Rate MLS Opening Weekend 2004

Discussion in 'BigSoccer Polls' started by Huss, Apr 2, 2004.

1. Huss

Huss Member

Aug 1, 1995
    New York, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Rate MLS Opening Weekend 2004 ... please ...

2. DamonEsquire

DamonEsquire BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 16, 2002
    Kentucky
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It still seemingly small time to me. A quick fix. Come to Kentucky. I go "A".

3. URwormfood

URwormfood Member

Mar 24, 2004
    6 feet under: LOT 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I gave an "A"....I want to see SC put about 1 or 2 highlights!

Would be nice to see a highlight of Adu with a ""GOAL!!!!!!"

~~~Worm~~~

4. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would give a tentative A- after DCU-Quakes. An otherwise good match marred by some poor officiating.

5. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York
    2 low scoring draws and 3 quality, exciting games.

B

6. Deuteriumoxide

May 27, 2003
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The DC - San Jose game was the most negative, boring match I have seen in a long long time. What a terrible match to try and hook average joe sports fan in with freddy adu. Back pass back pass, giveaway, foul... free kick...

Was it Craig Waibel that kept on wiffing at those back passes?

Just a terribley played match on boy sides.

I think the announcers were bored to death because every time freddy got near the ball I swear they were going to have a kitten.

The other games, judging by MLS wrap seemed entertaining enough, and the LA New England match definitley WAS more entertaining, so all and all I give the week a B.

7. BallStateMiddie

BallStateMiddie New Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Nashvegas
    I think exactly what he thought. Except the opposite.

8. Mel Brennan

Mel Brennan PLANITARCHIS' BANE

Paris Saint Germain
    United States
    Apr 8, 2002
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Solid work on and off the pitch that has been recognised around the soccer world. "A."

9. Calexico77

Calexico77 Member

Sep 19, 2003
    Mid-City LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Game Play: SJ/DC looked bizarre. But the non-soccer fans that I talked to who watched it were entertained by the drama, red cards, Alecko t-shirt, Freddy Hype. Not bad. LA/NE was a frickin' BALL to watch on TV. I didn't see any other games, but two draws is no way to start a season: B

Attendance: Solid, accept for the Burm. But because there are only 10 teams, and we can partially blame the Rapids for having the draw potential of a sequel to "Glitter" starring Rae Dawn Chong, everyone is made to suffer: B

Hype: I didn't really see any hype for any of the games. It's too bad, I think Herzog's debut as the oldest Austrian to start in the MLS is a big story: B :p

Bonus Points:
    We'll see how the ratings were.
    I liked how crass Wynalda was.
    I liked seeing Barra Brava shaking the stands. . .

Take away points:
    No Expansion announcement? Grrrr
    I would have liked to see some TV coverage of the new stadiums
    San Jose and New England looked like they were just wearing baggy white
    t-shirts. Boring

Final Grade: B (but a solid one)

10. sljohn

sljohn Member

Apr 28, 2001
    Out of town
    You're right, they can do better. Last year the season started off with 6 of the first 10 games ending in a tie (even after OT!). ;)

11. cliffkram

cliffkram Member

May 4, 2003
    Brum via NYC
    I gave it overall a B....

DC/SJ gets B- because there was no real flow, and it was marred by a terrible ref.
    MET/CLB gets A because it was a favorable score for me, some really nice goals scored (Magee made #2 on SportsCenter top 10 plays of Saturday) and overall very athletic
    LA/NE gets an A. Goals everywhere, 2 teams that will contend in their divisions (stupid double table)
    KC/CHI gets a C. No goals between 2 teams that should have been able to combine for at least 3
    DAL/COL gets a C. Another lowscoring tie, BFO apparently forgot that it was opening day...7,000? Please, LI Roughriders get better crowds.

Crowds get an A- (Burn took that down of course). LA crowd was good, but a little too many horns. DC had best crowd (i still get goose bumps everytime i see the stands bounce). Nice away crowd for Metro at CLB.

12. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    It was a story of the haves (LA, NY, DC, NE)

and the have-nots (DAL, CREW, COL, KC)

and then Chicago and SJ underperforming.

Seriously, it looked like two separate leagues out there, one in 2004 featuring amazing games like LA/NE and then another that was MLS cerca 1998 with that tepid Burn/Rapids affair.

I think the Hunt teams are in BIG trouble this year.

13. Femfa

Femfa New Member

Jun 3, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Ranking games:

Galaxy/Revolution - reach the pinnacle because of the amount and quality of goals scored, new players to watch, exciting end-to-end action, crowd involvement, yeah, good stuff.

Metros/Crew - the kids, Magee and Gaven strut their stuff.

Earthquakes/United - the return of Moreno, the classy tribute by Esky, watchin Freddy. Minus for the ref.

Burn/Rapids - Low points for crowd, but at least both teams scored.

Fire/Wizards - Unlike say, in this game. :cool:

14. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York
    Oh, I know why those people didn't like the SJ-DC game. They're Metro fans! :D

15. cliffkram

cliffkram Member

May 4, 2003
    Brum via NYC
    I'm Metro and I have nothing bad to say about the match except the ref

16. Trackman20

Trackman20 Member

May 14, 2003
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I give it an A......MLSNET gave us the opportunity to watch every game live streaming video from direct TV! Absolutely outstanding. Good quality of play throughout the league except for Convey blowing a lay up.......:)

GO FIRE!

17. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    I gave it a "F"! The officiating was pure festering shite and not just the DC/San Jose game, all the referees stunk up the venues. Will it get better? No, this is, after all, the MLS:rolleyes:

18. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    I didn't even realize it was opening weekend.

It's called FOOTBALL repped this.
  19. Matt Crawford Rulz!

Matt Crawford Rulz! New Member

Apr 5, 2004
    Well I say,That Colorado Could Have did better,But is Still my favorite team!

20. christopher d

christopher d New Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Weehawken, NJ
    A... If I could, an A+.

The day started with a San Jose loss. That gets it a B+ straight out of the blocks. By the time we got to the Galaxy's triumph, we're off the scale.

Of course, even if things had gone completely south, I don't see how any day of soccer could rate less than a B.

21. soccerstud014

soccerstud014 New Member

Apr 6, 2004
    I give opening day an "A". Although the Burn game was horrific, the rest I enjoyed the rest of the games. The D.C. United game was awesome...well kinda...it was close lol

22. dabanh

dabanh New Member

Aug 14, 2001
    hampton, va
    we have got to push MLS to the max. It is like a passion. the opening weeekend is good ..... lets pursue.