Rapids vs. New England Sat 09/18 7:00 PM

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by DavidJames, Sep 15, 2010.

1. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Well, since Wells had it on his shirt

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

...oooooh, there's smoke in the air. Hope it's not a wild fire in Commerce City :D

2. prk166

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Good to see the Rapids get a 3-0 win tonight. While the team's had it's frustrating moments, they really needed more than a win to help improve their goal difference for any possible.

3. danfalcons18

danfalcons18 Member

Mar 28, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    Another 3-0 result for the Rapids at home, and I can't help but thinking the games against Philly and DC will be the same.

Mullan played great, and he'll be even better once he gets used to that altitude. He was huffing and puffing at the 11 minute mark.

Koskue had a great game, great crosses, overlapping runs, ect. Decent defensive effort, although I'm not sure if I really like Anthony Wallace- he's pretty shaky.

Casey's goal was because of a world class combination, Cummings's was great, and Thompson's was a decent finish (and a good celebration too).

Kandji tried to do too much, and was a bit too selfish, although I like this addition and thought he played all right.

But honestly the highlight for me was the final 2 minutes when we held the ball in the corner and the Revs were getting extremely frustrating. It might be a stretch, but that was my favorite part of tonight's game.

Ok, I think we can all agree that New England should be relegated to USL division two, enough said, although Reis had a stellar game.

Playoffs, here we come!

4. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Yeah, they're not coming up with the performances we like against the top of the table road opponents, but at least they're taking care of business at home.

Hopefully they can bring more of an attack out early in the game next week. NYRB had 'em on the run a bit early.

5. snowboarder

snowboarder Member

Jun 22, 2007
    Another 3-0 win that could have/should have been 5-0 versus a team that is in bad shape right now. Good. Three points in the bag and move on.

I understand that in three or four days there will be a thread for the Salt Lake match but I'll say it right now....next week is going to be the "real" deal.

3-0 win in Salt Lake will make the Rapids a team that could "win the cup" or "be a threat in the playoffs."

Also, the Rocky Mountain Cup is on the line and obviously it is "what have you done for me lately" in that category.

6. deron

deron New Member

Jul 25, 2006
    Centennial, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought he was arrangements for a slightly early tea.

7. fhnkeeper03

fhnkeeper03 Member

Jan 27, 2006
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    whoever ironed on Thompsons name on his shirt should be fired. lol.. anyone else notice?

Its said Thopmson!

8. snowboarder

snowboarder Member

Jun 22, 2007
    They might have been to busy ironing the undershirt for his goal celebration. :D

9. deron

deron New Member

Jul 25, 2006
    Centennial, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They've had plenty of time to get it right.

10. snowboarder

snowboarder Member

Jun 22, 2007
    deron, Wells is low on the totem pole now that there is new blood in the locker room.

The Equipment Manager is going to throw whatever is in the basket into Thompson's closet now.

:p

11. DavidJames

DavidJames Member+

May 11, 2003
    Longmont
    My recap is up.

A great team effort with solid performances from everyone who played. An expected win, sure, but it was fun to watch because the team played positive, often relentless, soccer.

My players ratings are the highest of the year. Having said that...
    I think this team is capable of doing just that.

12. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    One thing I liked, Mullan seems to have a nice first touch, which comes in handy when sending him crosses from across the field. I thought he should have shot sooner, since the angle tightened up on him, but otherwise it was an exciting debut. This guy could really help.

13. snowboarder

snowboarder Member

Jun 22, 2007
    I can recall when Matt Pickens had to make some real saves on goal when the score was an "easy" 2-0 victory.

New England is/was terrible but they still wanted to fight to the end.

Just ask Kandji.

14. snowboarder

snowboarder Member

Jun 22, 2007
    Before the score was 2-0, Mullan missed his first touch pass plenty of times. He is still trying to get used to his teammates.

15. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Last year we had 5 straight home games where we won and shut the other side out.

Dallas: 1-0
    NY: 4-0
    Chivas: 4-0
    Houston: 1-0
    Toronto: 1-0

However we have never had 3 straight shutout wins at home when we've scored more that one goal in every game until now.

16. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did anyone count how many times Kimura missed a pass, passed it out of bounds or passed to the other team?

17. deron

deron New Member

Jul 25, 2006
    Centennial, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't that your job?

I did notice that he's had two games in a row where his cross hit the head of a teammate, but for fouls and poor finishing he'll get no credit.

18. DavidJames

DavidJames Member+

May 11, 2003
    Longmont
    I thought Kimura did a great job defending, which is job one. Job two is getting the ball up field to a team member, he did that poorly. While he did cross the ball well a few times, many more times he gave the ball away in the defensive end.

For a defender, a few nice crosses do not make up for giving the ball away in your own end.

Don't let the last few negative sentences cloud the first, however.

19. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Were defenders taking goal kicks for Pickens last week? That seemed odd last night. Is it his back, or maybe some minor leg problem?

20. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Pickens has a groin injury. I thought Kimura (whatever his name is, the right back) played well, I though he defended OK and made some decent crosses. Crosses are a low percentage play, so I don't mind when some don't go to anybody.

I thought the Rapids looked like Brazil! Kidding, but it was the best I remember them in a long time. They did miss chances, but other than that...

21. prk166

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    I'd like better but with the salary cap I'm not sure I'd want to see the team put more resources into RB versus other things.

22. milehimarc

milehimarc New Member

Aug 16, 1999
    Northglenn, CO USA
    Totoro...

True...
    Pickens had an iffy groin Saturday night...confirmed by Rapids PR in the 2nd half...mentioned once during the game broadcast...possibly when the word "fullback" came up in coversation.
    Marc

23. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Thanks for the info on Pickens...you miss these things when at the stadium and have to look them up afterward.

Re. Mullan's first touch, watching my recording, it looks like Mullan had bad 1st touches when playing on the left. There was one play that was particularly bad, he was running up the left sideline at made an awkward stab at a cross from Smith and ended up losing it to the defender.

On the right though, esp, in the first 20 minutes or so when the Rapids set the pace, he was really good. So I remain hopeful that he can add a way to bring pressure on the attack when playing the tough teams.

24. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What he said.

I don't think Kimura (right now) is a starting player when everyone is healthy, but he's a solid MLS-level 5th defender to come off the bench when we need a change or a player is unavailable.

25. miguel

miguel Member

Nov 26, 1998
    Overall, that was one of the best games of the season for the Rapids.

Omar and Casey worked great in tandum and Mullins is a good fit moving that ball forward. I think Mac will score us some goals based on his speed and his attacking skills when he gets up to speed and learns to mesh with his team mates. He has one hell of a long stride, and when he starts moving the ball forward most defenders are going to be quick, or they'll have to foul him.

Wallace at left back is still feeling his way about, and he's making rookie mistakes, but that's how you learn and I think he'll do just fine as he gains more playing time. Our pick up from San Jose still continues to underwhelm me with his time on the pitch, but I think he's young and that's the reason Smith wants to give him the opportunity to prove he can play up top with the big boys and to prove to us, that this wasn't another bad Rapids trade. Hope he proves me wrong.

Glad to see Pickens was able to gut it out with that groin strain. Not being able to punt the ball is gonna kill us in a close game. I'd have pulled him at the half with a 2 goal lead, or at least, after Wells scored number 3 and the game was in the bag.

Hard to find any bad things to say about that game and the way our guys hustled. However, in the words of Jay Heaps (he did the color commentary of my direct kick pkg game) "when you're ahead by 3 goals in extra time, why hold the ball in the corner and risk a serious injury to one of your strikers from an opposition defender who is looking to get a little pay back for a long night of humiliation?" or words to that effect. As some one posted previously, why not let everyone kick it all around the field and get some "OLEs" out of the crowd.

The team will need to play with the same enthusiasm next week in Salt Lake and then maybe we can end their home field winning streak..Good luck Rapids.