Raul Mendiola to Manchester City

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by lr3forme, Sep 27, 2011.

1. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is he in a situation similar to Fagundez?

2. soccershins

soccershins Member

Jan 3, 2011
    Club:
    FC Porto
    What situation would that be?

3. jakepc42

jakepc42 Member+

Mar 26, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A slim to none chance of ever suiting up for the U.S.

4. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Correct. I'd guess even slimmer than Fagundez...................

So if you're asking whether he's a Yank Abroad...........the answer is no. He's a Mexican abroad.

5. ferrari77

ferrari77 Member

May 23, 2002
    Everywhere
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

Plus Cody and Anton share the same agent(or rather work with guys from the same agency) and the main reason they got their trials with Everton were due to the connections of the agency founder with Everton and Moyes.
    Moyes trusts(trusted) anyone recommended by the agent and tbh it's the same agent that initially recommend Stu Holden to Moyes and got him the chance to train with Everton when the Toffees made their first trip to Texas(Houston) a few years back.

6. ATLGunner

ATLGunner Member

May 8, 2005
    Atlanta
    http://mlssuperdraft.blogspot.com/2011/10/la-galaxy-unaware-of-interest-in-raul.html

His old coach said there were three people working on his citizenship. Whether that is a lie or an exaggeration, misleading or inaccurate....it's a quote from a source.

Glean from it what you will, but this has more weight that anything we on BS bandy about.

7. alky13

alky13 Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Manchester/NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    City keep a very small amount of players between 16-18. If they're signed, they will play with the EDS who play often and now are apart of NextGen. Mancini also caps players from the youth team often. This is a great move. Is there any chance at all he'll be a US citizen?

8. soccershins

soccershins Member

Jan 3, 2011
    Club:
    FC Porto
    While he is trying to obtain US Citizenship, playing in Europe is going to put a serious delay on those efforts.

9. Peoresnada

Peoresnada Member

Mar 28, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Here is my two cents and since nobody has commented....the kid was interviewed yesterday by Raza Deportiva (ESPN radio show) and more specifically big Mexican journalist Faitelson...

1. Of what I understood it seems and I believe its not a done deal but he'll get a definite answer he said in about month but the fact that they have been following him and they are flying him out there he said his 'agents' assured him its a done deal

2. They have been following him since a year ago and the first time they saw him was when he played with his club in the Dallas Cup

3. They didn't ask him the forever question of what country would he chose but they straight out ask him why hasn't he been part of the US U-17 team or their programs. The kid said he tried out for the U-15 but wasn't selected. They asked him if it was Cabrera who made the decision and he said no that it wasn't him.

4. They ask him about school and he said he is strong in mathematics and is doing home school. Interesting thing when they starting asking him about this instead of soccer he was more expressive and more talkative. Just an interesting note.

5. His favorite team is Chivas of Guadalajara...:rolleyes:

10. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wasn't selected for the U15's? Ha. I'd like to hear who made that call.

11. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Maybe he didn't make the team because he wasn't, ya know, eligible for it.

12. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he wasn't eligible, why would he try out?

13. irish56

irish56 Member+

Oct 30, 2006
    indy
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why would three people be trying to get him his citizenship, if he was eligible?

14. Werdman89

Werdman89 Member+

May 27, 2008
    Boston, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Plenty of non-citizens are involved in our youth national teams, coughDiegoFagundezcough.

15. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Well..........it says nothing of where he is in the citizenship process. Just that people are "working on it."

If he's just getting started.............he's a no-hoper. If he's close, he wouldn't need people "working on it" of course.

This kid is essentially just like Vedad Ibisevic and Rogelio Funes Mori. Not a Yank. And actually, not Abroad either..........seeing as he played for the Galaxy this past weekend.

Of course, not eligible to play for Man City either.......................because I can't fathom how he'd get a work permit. But that's a different issue, I guess. They could loan him out somewhere like Belgium until he gets Euro citizenship years from now. So he'll end up being a Belgian-Mexican dual-national playing in England. The one thing he won't be is American.

[I'm clearly in a bad mood today.]

16. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Maybe he has spanish roots ala Omar Salgado?

17. ninjew

ninjew Member+

Oct 14, 2009
    Discordia 2.0
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

There you have it fellas. Plus, I have from a credible source that he is NOT a surprise against Brazil next week. ;)

18. ATLGunner

ATLGunner Member

May 8, 2005
    Atlanta
    The reason I posted this, after posting a previous article, is because of this argument. You can't compare him to Funes Mori because you simply don't know. I don't know either...but there are people close to the source with attributed quotes, that while vague, hint at another possibility. It's clear that there is a chance he could be close. Not saying he is...saying it is possible

...and if he's close, he absolutely could use people working on it. I know you've been a part of the horrible vortex of immigration debates on the YNT board, and one of the many things discussed is how long it takes to get citizenship even when eligible.

...I have made no arguments to this point toward a specific outcome. I've simply posted relevant information. You then attack actual information with cynical assumptions. I don't understand how that could possibly lead to a fruitful discussion. Saying "it's unlikely, as we've seen in the past, that he'll gain citizenship," is different than, "we'll this must be wrong because it might disagree with my fatalistic view of the USSF/society."

19. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    There are so many variations to this dilemma I think its important not to clump all of them into one pile. Illegal or not illegal Immigrants, part of the youngest USYNT camps, did they come as 4 yr old or did they come as a 14 yr old? Do they come from countries with a developed domestic league and national team? or Bulgaria, Liberia, or Congo. What was the reason for emmigrating? Famine, civil war with father being assasinated or economic prosperity, are any of there parents have US culture or intention to become citizens independent of soccer? What suprises me is Mendiola and Fagundez having been invited to US littles camps and that in no way incented or played a role in starting a process that takes many years then say things like 'I don't think they want me' or 'I wasn't selected'. Its intellectually dishonest. I realize it takes a long time but alot less time if you started the process 3 yrs ago when there was a relationship with US National Team programs.
    There is also a significant role of parents in this process not related to soccer that we really haven't disected.

20. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    The main part of my rant was the following:

This is the Yanks Abroad forum.

Raul Mendiola is not:

A) A Yank
    B) Abroad

But hey.......knock yourselves out. What do I care? Perhaps my bad mood is waning.

21. SecludedMonkey

SecludedMonkey New Member

Mar 1, 2011
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, shouldn't this thread be in the Mexican forums?

22. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    If citizenship status' never changed I'd agree with you.
    I feel your issue with this but we do know he's stated his wish to play for US
    He has lived in this country for many years, he has earned back to back US Development Academy player of the year honors and we know its unlikely but the point of forums is do discuss the possibility of when he could possibly become a US citizen. He has a known history in this country so in the meantime I hope he stays in the forum under the auspices of possible Yank Hopefully not Abroad.

23. elvinjones

elvinjones Member

Jul 4, 2011
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another guy who unsurprisingly wants to live in a first world country yet play for Mexico. Unless Klinsmann pulls something out of his something, this is all good news for Mexico. :)

24. banbaseball

banbaseball Member

Oct 10, 2000
    East of the Bay
    Because nobody can possibly feel ambivalent about a "first world country". :rolleyes:

25. alky13

alky13 Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Manchester/NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    95% of people who live in third world countries would do anything to live in the US, Canada or Western Europe. Your implications are guilt-ist liberal and daft.