Rating the Minnow Federations

Discussion in 'World Cup 2014: General' started by SoccerKowboy, Jun 19, 2014.

?

Which of the Minnow Federations is the strongest?

1. CONCACAF (North America)

96 vote(s)
    83.5%
  2. CAF (Africa)

14 vote(s)
    12.2%
  3. AFC (Asia)

3 vote(s)
    2.6%
  4. Oceania

2 vote(s)
    1.7%
  1. SoccerKowboy

SoccerKowboy BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 13, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Vote on your choice of strongest federation, and please post how you would rank the four of them. Please rank them based on current strength, not past achievements.

For reference...

Current win-loss records in 2014 World Cup:
    CONCACAF - 3W 1D 1L
    CAF - 1W 1D 5L
    AFC - 0W 3D 4L
    Oceania - No participant

Head to head, CONCACAF is 2-0-0 against CAF nations, and hasn't played AFC nations.
    CAF is 1-1-2 against the other two.
    AFC 0-1-1 against CAF nations, and hasn't played CONCACAF.

Personally, I think CONCACAF is abit ahead of CAF, and substantially ahead of AFC. Two of their victories and one of their draws have been very impressive (Ghana, Uruguay, Brazil).

2. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not even close. CONCACAF is well ahead of UEFA this year.

I cannot say who is worse, though - AFC or CAF. Leaning strongly towards CAF. Utter garbage. Since Oceania isn't even represented, they do not count.

Qdog and Wessoman repped this.
  3. John K

John K Member

Nov 8, 2007
    I'll wait until after the group stage. Wouldn't be surprised if none of the CONCACAF teams get through still.

4. SoccerKowboy

Jul 13, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Ghana and Ivory Coast are pretty solid teams. Japan and Australia just haven't gotten it done, and Iran and Korea look like even weaker teams. Korea got an absolute gift of a draw.

Mexico has essentially a home match against Croatia, so they'd really have to blow it not to make it through. US need a tie against an undermanned Portugal (and the assumed German victory of Ghana) to get through. Costa Rica has the toughest road through, having to take points from Italy or England.

5. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, that didn't take very long:

[​IMG]

Paul Calixte, Guinho, Qdog and 5 others repped this.
  6. fingersave

fingersave Member

Sep 28, 2009
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apparently not so tough.

They looked superior to both teams they have played thus far.

...and yet Eurosnobs will still probably count them as heavy underdogs against the English.

7. Wessoman

Wessoman Member+

Sep 26, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Back in the day, a friend of mine laughed because the USA lost to Costa Rica 3-1 in qualification. He isn't laughing now that England are now out, partially thanks to the Ticos.

Truth is, the bigger CONCACAF teams, USA, Mexico, Costa Rica and yes, even Honduras, would have no problems qualifying out of UEFA. Mainly, because European fans have absolutely no idea how difficult away games for CONCACAF are.

Guinho repped this.
  8. fingersave

fingersave Member

Sep 28, 2009
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Klinsmann didn't either...until he had to experience them for himself.

For all the complaints about the conditions in Brazil, try playing in the Azteca, Honduras, Panama, or Saprissa in Costa Rica. Think it's humid in Manaus? Try Kingston, Jamaica.

Guinho repped this.
  9. Christina99

Christina99 Member+

Argentina
    Sep 22, 2013
    Buenos Aires
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I never thought i would say this, but: CONCACAF

10. ihatewaiting4years

Apr 29, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    thanks to costa rica i'd rank concacaf as the 3rd best federation in the world. didn't think they'd catch up to africa, but it seems like they have. mexico has always represented well.

Socrates_81 repped this.
  11. mfw13

mfw13 Member+

Jul 19, 2003
    Seattle
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    By pretty much any statistical measure you use (% of teams advancing, PPG, etc.), CONCACAF has always been ahead of Africa.

Guinho, Qdog, Revolt and 1 other person repped this.
  12. SoccerKowboy

Jul 13, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe people favor Africa because they have so many players in top European teams, and Concacaf has so few. With few exceptions, African teams are less than the sum of their parts, whereas US, Mexico, and Costa Rica are greater.

The US and Mexico have both been pretty consistently two of the top twenty teams in the world the last 15 or years or so. Looks like Costa Rica is looking to break into that group.

13. Gold is the Colour

Dec 17, 2005
    Perth Australia
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Concacaf have the top three teams from the "minnows" at this world cup from performances so far, although I think CIV could have something to say there. They also have the 2nd bottom team though in Honduras, they performed better v Ecuador, but would still only be ahead of Cameroon (although by a long way).

An interesting thing is that Costa Rica is the only team that is better than last cup. Honduras and Algeria I'm not as sure about, but probably about the same. US is maybe close again, but I think both 06 and 10 teams were better. Iran is on the rise again but still rebuilding, and despite missing the WC their 2010 team was better. Cameroon has lost it completely, Japan and Korea need to rebuild (Korea has started moreso than Japan), and Cote D'Ivoire and Ghana are in decline.

Mexico and Australia are the two teams that really looked to have lost it through the playoffs and scraped through to get here, but performances at the cup have shown they are very much on the way back. Mexico should be have 2 extra goals from the Cameroon game and possibly deserved the win v Brazil. Australia deserved at least a point if not 2 or more out of it's games, and in any other group would be a good chance of qualifying, including in Costa Rica's group - although maybe not as convincingly.

Overall, apart from Cameroon, all "minnow" teams have performed at a WC level at least, as for who is best it depends on how you look at it. C-Caf obviously at this cup is performing best overall, but doesn't have the depth of other confeds. Saying that anyone would have "no trouble" qualifying out of Europe is ridiculous, but all these teams would be at the same level as the majority of Euro teams, and have at least an equal if not better chance as the likes of Russia, Switzerland, Bosnia, Greece, Croatia etc, and even give it a good go in South America.

14. NMMatt

NMMatt Member+

Apr 5, 2006
    Given that CONMEBOL and CONCACAF are clearly the strongest federations, I think your poll is wrong.

The best of the minnow federations is Europe.

15. Makandal

Makandal Member

Apr 21, 2007
    Cambridge, MA (USA)
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Haiti
    And more importantly the top CAF leagues are not as strong as the top CONCACAF leagues.

16. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mexican clubs have dominated the CONCACAF Champions League but not done great in the Club World Cup (which may not make a great comparison between leagues, but what else is there?). If you paired the top CONCACAF and CAF leagues into best vs. best, second vs. second, etc. I think Mexico would win but I wouldn't be surprised if CAF would win at least two of the next four, and this is coming from a fan of MLS.

17. themightymagyar

Aug 25, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, there are a handful of very strong clubs in Africa, but not any league I would say is superior to MLS. Maybe if you take the best clubs from across the continent you could make a formidable league.

18. SoccerKowboy

Jul 13, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, good point. There is much more money in MLS and Liga MX than in any African league.

MLS is starting to become a much more viable incubator of talent worthy of playing at the international level. Several MLS players have played well at the World Cup.

19. M.O.T

M.O.T Member

May 9, 2008
    #19 M.O.T, Jun 21, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2014
    could usa/mexico/honduras even qualify out of caf? somehow i doubt it, or it would be a struggle. you have ghana,civ, nigeria...

then you have the likes of egypt and senegal which are legit teams that don't even make it to the world cup. has anyone even seen egypt play? they are a beast of a team and could give any non top tier fits. i've seen enough of egypt in the african cup of nations to know they aren't a joke team. they can play. if you haven't even seen egypt play, then you really don't know much about caf. they're probably the best team in all of africa, the fact that they haven't even seen a world cup since...what, the 80s?...just speaks to how deep caf is. concacaf are literally two teams deep, costa rica a worthy third, maybe? an all conference caf team would destroy a concacaf team, no problem. and in a concocaf/caf team, how many players from concocaf would even make the first 11? two? dempsey and chicharicho? who else, in all serious? people need to shut up about how concacaf is better than caf...it's just not true and any football purist knows this as fact.

people love to underestimate caf. ah well. the best of concacaf isn't better than the best of caf. and the caf are 15 teams deep. people don't follow it, so they don't know...

mali, senegal, zambia, tunisia, morrocco, egypt...

caf is the third best conference in football and there really isn't any use in discussing it.

it is what it is. we'll see on the field, as usual.

Car123 repped this.
  20. Gold is the Colour

Dec 17, 2005
    Perth Australia
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    See that's just hyperbole. USA, Mexico and maybe even Costa Rica (def this time round) would have the same chance of qualifying in CAF as Ghana, Nigeria and CIV.Same with Japan, Korea and Australia, and the same if you swapped confederations.

21. M.O.T

M.O.T Member

May 9, 2008
    i wish you knew. see, when was the last time you watched even one qualifying match from caf? people love to talk, but they have no idea what they're talking about.

i remember last time tanzania won against cameroon whilst trying to qualify. tanzania!? there are no easy games in africa. we don't get the privilege of small teams that can't do much which means automatic qualification. africa's world cup starts 2 years before concacaf's. you come to africa and every team can beat you on their day. in all seriousness, the caf is 15 teams deep and even mexico and usa would have trouble qualifying if they were in africa. costa rica? i'd rate them at mali's or togo's level. never mind egypt which is just as class as most non uefa non south american teams.

there really isn't any sense in discussing this. you need to have watched a game or two from caf's qualifying before you can talk to me.

22. mfw13

mfw13 Member+

Jul 19, 2003
    Seattle
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Well then I guess you'll have to spend a lot of time talking to yourself, since CAF World Cup qualifiers are not televised outside Africa....

23. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One could also ask how may CAF teams would qualify out of CONCACAF. Good luck playing @USA in a snowstorm, @Mexico in the altitude and pollution; in Central America or at the Office.

SoccerKowboy repped this.
  24. M.O.T

M.O.T Member

May 9, 2008
    this is the internet age. i'm sitting here in the good old us of a and i've watched many of those games. ignorance isn't an excuse. i mean, if you're going to talk...at least know what you're talking about. find an internet stream or something. you have no excuse.

not that usa/mexico aren't good. they are very good teams. it's just that, as a conference, it really isn't even close if you've actually watched the relevant teams.

25. Gold is the Colour

Dec 17, 2005
    Perth Australia
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    You said USA and Mexico couldn't even qualify out of CAF. I said they would have the same chance as the likes of Ghana, Nigeria and CIV. Are you saying that Mexico and USA aren't as good as African teams? Keep in mind the results we have seen so far.

Traditionally Costa Rica may not be at the same level, but this cycle they are.