Rapids vs Chivas: Sun Sept. 16th--1:00pm pre/game/post [R]

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by DavidJames, Sep 10, 2007.

1. outforkicks

outforkicks New Member

May 20, 2005
    Denver,Co
    I watched.....yeah Chivas is set to poss. stay atop the west.

Thursday fatigue or not......If we pull it out on Sun. it will be a festivus miracle.

2. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm expecting the next nature preserve mascot to be a plain ordinary human. To represent the endangered season ticket holders.

I'm trying to get excited about this match but it sure isn't easy. Our top forward and top defender are lost to injuries. Our top mid plays for FSL. Our keeper is injured and doesn't look to return to form too soon. We have a mid-table USL-1 team. Our coach sucks. The RFO hates us. Our opponent is on a tear. And we're head to head with the Broncos. That said could we please go out and beat the living snot out of the goats.

3. smudgeyjoe

smudgeyjoe Member

Dec 15, 2001
    Westminster Colorado
    I have quite a bit of trepidation about this game. Chivas looks poised to be the best team in the league. With Hercules out, and still some question marks surrounding Casey's knee, I think we are going to be hurting for striking power. Not only that, but if Brandon plays, I fear that they may run right around him like he wasn't there. Chivas is aggressive and fast, and we are not, particularly at the spot where Brandon plays. He has good physical soccer skills, but his God given abilities, particularly speed, leave him often vulnerable.

I am really amazed that the league chose to have the Rapids playing at 1 on the same day that the Broncos have their home opener against the dreaded Raiders. Regardless of how they are playing now, this is the most storied battle in Denver history, just ahead of the Avs and Red Wings. I will be shocked if we are even half full, unless we find a lot of new Chivas fans showing up for the celebration.

4. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
    I love watching Chivas USA play I like their style but even so, this Rapids team at home does have a decent midfield and can really disrupt teams that play like Chivas USA. I wouldn't write them off yet.

Rapids 2-1 Chivas USA. still standing by my earlier prediction.

5. chilistrider

chilistrider Together We Rise

May 9, 2002
    Thornton, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I bought out all the "burgundy" and blue streamers at Hobby Lobby again! Let's go Rapids!!!!!

6. manowarfan1

manowarfan1 New Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Colorado, USA
    Hey Guys - I'd like to make it up there for the match - but I'm kinda doubting it will happen. Been sick with some kind of virus the last few days - so driving to Denver, having beers with people and screaming in frustration is prolly not the best thing I can do for myself. Plus, I can do all that without the driving here at home - and still see the Broncos Raiders game :)
    Give 'em hell - maybe it will be a miraculous game where we actually attack, defend, you know - do all the basics well. Anything is possible.

Cheers,
    Jeff

7. InExile

InExile New Member

Jun 3, 2005
    This is not a Rapids-Chivas game thread. I would say that FC has successfully Shut US Up! There are many impertinent topics mentioned in this thread. Bring up any topic in this thread and you'll get several serious well-thought out responses because we wince when we think about the Rapids right now and it's easier to talk about other teams mangement decisions or which animal we should select for a mascot.

This is an important game in the scheme of things and it would help us a lot to win it but I think our prospects for the rest of the season are getting worse by the week. Isn't Herc out for the rest of the season? I keep seeing his name in the projected line-ups. So anyway I see the possibility of losing today 5-1. Chivas is hot and we are imloding and large pieces of the shuttle craft are falling off as we get ready to enter the atmosphere. Yes Houston we really do have a problem here.

8. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    REFEREE: Richard Heron. SAR (bench): Corey Rockwell; JAR (opposite): Michael Salyers; 4th: Ben Chouaf
    MLS Career: 46 games; FC/gm: 33.4; Y/gm: 2.5; R: 10; pens: 10
    Games involving Rapids: P13 W8 L4 T1; FC/gm: 34.9; Y/gm: 3.0; R: 4; pens: 6
    Games involving Chivas USA: P3 W2 L0 T1; FC/gm: 30.0; Y/gm: 2.0; R: 0; pens: 0

INJURY REPORT: COLORADO RAPIDS - OUT: DF Dan Gargan (R knee ACL tear); FW Herculez Gomez (R ACL and meniscus tears); QUESTIONABLE: DF Brandon Prideaux (L hamstring strain); PROBABLE: FW Conor Casey (R knee swelling); MF Pablo Mastroeni (illness); FW Omar Cummings (L shoulder separation) ... CHIVAS USA - OUT: DF Carlos Llamosa (L knee ACL surgery); GK Justin Myers (L foot fracture)

SUSPENDED: none
    WARNINGS:
    SUSPENDED NEXT YELLOW CARD: COL: Mehdi Ballouchy, Facundo Erpen, Ugo Ihemelu, Pablo Mastroeni ... CHV: Maykel Galindo, Jesse Marsch, Orlando Perez

HEAD-TO-HEAD
    ALL-TIME (9 meetings): Rapids 3 wins, 14 goals ... Chivas USA 3 wins, 15 goals ... Draws 3
    AT COLORADO: (4 meetings): Rapids 1 win, 7 goals ...Chivas USA 0 wins, 6 goals ... Draws 3

• Coaches record: Fernando Clavijo vs. CHV: P9 W3 L3 D3 ... Preki vs. COL: P1 W1 L0 D0 2007 (MLS): 6/16: CHV 2, COL 0 (Cooke og 49; Galindo 63)

COLORADO RAPIDS
    The Colorado Rapids saw their four-game unbeaten run come to a crashing halt, falling 3-1 to the Los Angeles Galaxy last Sunday at The Home Depot Center. With the loss, the Rapids fell out of a tie for eighth place in the MLS overall table and contention for the final playoff spot; with 28 points from 24 matches they are still tied with Columbus, but now in ninth place, a point behind the Chicago Fire.
    • It was the first time in 10 games the Rapids had allowed more than two goals - and even in that stretch, it's something they had done only once. They lost to D.C. United 4-1 on June 28, then tying the Kansas City Wizards 2-2 on July 22; in the other eight games, the Rapids had allowed just three goals.

• Zach Thornton finally made his league debut when he came on just before the hour mark for Bouna Coundoul. Signed just before the start of the season, he had played only in U.S. Open Cup matches for the club. Thornton has been on an MLS roster in every year's of the league's existence, but missed playing in a game in 2004, when he was with Benfica of Portugal for most of the year before re-joining the Chicago Fire late.
    • Shortly after coming on, Thornton was beaten for the second and third Galaxy goals. "It's tough. You're on the bench and you should be ready," Thornton said. "No excuses. It happens sometimes. As a number two, you have to be ready for that."

CHIVAS USA
    Chivas USA extended their unbeaten streak to six games, won the Super Clasíco season series for the first time and moved into top spot in the Western Conference all on the same night, after a 3-0 win against the LA Galaxy on Thursday at The Home Depot Center. Chivas USA have 43 points from 22 matches, one ahead of Houston Dynamo in the West, and six behind overall leader D.C. United. With a victory against Colorado, and if the Columbus Crew fail to defeat Kansas City on Saturday, Chivas will clinch a place in the MLS Cup Playoffs for the second year in a row.

LAST MATCH
    • Chivas USA had won for the fourth time in five games in their last outing, a 3-0 win against New York, while the LA Galaxy had put an end to an eight-game, two-month league winless streak with a 3-1 win against the Colorado Rapids in their last outing.

• Razov opened the scoring with the 107th league goal of his career, putting him just a goal behind the once-mythical 108 posted by current Real Salt Lake head coach Jason Kreis. Of course, D.C. United striker Jaime Moreno now has 110 goals for the all-time lead.

9. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which means they'd miss Round 3 of the Rocky Mountain Cup if they get a yellow today.

10. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lineup:

Bouna
    Ugo - Petke - Erpen - Sanneh
    Pablo
    Cooke - Ballouchy - Clark
    Jovan - Casey

Bench:
    Snack
    Harvey
    Cancela
    Keel
    Cummings
    Peterson
    Osorno

Anyone who wants pbp for the first half, speak up now. Alas I have to watch the second half on delay.

11. RapidStorm

RapidStorm Member+

Jan 30, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Seedy Chivas.

Merlin with the blatent dive, penalty.

1-0.

12. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dive yes, but clear foul. Idiotically stupid play by Erpen, who's been sent off according to Matchtracker (Telefutura didn't bother showing the red card being given).

13. Colorado Rapids Fan

Colorado Rapids Fan New Member

Jul 4, 2006
    agreed... maybe an exaggerated dive, but absolutely a foul by erpen...not very smart.

14. RapidStorm

RapidStorm Member+

Jan 30, 2005
    Denver, CO
    A grown man cannot be pushed off balance that easily, especially if he's slowed himself down. Should Erpen's arm have been there? no. But that redefines "soft" and is blatently taking advantage of the fact that Herron's a terrible referee and was 50 yards behind the play.

For example, that foul Merlin himself just committed was only slightly harder. Should that be a yellow?

15. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't disagree its soft, but you can't just try to push a player who's breaking on goal. That's going to be a foul no matter who the ref is. Combine that with being the last player and doing it on the edge of the box and it's idiotic. The Rapids got a pair of bad breaks, as the foul was probably outside the box and with Ugo right there it probably could have just been a yellow card, but Erpen lost his head, and I can't complain about the officiating when a player does something that stupid.

16. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Keel on for an injured Petke. Yeah, anyone left feeling confident about this game?

17. RapidStorm

RapidStorm Member+

Jan 30, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Sanneh for me is turning into this year's version of the Kirovski acquisition in '05. Veteran with Nat. Team status who demands to have his spot on the field and it screws over the rest of the team. Ugo's having a terrible game at left back because he's been forced out there to accomodate Sanneh.

And for the record, this is why I hate Richard Herron. That foul Casey just committed should have been a yellow just on sheer brutality. Cooke was fouled down on the right wing, no call. The man is just horribly inconsistent every time he's out on the pitch.

18. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hard to judge based on this match though, thanks to the Erpen red card and the Petke injury our defensive line is a mess.

19. Colorado Rapids Fan

Colorado Rapids Fan New Member

Jul 4, 2006
    i was at the rapids reserve game against the galaxy and keel did a good job at center back... i dont think all hope is lost... yet.

20. RapidStorm

RapidStorm Member+

Jan 30, 2005
    Denver, CO
    And now, Pablo's gone for next match. On his first foul, nonetheless. Stupid foul, but a warning would have at least given the appearance that Herron was impartial.

21. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sucks because Pablo does a great job of getting into FSL's head, especially in SLC.

22. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Halftime 1-0 Chivas. Even after the red card the Rapids have had their chances but no luck yet.

Or defense is going to be a mess next game. If Petke is able to go we're looking at a back line of Prideaux - Ugo - Petke - Sanneh. Without Petke we're going to either be playing a very slow 3-back system or starting one of our reserves that haven't played much this season. This all assumes Ugo doesn't pick up a card in the second half. If he does I don't know what we'll do.

23. RapidStorm

RapidStorm Member+

Jan 30, 2005
    Denver, CO
    I think it'd be hard to argue against Cooke as man of the first half...simply because the rest of our team really disappeared after the red card. As for the goat of the first half...

24. scheck

scheck Member

Mar 13, 2007
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So petke out in the 20th minute. That leaves 2 conclusions to draw.

1. The reserves are so horrible that the disparity in talent creates a situation where you would want to play a sick starter for 20 minutes and use a sub just so you can save 20 minutes of your game play.

2. The coach is a horrible judge of talent and can't give the reserves a chance when the starter is well enough to play 20 minutes and then puke a few times.

What's that you say? Our reserves are the best in the league?

25. RapidStorm

RapidStorm Member+

Jan 30, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Anyone know why it's a 20+ minute halftime?