Rapids-Wizards Pre/Post Game Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by gschroeder, Oct 3, 2003.

1. gschroeder

gschroeder Member

Jun 18, 2001
    Thornton, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    From the Denver Post:
    www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,1413,36~94~1672911,00.html

Says Pablo is probably out due to strained Quads as well as in danger of being suspended if he gets one more yellow.
    Spencer is probably out with strained Hamstring
    Fraser out on Red.

So we've got Powell Starting in Frasers spot
    Crawford in for Pablo
    Beckerman back in midfield
    Zizi in for Spencer
    And no broadcast to watch.
    Should be interesting.

Raipds 3-1 Crawford gets his first.

2. greenie

greenie New Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    No guarantee that Powell will start in D, or even start at all. Both are things that Hankinson is "considering."

Call it the benefit of improved Rapids media coverage. Reporters are now asking questions like "with Fraser out, are you thinking about using Powell or Mastroeni in his place?"

3. Malaga CF fan

Malaga CF fan Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree, nice to find that out in the paper on Friday before a Saturday road match.

I have a funny feeling about this match. Don't know why, but with Pablo possibly sitting and Spencer out, we may have a tough time with KC. Although scoring against them hasn't been a problem all year, I'd like to see Zizi get on the board just to show that he deserves the spot and can fill in when the Spencer goes down. I'm really hoping that Spencer's injury is just a hiccup on the way to the playoffs and not something that is going to nag and keep him out of the important matches that are coming up. Best to rest him now, but I hope it's not anything more.

KC got back on their feet beating LA, so we will see if that was a sign of life, or just an aberation. Question: If the Rapids would really rather face KC than LA, do we play for a point? I know professionals aren't supposed to play that way, but is that in the back of the Rapids minds?

4. GoRapids

GoRapids Member

Sep 1, 1999
    Boulder CO
    Let's say all the Post's specualation comes true ...

Here's what I'd expect:

CC ZZ

Chung Becks Powell Hendo

Rizzo Katschau Borchers Hart

Garlick

If not Rizzo ... maybe Crawford back there ...

or even more radical ... a 3-5-2

CC ZZ

Chung Becks Hendo

Powell Crawford

Katschau Borchers Hart

Garlick

WHAT SAY YOU?

5. greenie

greenie New Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    First off, if Otto's speculation is correct then Powell will be in back with Borchers.

Secondly, both Trembly and Crawford did well enough in the middle of the park to warrant a place in the lineup against KC; I'd fully expect at least one of them to partner with Beckerman.

Third, no way that Rizzo starts. Are you kidding?

My guess is that Hankinson changes the starting lineup as little as possible:

Zizi Carrieri
    Chung Becks Shorty Hendo
    Kotschau PowPowl Thor Hart
    Clove

6. nowar99

nowar99 Member

Apr 14, 2003
    Boulder
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    This is one of the dangers of us not using any/many subs.

Hopefully Powell will be able to step up and play a full game.

I don't mind Crawford being in there (I thought he played a good game last week).

I guess I'll just have to disagree with everyone on Trembly. From section 123, I didn't think Trembly looked that great. For every decent play he made, there were two where he was passing the ball to a Fire player or flopping on the ground (or, in some cases, appeared to be diving).

Now is the time to be finding some time for Kingsley as well, with a pretty thin bench.

I see a tie or a loss coming here. Hopefully we will not see anymore red cards.

And, while I am thrilled to see Kroenke buy the team and hear the plans he has, not finding a way to broadcast (even if tape delayed) the first road game under his ownership is not a way to win fans.

7. cljco

cljco New Member

Jul 8, 2003
    Denver

No way on Rizo. He's a definately a last resort. The one or two games he's played in he looked like he didn't even know where he was supposed to be.

I think Powell in a center defensive position with Thor would be best since it would allow him to organize the defense and help support the mid-field from the back. With Spenny out we need that experience and leadership. I'm still not a huge fan of Trembly but he did look pretty good the other night. For such a little guy he was really getting some altitude on the air balls. It's a toss up for me between him and Crawford.

cc zz in front
    chung, hendo, becks, crawford/trembly in mid
    Kotchau, thor, powell, hart in back

I think they showed on Wednesday they're very capable of going up against the best off the bench. And I'd hardly call KC winning one game an "upswing". It'll be a good fight though. Too bad we won't be able to see it. (grrrrrrr)

8. DavidJames

DavidJames Member+

May 11, 2003
    Longmont
    "I guess I'll just have to disagree with everyone on Trembly. From section 123, I didn't think Trembly looked that great. For every decent play he made, there were two where he was passing the ball to a Fire player or flopping on the ground (or, in some cases, appeared to be diving)."

I'm next to you in 122 and maybe it was the view :) but I saw the same things. I really like the way he fly's around the field like a gnat at a barbeque, but he does very little once he gets control. In addition to scattering random passes to and fro, he was muscled off ball a number of times.

9. bigdush

bigdush New Member

Jul 22, 2003
    Parker, CO
    KC 2-1 Rapids

Gus St. Silva's spirit takes over the body of the center referee, awards 3 penalty kicks one for a foul on jon busch, garlick saves one.

Chunger gets a red card for a kicking the ball way to darn hard and hurting the back of the net.

10. gschroeder

gschroeder Member

Jun 18, 2001
    Thornton, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    CC scattered a few balls to and fro and I believe Spencer has a tendency to lay off, back heel dummy his fair share of balls which often result in givaways. Not saying either of these 2 guys are bad because when they're on their hott but it happens to the best of them.

Also something to think about is the intensity. No Pablo, and no Spencer and a toned down CC really eliminates the largest intensity players out there. One thing I've noticed with Trembly is that while he isn't a master ball handler and distributer, he does bring a spark that Kingsley, Crawford or Schmidt don't have. He may be a high yellow card risk but as we've seen the only way not to get a yellow as of late is to bring chocolate and flowers before the tackle (or lack thereof). Besides IMO, the best matchup in the midfield when dealing with Beckerman is Trembly. I think they are used to each other and mesh well.

Thats just my opinion so I could be wrong.

11. DavidJames

DavidJames Member+

May 11, 2003
    Longmont
    "CC scattered a few balls to and fro and I believe Spencer has a tendency to lay off, back heel dummy his fair share of balls which often result in givaways."

Agreed, CC had one of his worst games the other night, although amazingly enough if he would have sliced either of those two shots just a bit he might have had 2 goals and don't get me started on Spencers dummies :)

Agreed it happens to all, but that's where I try to find a balance between good and bad and we differ on that balance. I'm fine with his ability to disrupt the play of the other team, but I see his bad offensive plays disrupting the Rapids just as much.

Just for perspective, I've never been a big fan of Armas for many of the same reasons so I actually look at Seth as a bad Chris Armas.

That's my opinion and I definitly could be wrong :)

12. Malaga CF fan

Malaga CF fan Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe I'm crossing my fan signals here and my bad feeling about this game is really just a tremor of the Broncos-Chiefs matchup some short 13-15 hours later in the same stadium... So forget the bad feeling, the Rapids are going to put the fear of God in KC, they will can the rest of their games just so they can avoid seeing the Rapids in the first round of the playoffs and instead, look to get whipped by the Quakes.

Maybe the Rapids can put a little Colorado voodoo/mojo on both KC teams. Could we get Garlick to take a piss in both goalmouths or something (I read that a riot erupted in Africa after a goalkeeper did that to hex his goal, then a forward came along and tried to reverse the hex, apparently it's a common practice there...)?

So here's a brainless-based-0-facts prediction:
    Rapids 3-KC 1. Goals: Carrieri (2), Chung, KC: Preki (PK, foul courtesy of Powell)

13. spot

spot Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Centennial
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A 3-5-2 may not be that bad an idea. I kind of wonder if having Powell playing center back in a 442 will result in a 352 anyway.

I expect that we'll see a center mid tandem of Beckerman and Trembley. I won't be terribly disappointed with that since I think the two of them have, so far, combined to form our best midfield unit. Take either out and the other doesn't seem to perform as well.

I expect we'll see, either:

CC ZZ
    Chung Trembley Beckerman Hendo
    Kotschau Powell Thor Hart
    Garlick

or

CC ZZ
    Chung Trembley Hendon
    Beckerman Crawford
    Kotschau Thor Hart

What are the odds that ZZ ends up on the defensive back line?

14. Ingmar4Rapids

Ingmar4Rapids Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Denver, Colorado
    Re: Re: Rapids-Wizards Pre/Post Game Thread [R]

Agreed on the subs, but how can you mess with a streak? The Rapids were winning like crazy.

I would like to see Crawford with Becks to see how he works out. Becks has been playing the more holding mid role staying behind Pablo. So Crawford, being a more natural attacking player, can get forward this week and let Kyle stay back this week. I don't think the partnership with Trembly was very cohesive.

If Powell is fit, maybe he can pop back there and do the job. Pablo shifted to the back line with great success earlier. Sure, he was game shape, but still playing a different position. Hell, with Thor back there, we can use a 3-5-2 with Powell as a mid and still not get scored on! Thor euphoria still reigns!

15. greenie

greenie New Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    Re: Re: Re: Rapids-Wizards Pre/Post Game Thread [R]

With regards to his play in defense, Powell's fitness is only a question of whether or not he can stay injury-free for 90 minutes. Fraser is effective not because he's a strong, speedy physical speciment but because he reads the play of the ball so damn well. I'd like to think that Powell's long internatinal and English experience will offer the same advantage.

For me the big concern regarding Powell in defense is how well he communicates with his defenders and more importantly how well he pays attention to Garlick. This is always one of the toughest adjustments for any new central defender to make in the lineup, especially a sweeper.

As for Borchers, the kid is having a great year but let's keep our feet grounded to Earth when it comes to his capabilities. He is far from being ready to play as the lone central defender in a 3-5-2; his skills are still improving as is his ability to read the play (he's lucky to not have been called for 3 more PKs this season), and he doesn't have the experience nor respect of his teammates to the level required that he'll be making defensive commands.

Keep in mind that a massive factor in Borcher's success this year is the knowledge and experience that Fraser brings to the game. His tutelage in training and communication with Borchers during a match have been outstanding this year. There's no way Borchers and the Rapids defense would have done consistently well over the past 12 games without Fraser.

16. LuvMLS

LuvMLS New Member

Apr 15, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Ah! were down 1 nill, Conrad scored from Preki in the 15th, would be nice to WATCH this!

17. LuvMLS

LuvMLS New Member

Apr 15, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    great now were down 2 nil

18. jimmyco

jimmyco Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Aurora, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure you still wanna watch this?

19. jimmyco

jimmyco Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Aurora, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Got to HT without giving up any more -- looks like we've stopped the bleeding for now...

20. LuvMLS

LuvMLS New Member

Apr 15, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    We have NO shots on goal. Time to bring in the strikers, Zach, Casey and go for it!!

21. jimmyco

jimmyco Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Aurora, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where's the magic sponge

Looks like Becks is getting a bit of a beating out there. 5 fouls suffered.

22. jimmyco

jimmyco Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Aurora, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WOOO-HOOO!

23. LuvMLS

LuvMLS New Member

Apr 15, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Fox Sports World said we are up 2-1, my guess is the other way around. Is Mlsnet.com down?

24. LuvMLS

LuvMLS New Member

Apr 15, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    2-2 yeah baby here we come!! This team just does not let down!!!!!

25. LuvMLS

LuvMLS New Member

Apr 15, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    This is soooooo frustrating not to be able to watch this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What a come back!! Zizi, Chris HENDERSON!