Rapids vs Fire Pre/Post Game 10/1 [R]

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by gschroeder, Sep 27, 2003.

1. mls0soccer0nmu

mls0soccer0nmu New Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Burke, VA
    Does anybody know where Spencer is?

2. Emiliano240

Emiliano240 New Member

Feb 28, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Look, look - Upfront the first goal scored was OFFSIDES... A rare break for the Fire, just wanted to make that clear; - If this is a one goal game you have a legitimate gripe...err perhaps...

It's not like i'm not thankful, but I could understand people being pissed about this. Hopefully, (for me) this game will not be decided on just one goal.

3. Emiliano240

Emiliano240 New Member

Feb 28, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Umm, now after the play in the 52nd minuite, now I do feel like the fire have been screwed likewise... call it even???

4. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2001
    Jakarta
    Cheekago up 1-0 witha 47th minute goal. Ralph put in a shot that was deflected in by Marsch, who was apparently in an offside position. Ralph gets the assist.

Rapids have had chances, ZZ had two solid shots in the first half that were both straight at Thornton. Big Zach also stopped Carrieri on a 2-on-2 break.

12K or so in attendance this evening.

5. Emiliano240

Emiliano240 New Member

Feb 28, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    *#*#*#*#*# it! i've been going out of my way to be nice to the Rapids and now Frasier pulls this S&iT!!!!

I'm done posting here for tonight.

Shame on you and I hope Frasier gets FINED!! AND SUSPENDED AND THEN SOME!!

I try to be nice, try to be respectful, and then this!!!

6. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2001
    Jakarta
    Couple substitutions, the enigmatic Darryl Powell on for Crawford and Chicago's Nate Jacqua on for Ralph in the 76th minute or so. DP's first appearance since hitting American soil three months ago.

Now Fraser gets a straight red for what was apparently a clean tackle on Razov ... Powell was the first Rapid up in the ref's grill. That call described as "little league" by the Raps announcers.

TOR!!! Chunger with a FK 25 yards out straight into the upper 90, 1-1!

7. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2001
    Jakarta
    Ta.

8. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2001
    Jakarta
    86th minute, Rapids giving up a couple odd-man rushes in the aftermath. Hart in particular getting caught up the field.

So who wins the Powell Pool? I think I had the game at San Jose.

9. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2001
    Jakarta
    Five minutes of time added ... when did MLS start importing Italian refs?

10. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2001
    Jakarta
    Hammy strain ... apparently a game-time decision.

OT underway.

11. Emiliano240

Emiliano240 New Member

Feb 28, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    jesse marsh, has a large gash/abrasion on his tibia... way to go fasier! dont even tell me that wasn't red card worthy.

i wonder now how many games we'll now be without his services...?

I'm all about plqaying 100%, but a challenge like that - that is classless..

looks like it's now gonna be a 1-1 draw...i'll take that and wont complain - both of our teams were robbed per se.....

12. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2001
    Jakarta
    Final whistle, 1-1 is your score.

Once again the Raps get points despite being down a man.

13. GutBomb

GutBomb Red Card

Aug 28, 2003
    Outside Boston
    i am sorry that's not how it looked to me on tv. fraser barely touched him and came away with the ball. that should not have even been a yellow card. great that we didn't fold after that

14. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was a hell of a free kick by Chung. Can't say it was a pretty game, but I must say a pretty good showing from Colorado. Frasier did deserve the red, it was a hard, over the top, studs up tackle. You can't go in that hard and show the bottom of the boot. No fine or suspension is deserved though.

Wouldn't mind seeing your boys in the Cup final...well maybe I would. It would be a great show. Borchers is an animal. If I never hear his name again it will be too soon.

You didn't hear the *crack* when his studs connected with Marsch's guard?

15. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2001
    Jakarta
    Stigmata

16. spot

spot Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Centennial
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A point, a point, a point, the guys can grind it out when needed, amazing!!... but we missed some beautiful chances, too.

Frasier - Bummer of a red. On the replays I didn't think it was deserved. When it occurred it was so fast, hard, and loud that it seemed certain someone would be seeing red. If anything I thought they both went in pretty wrecklessly. I also didn't think he went over the ball, he went through it, but not over.

Borchers - None shall pass.

Zizi - I'm not sold on old Zizi. He's got size, but no shot, no speed, and no heading ability. I don't think he's worth an SI slot. Maybe he's just not gelling, or maybe he just won't.

Chung - Unbelievable shot.

Jack Edwards - Painful to listen to.

I'm proud of the guys for this game. They fought hard without Beckerman, Pablo, and Spencer. Just the loss of 3 starters is enough to unbalance any team. Fighting back, after giving up a fluky goal and a red to Frasier, took a lot of guts. Chicago had the run of play, but we blew the better chances.

17. Emiliano240

Emiliano240 New Member

Feb 28, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Spot, well I'll concede this and then some... I had respect for Colorado well before this game, and you guy's simply showed up and did and damn good job - regardless of the players you were missing.

As a Fire fan, on paper, we should have won this game - but you guy's made the difference when it counted. Other than the Frasier incident i can't bitch at all.

What sucks the most is that we just both made the road to the Supporters Shield easier for LA. If anything I wish this game wouldn't have ended in a draw - either way.

18. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a shame. Fraser was having a great game until the red.

Thor may not be ROY, but maybe he should be considered MVP?? What's the Rapids record with him in the lineup versus him not being in the lineup?

[/quote]

Zizi - I'm not sold on old Zizi. He's got size, but no shot, no speed, and no heading ability. I don't think he's worth an SI slot. Maybe he's just not gelling, or maybe he just won't.

[/quote]

Thought Zizi had a pretty good game, especially considering all the rust he must have on him. Can still help the Rapids down the stretch.

Incredible.

The absolute worst. Thank GOD he doesn't do national tv games anymore for MLS or the Nats. Worse than nails on a chalkboard, and a total moron and idiot to boot.

As you should be. They played with much more heart than the Fire, right down to the bitter end.

Too bad the Rapids couldn't have pulled it out, even down a man. A few better flick ons in the final 1/3 and they might have done so.

Still, except for Edwards, an enjoyable game.

19. Emiliano240

Emiliano240 New Member

Feb 28, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    trooperbari - is your avatar a picture of christopher lowell?

20. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    Fraser got ball first, and Marsch got hit on the followthrough. I couldn't hear any crack but I was on the other side of the stadium. I did have a view of the whole play though.

21. DavidJames

DavidJames Member+

May 11, 2003
    Longmont
    Geez, am I on the Chicago board? :)

Sorry, Frasers "foul" was barely a foul, a joke if it's a yellow and a crime as a red. He contacted the ball a yard in in front of Marsh.

Thor is unbelievable, he was everywhere. He owned the defensive half. His strip of Razov in the second half was grand larceny.

"None shall pass" - well done, I wish I had said that :)

The Rapids were clearly the better team after the red card. They started strong then yielded possession for a while. The Fire goal was against the run of play, I thought. I don't know what the issue was, the replays in the stadium seemed to concentrate on a possible hand ball by Ralph, but those here thought there may have been an offside, who knows!

Was CC tripped in the 2nd minute in the box?

Zizi - some good, lots of bad - he needs to read the offsides rule again.

Powell - nothing real special but I didn't see any mistakes and distributed with authority. I am surprised he came in for Crawford. I thought Matt played well and would have brought out Seth or Hendo, probably both.

Final thought, an outstanding, gutty performance. Down 3 starters against a quality team. Great job.

22. Emiliano240

Emiliano240 New Member

Feb 28, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Trash Talking?? Umm no, not here... Not given this performance espically...

The Rapids showed up in a big way - A sad way to be vindicated but honestly - I think you're the #3 team hands down.

Surely you must understand that as a Fire fan any play that would result in such injury is a big negative - and well, I strongly feel Frasier's play was more than unnecessary and overly aggressive.

However, it also apprears to me the red card if anything energized colorado.

But as far as the Rapids go, overall you're a class team which is fun to watch - Fire v. Rapids in the playoffs would be a great matchup!

I just hate to see red cards either way about it! The last thing i want to see is any player, either team, getting injured!!!

23. smudgeyjoe

smudgeyjoe Member

Dec 15, 2001
    Westminster Colorado
    Borchers For President

That was as good a performance as I have seen in this league defensively shutting the door on anyone who came into his area. And....he's a youngster. I am very sorry that the Fire's player was injured on Robin's tackle, but he cleanly got the ball a good yard before he contacted the player. It was unfortunate, and just bad luck for the Fire. I might have given him a yellow because of the vicious way it turned out, but no way a red. He got the ball and had no control of Marsch's decision to go up in the air. Not a question that the Fire goal was achieved with a player offsides, but considering the numerous calls the ref missed on both sides, that is not surprising. ZiZi was offsides a good five times that were never called. I thought Powell looked really excellent. He made several hard and low pinpoint passes unlike any we have seen this season by the midfield. The one in the OT from left to right through 3 Fire players to ZiZi was amazing. Hendo was really gassed by the last 10 minutes of regulation. I think I would have brought Darrell in for him. There were several leading passes that he normally would have gotten to that slipped by and out of bounds.

Overall, an amazing achievement considering they were playing without 3 starters, and down a man for an appreciable time. Way To Go Raps!!!!!!

24. gschroeder

gschroeder Member

Jun 18, 2001
    Thornton, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Who's this guy Chung you all keep talking about? Sounds like he comes through when we need him. :)

Powell I thought looked good. i just don't know who to sacrifice for him. He'll work next game since Fraser will be out and Pablo will have to drop back. Trembly even looked okay IMO.

Goal of the week for Chungy! I can't even speak.

25. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2001
    Jakarta
    That's the one and only Tony Kornheiser, friend to soccer fans the world over.