Rapids vs. Crew Pregame/Postgame Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by pappekak, May 6, 2003.

1. danjo

danjo New Member

Apr 14, 2003
    Hankinson should let Beckerman play in front of Pablo and let him loose a little bit... don't give him so many defensive responsibilities... similar to the role he played when with the U-17's... this kid has a lot of ability... he also should put Chung on the wing and if he refuses to work his butt off, take him out of the lineup... i'd put Schmidt and Spenny up top... the back four should be Hart on the right, Rizo on the left, Stewart and anyone other than Fraser in the middle...

that's my $.02
    I like your $.02! What does hankinson have to lose if he goes with this lineup or tries new combinations of players that he won't play. The team just might start winning. His decisions have already put us in the cellar!

2. Northcal19

Northcal19 New Member

Feb 18, 2000
    Celtic Tavern LODO (
    Okay then. I don't think they (the Rapids) are so friggin' dynamic. I also really like Arsenal. I have 3 jerseys.

3. Chris_Bailey

Chris_Bailey Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Chicago
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Yours is the one sucking, obviously.

I think this one will be 2-0 or 2-1 Crew, I just see Colorado playing scrappy clock-killing tactics....and it works . . . till we adjust in the second half.

4. greenie

greenie New Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    I'll assume with your extensive knowledge of the Rapids that you subscribe to the Shootout and have made sure to watch all of our games this year.

Cough.

Seriously though, I'm curious why you think "Fraser is a joke." To me the guy looks pretty damn smart in the backfield, isn't getting beaten badly to balls and hasn't shown any direct blame for this year's results.

As for Chung, you've got it the opposite. Hankinson is the one telling him to be a floater rather than a pure winger. He's doing the same thing with Henderson. And it's a mess.

Roberts? Yeah, I guess being directly involved (scoring two and creating PK for third) in all of the Rapids' goals this year isn't showing anything worthwhile.

5. Malaga CF fan

Malaga CF fan Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, we are getting 0 respect from two major columnists this week on predictions. Bradley (Crew 5-Rapids 2) and Connolly (Crew 4-Rapids 0).

Do they know something we don't, or is it just that time of year to pack in the season?

6. DaniCrew

DaniCrew Member

Nov 15, 2000
    Tallmadge, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, yes, i have watched all your games so far this year...

Fraser... i just think his time has passed (like that stiff Balboa)... it's an opinion... as the veteran presence on your backline, he is very much responsible for calling out the marks back there... there have been far too many openings in your defense to say that he is taking charge of anything... granted, much of that has to do with the whole team not being able to keep the ball, but i think he still should sit...

Chung is a selfish player who is currently screwing up your entire midfield... if he is a true skeemer, then he would start off as a more central player who would find himself out on the wings at times... yes, i have seen him and Hendo switch during the games and that's all well and good... but Chung goes beyond that by putting himself in situations where not only does he screw up the spacing on the field, but he also puts himself in a position where he can't (or won't) track back... i haven't taped any of your games, but if i'm not mistaken, all the goals that have been socred against you have come from your left side when Chung has been out there... he's a primadonna and refuses to do the work that a midfielder is required to do...

Roberts 2 goals were a joke... a gimme as a result of hard work by Schmidt against San Jose... a shanked attempted cross that took a goofy bounce and Howard mishandled... i'll give him credit for drawing the PK against DC... but, really, has he truly impressed you???...

7. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You sure you were watching the Rapids? You seem a bit off on what you saw...

"stiff Balboa" *boggle* OK, whatever...

Normally I'd agree with you on this, but given what Hankinson has been up to, I'm not sure that is Fraser's resposibility this season. Even if it is, the problem isn't Fraser not calling out the marks, the problem is the fact that the coach keeps putting players in who aren't able to handle the job (Crawford, Herdsman) either due to lack of experience or talent.

That selfish player was the teams leading scorer last season and one of the top 3 in league MVP votes. Chung and Henderson played the wings last season, and played them well. This season Hankinson has been trying to get Chung to come in the middle more, instead of letting Beckerman have a chance on running the show.

Won't track back? Chung spent most of the SJ game in the defensive half of the field getting the ball. Why I don't know, but the idea of him being unwilling to track back is completely out there...

You are mistaken. The two goals in the SJ game came down the right side where Carrieri and Crawford were playing, while Chung was in the middle. The two goals in the Metrostars game came down the left side, but they started deep in the corner where the defender should have had responsibility. I'm just stunned by the idea that Chung is a primadonna and unwilling to work.

Ching hasn't had a great start to the season, but it's nowhere near as bad as you make it out to be...

I agree that his two goals were very lucky, but he did enough to put himself into the situations to get those goals. That's worth something.

Compared to some of our players this season, yes.

8. SccrDon

SccrDon Member+

Dec 4, 2001
    Colorado Springs
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The worst part of it is that the Crew might be totally overconfident and it still won't be enough for us to win.

I was trying to think up a 3-4-3 that would work but I don't see any combination of 3 backs that could hold the fort.

So...start Spencer & Zizi up top, if no goals by half, bring Carrieri (put up or shut up time, young man) in for exhausted Pablo, play Spencer at AM committed forward almost totally, Becks in central midfield, & no DM. What do we have to lose?

9. Malaga CF fan

Malaga CF fan Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We need someone to neutralize Martino in midfield though. He's playing well right now, really driving the Crew offense. When he's on, they are always a threat to score. But, he's somebody that I think Pablo can handle.

That said, as everyone has mentioned, Pablo will probably be a little gassed from La Revancha en La Cancha and I would be surprised if he goes the full 90. That's the key matchup in my book. The Crew forwards are a threat too, but if they can't get good service, they're not going to do much. If our midfield plays well (and it doesn't look like Carrieri-Rizo-Mastro-Chung or some good awful experiment) then we have a good chance in this game.

10. spot

spot Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Centennial
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My reading of the situation is that the Rapids aren't playing with any confidence at all. I credit this to the openning day tinkering that Hankinson did, which is equivalent to the type of tinkering Steve Sampson did with the Men's team in 98. The result now, as then, is that we have a team with no confidence.

I'm in the camp that, when it comes to sports, overconfidence is hard to attain. Right now Columbus is playing good soccer. They've got some good players, but even the average ones are really stepping up and playing well. That's what confidence does for a team. I have my doubts about Andrulis' talents as a tactician, but he sure has Columbus playing well.

11. Gamblor

Gamblor New Member

May 17, 1999
    I completely disagree. Fraser has been the rock, the most consistent defender. If Colorado had 3 more backs like Fraser they'd have 3 wins and a nearly a 0 goal against average. Not that Fraser is perfect or even an All-Star, but he's been very solid and is the LEAST of the Rapids' worries.

They need to find other defenders that can work with Fraser. Stewart is looking alright, but I still think he may be best at right back. Crawford is nightmare. Rizo looks like a waste of a foreign player spot. Hart is inconsistent. Kotschau is not a good answer.

Best case to improve the defense, get another good central defender and pair him with Fraser, push Stewart wide right and try to find someone for left back. That and of course try to get the team to pass to each other and not the opponent.

Benching Fraser is like committing suicide. There would have been twice as many goals against without him.

Can't agree here either. Chung is not the problem, Hankinson is the problem. Hanky has got to set the midfield of Chung-Beckerman-Mastro-Henderson and let them figure out how to play instead of over-coaching them. He's got to stick with this midfield for a few games and let them gel. No more using Tarot cards to pick the starting 11.

Chung always looks to make the pass/cross first and good awareness of his teammates. To call him selfish is silly. Chung is struggling because the entire team is struggling. Hankinson needs to remedy this or he should be fired.

12. suspenders1964

Mar 4, 2000
    Buddle isn't going to play. His knee is going to take a couple more weeks. Both McBride's and Hejduk's tank looked empty on Thurs. I don't know how long they'll play. Both are integral to our success especially with McBride's newfound abilities to score occasionally. If we don't keep the ball on the ground, I think you have as good a chance as any to beat us.

13. johnh00

johnh00 Member

Apr 25, 2001
    CT, USA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ouch... I'm glad I'm not Vallow. Don't get me wrong, Columbus is very good, especially offensively, but this is even worse then what they did to my beloved Revs. The Colorado backline looks like they are just standing around.

C'mon guys and get in there - we could use a loss or two for the Crew over here in the East. ;)

14. Northcal19

Northcal19 New Member

Feb 18, 2000
    Celtic Tavern LODO (
    2-0 Crew when I went to puke. This team is less than the sum of its parts.

Carrieri got 90 minutes up top, or maybe he was wide in the 3-5-2 in the first half, regardless, he showed nada.

The McBride goal at 40 minutes was simply pathetic defense. Brian jogged with the ball from 30 yards to the 18 then slotted it in the corner. Guys, he scored in the EPL. Pressure him a little at the top of the box. Pablo, Wes Hart, Robin; where were you guys?

Zizi: Slow.

Henderson, Chung, Wes Hart: Midfielders are supposed to be able to deliver a telling pass.

We are in deep sh!t.

15. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    Basically, a collapse after the PK and subsequent goal. Pablo did some good things and played hard to the end, but was one of many invisible defenders on McBride's goal.

I want to forget about this ASAP.

16. greenie

greenie New Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    Hey, wow. Another different starting lineup and what looked like different tactics as well.

And another loss. Coincidence?

Now, I realize that sometimes you don't want to have the same lineup back-to-back. And with Spenny (apparently) injured, that makes it tough to start him. But considering that in four games, we've seen:

- four different players start at center mid with Pablo
    - four different pairings of forwards
    - four different combinations for the back line

What a shock, we're dead last.

I think they were assuming that Rizo wouldn't entirely screw the pooch and let McBride walk right by him. He stepped forward to try to intercept the ball, yet as a backline defender this means nobody is backing him up.

Dodgy PK call.

17. Raoul

Raoul New Member

Sep 19, 1999
    Downtown Dublin
    Spot on.

Your team looked very disorganized tonight.

Andrulis is having some problems created by subbing to a more defensive posture which takes us out of our rhythm. We play better by adding more speed late in the game vs. dropping back. We're just OK getting more defensive and much more dangerous making the other team worrying about pressing up against our late speed - IMO.

18. Northcal19

Northcal19 New Member

Feb 18, 2000
    Celtic Tavern LODO (
    No doubt, Rizzo was another onlooker, but sometimes an outside back gets beaten, then you hope the sweeper steps up to meet the guy dribbling at the 18 with the ball. Or maybe a d-mid who has dropped deep, given the circumstances. None of this should be construed as a defense of Rizzo on the play. Just commentary on the statues in central defense.

19. gschroeder

gschroeder Member

Jun 18, 2001
    Thornton, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I wish there was a silver lining somewhere in sight after this game. You know something to the effect of, "They looked good and got a lot of bad bounces, blah blah blah" but they looked flat out stupid most of the time. Half of the passes were hideous. Most evident to me was Hart. There were others he just always stood out. They finally win the ball over just outside our own 18 and promptly kick the ball to midfield straight to a Columbus player. I know we got a team FULL of skilled players and I could never understand how a coach coupld be blamed for his team's on the field performance (ie Bob Hartley and the Avs) but now I see the light. I feel embarassed for those guys on the team that I know they're good players. IMO Mr. Hanki needs to address this issue PUBLICLY or needs to pack his bags.

20. maverick

maverick New Member

Mar 7, 1999
    San Diego, CA
    Disagree entirely. Look, I'm a Metros fan who watched the first half of your match against the Crew, and I came on these boards for ONE reason: to let you know I'm really impressed with Carrieri's development. No, not his mouth (nice "Hard C" interview... dork). I'm talking about his game ON the pitch. I think your disappointment in your team's overall lack of concentration is coloring your judgment, causing you to paint all the players with the same broad brush-strokes.

Watching the game online (thanks, Yahoo!), he had four great plays alone in the first half, three passes and a dummy. IMO, if you had a Mathis, Fish or Twellman running onto those passes instead of a ZiZi or verklemmt Henderson/Chung, you'd have been tied 2-2 at the half -- at worst. Whatever you may think of his ego, he leaves it on the sideline in terms of hogging the ball between the lines. In that sense, Chris is the opposite of someone like "Big Mama," who never skipped an opportunity to attempt to pad his stats, even if the situation warranted better integration into a team concept.

In essence, he's not your problem in any way, shape or form; Hanky has GOT to find a replacement for Frizzy in central-mid, and if he's not gonna play Beckerman, than he needs to find another solution, quickly. I would, however, cut him some slack with Grimandi's ridiculous exit. A Mastro/Grimandi midfield would have gone a long way towards creating a cohesive central midfield to complement your wing play.

My $0.02 on the subject...

21. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Re: Re: Rapids vs. Crew Pregame/Postgame Thread [R]

Fraser was at fault on the PK and didn't step up on BMB's shot for the second goal. He had a dreadful game. If he's your mostb solid defender you are gonna have a long season.

22. burmm

burmm Member

Apr 12, 1999
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree that CC was one of the highlights of the game, which doesn't say much about the game. I thought that he and ZiZi were making some effort at least at a cohesive attack and that both put in ok matches. The weakness, as everyone has been saying all along, is in the midfield. I don't know what it is about Wes Hart, but Hankinson certainly sees something in him that I never have. The guy added nothing to the midfield. I was somewhat impressed with Beckerman and now agree that he should be given a shot at offensive middie. He probably needs to work on confidence and aggression but that will come. Besides, could things get any worse.
    Also, they were saying that we have the most yellows in the league; who's sitting out next match?

23. Gamblor

Gamblor New Member

May 17, 1999
    Re: Re: Re: Rapids vs. Crew Pregame/Postgame Thread [R]

I was referring to the 3 games prior to this one as this post was made before this game. Fraser had a very bad game this week and also took a really hard hit to his head that seemed to shake him pretty badly. Maybe the two are related.

But for me, this game just reinforces what I've thought since the season began. Hankinson must go. Whenever an entire team is playing this badly game after game, including usually consistent guys like Chung and Henderson, it's always the coach. 1 or 2 players having bad games it could be the players, but when 9-11 players are playing badly then it's the coach. I've seen this same situation a dozen times in MLS and it always means the coach has lost the team.

Bringing in some new mid may temporarily make things look a little better but it won't be the fix. Until Hankinson is gone this team won't turn around. Same as NE last year with Clavijo. The sooner Counce realizes this the sooner the season can be turned around.

24. Northcal19

Northcal19 New Member

Feb 18, 2000
    Celtic Tavern LODO (
    Not to be argumentative, but in 220+ minutes this season, including 90 last night he has Zero goals, zero assists, and Zero shots on goal. He is a (so called) striker; he must be at least PART of the problem.

That being said, I think the bigger part of the problem rhymes with Wankinson.

25. joeyclams

joeyclams Member

Apr 16, 2001
    Denver, CO
    Yes, and how many of those minutes was he played out of position? Last night was his first full run up top and I thought he had a fine game.

In the first half, before the penalty, CC was the most dangerous Rapid. His dummy on the Henderson shot/cross should have been converted. That happens and it's a totally different game. But, then the ref gives a very soft, or as Greenie said "dodgy", pk and the Rapids are behind the 8 ball again. You could almost see the life go out of them. They needed a motivator after that and Hanki has gone on record many times stating that he feels pros don't need motivating. It was only a foregone conclusion that they would give up a second.

At least we are leading MLS in yellow cards.