillo are good starters at this moment. Even Ronaldo in the last few games was playimng poorly.

12. Lockjaw

Lockjaw BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 8, 2004
    Kaiserslautern
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IMHO, each game has its differences. In the last one against Osasuna, I would have pulled both Ronaldo & Raul at halftime & played Owen & Solari. Don't forget how well Solari plays as a winger.

Also, I don't like Guti on the side. His defense is much better than Zidane's & on offense, Zidane is all over the map any way.

13. ilferrari

ilferrari New Member

Oct 5, 2004
    I wouldn't do anything drastic, but I would slowly increase the occasions Owen comes on and starts in place of Raul or Ronaldo. Owen deserves it.

Having a third striker of this quality is a great advantage. Look at what happened in 2003-2004 when Raul and Ronaldo played practically 90 mins of every game regardless of their condition.

Funny how we are being so critical of the Real Madrid strikers when you look at our very respectable league position and goals scored. RM fans are a demanding lot :D

14. manchild

manchild New Member

Nov 29, 2004
    Severn Maryland
    Personally.......LEAVE RAUL ALONE
    Let him do wot he knows how to do best and people let us respect this guy and stop complaining. 5yrs ago b4 madrid was wot it used to be, how many of u paid attention to whether it was winning or not...we just had a team of hard working people...... Personally we should have stopped with Figo(no offence to Zidane, Beckham, Ronaldo fans....and if u take offence oops thats ur fat luck, they werent needed) shud have gone scouting for young blood... but no we needed marketing strategies to increase our wealth "Galactico" signing total bullshyt in my opinion that is wot is killing Madrid.....on pencil and paper we probably have the best squad(look at FIFA 2004 the game only club team with a 5 star rating....dumb*FIFA sucks*).....that is not my point though....Madrid lacks team spirit(asides Raul and Figo which other players are personally linked)...and i can almost swear that everyone condemning Raul rite now just started supporting Real, money is good dont get me wrong we have the 3 most marketable footballers in the world that is good as we dont have a rich owner like abramovich to buy us a trophy(and yes money does buy trophies) we've gatta create wealth but not at the extent of winning trophies....and killing the madrid spirit.....God forbid wot if we go thru a barren spell like Barca and start chilling midtable for a while....a lot of these new "fans" will go some other place. The last good game i watched and enjoyed was against Roma first leg(my opinion) Owen coming off the bench to score winners we care but how many passes can owen be in the middle of, he comes on as a sub when everyone is tired give him the ball to run with and score(call me shallow but ive never had a good opinion of english players aside rooney)
    And please let us just leave Raul Alone
    Manchild

15. Una Grande Libre

Una Grande Libre New Member

Nov 20, 2004
    what's it to you?!
    I agree. Maybe Zidane was a good buy, because he has helped Madrid in the Liga and the CL. I think that when we took out Makelele our team went way way down. We had some of the best footballers playing at their best. They were all friends with each other. Now Helguera doesn't have Makelele, Raul doesn't have Morientes (which if they both started together, Spain would still have the best strikers). IMO if our players were better firends, we would play better. Ive seen how when the team goes out, they always split up into the same groups. They only travel together because of their contracts.

Leave Raul alone... yeah. Its his team more than anyone else's. He knows what he is doing, and maybe he doesnt score as much, but he still plays better than many other players.
    Arriba España

16. colfan

colfan New Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Colorado
    Very true and part of the problem. About 2 years ago Raul started playing more like an attacking midfielder, then was hurt- Real fell out of the CL, and ever since both Raul and Real have not been the same. Get money for Owen, get a defense, and play Raul back as a striker.

17. Korbenn

Korbenn New Member

Jan 19, 2005
    Finland
    Sheesh. Sell Owen?! No way, he's fantastic! Efficient scorer and has terrific attitude. Raul is a great player but he's NOT playing great so let him share the starting spot with Owen and let the best man win the it.

18. gringotuno

gringotuno New Member

Aug 24, 2004
    Miami, Florida
    We've been saying that since the start of the season... I guess RM's last 3 coaches don't read this forum.

19. fatdanny99

fatdanny99 New Member

Nov 5, 2004
    US
    Raul should play forward with Zidane in the middle, Figo on the left, Beckham on the right, and Guti or Graveson right behind Zidane. There everyone plays in their natural positions.

20. Lockjaw

Lockjaw BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 8, 2004
    Kaiserslautern
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Raul does not like playing up front any more. When Luxa took over, he said we need to get Raul playing up front. But Raul naturally drifts back to the midfield. The upside is that our midfield usually needs the help with Figo & Zidane so far forward. The downside is that the old killer striker Raul appears to be gone.