Rapids vs Chivas: Sun Sept. 16th--1:00pm pre/game/post [R]

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by DavidJames, Sep 10, 2007.

1. smudgeyjoe

smudgeyjoe Member

Dec 15, 2001
    Westminster Colorado
    A not so funny thing happened to me after that last match. I found myself a little drained of "caring". I didn't realize it immediately, but found that I didn't want to look at the standings, or read about my undoubtedly favorite team. It is a little like what has happened locally with the Rockies. After so many years of teases, little win streaks that tantalize, only to see them fall off into nothingness, I found myself a little numb to the consideration of this next match. Chivas looks like a team on a roll right now. They move the ball around and attack aggressively, and have being doing so pretty consistently over the last couple of months. Looking at our injury list, along with our "1 From Suspension" list, this looks like a match that could be very difficult for us. With the Broncos playing their home opener at 2:15 against the still nefarious Raiders, this could be a bleak day for the Rapids.

2. DavidJames

DavidJames Member+

May 11, 2003
    Longmont
    If you're looking on the Match Up page, you'll note the injury list is from 9/8. I'm hoping an update will provide a brighter picture.

3. smudgeyjoe

smudgeyjoe Member

Dec 15, 2001
    Westminster Colorado
    You are right, David. We really need Conor and Pablo back in the worst way. I might be more dismayed about that suspension list because we are heading into the most significant part of the season, and are not so deep that we can really afford to miss anyone

4. jimmyco

jimmyco Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Aurora, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why would I follow their FO's goings-on? This is the Colorado forum (and a bit of wishful thinking on my part).

And a closing rhetorical question - why would they fire their GM if they are in the midst of a solid run to win the West?

5. gschroeder

gschroeder Member

Jun 18, 2001
    Thornton, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Horrible attendance is what I heard.

6. scheck

scheck Member

Mar 13, 2007
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just figured you guys followed the league that the rapids play in...

7. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
  8. The Legend

The Legend New Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Colorado, Where Lege
    Looks like it's been updated this morning to 9/11

9. teddy_montoya

teddy_montoya RapidsThugLife

Nov 9, 2006
    Supporters Terrace
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very accurate, they have updated everything-WOW. Beside the Supporters section of course. There webmaster must get paid be daily updates becuase he/she is doing a great job at it:D

The Rapids again need to challenge this team, from both the back line, and the front. If we don't pressure from the first whistle, and show some intensity then we may lose. And that will be the final straw to FC's soon to be ending excuse cup...

10. askum33

askum33 New Member

Jun 2, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    Fatigue is starting to set in... I really hope the FO has a plan to battle this really tough problem.
    Or
    Fatigue is starting to set in and that is exactly what the FO wants. If they loos the fan base that is causing so many problems then they can focus on their bread and butter - families and youth teams.

In reality fatigue is a real and difficult problem form an entertainment standpoint - and let's face it, this is an entertainment company running this team like an entertainment product - so something needs to be done to reinvigorate(sp?) the consumer.

Hopefully that "thing" is not another stupid a$$ mascot.

11. rapidfan

rapidfan Member

May 13, 2003
    Boulder
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Hope you're right ! My guess, this week ..... Pablo will be available and Casey will not.

Hemelu ... Erpen ... Petke ... Prideaux
    Cooke ... Pablo ..... Ballouchy ..... Clark
    ......... Herc & Jovan .......

12. manowarfan1

manowarfan1 New Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Colorado, USA
    Hey now, you have got to admit that the toilet they had running around on the pitch at halftime is probably the most legit of all the mascots we've had.:D

jeff

13. askum33

askum33 New Member

Jun 2, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    um waiter, there is BUL!SH!T in my soup.

How under god's blue sky are we associated with a F'n eagle? It's a DC rip off and I would rather have RapidMan back. At least he was an original concept.

Now that being said, when they offer a macot that is a beaver and I can pet it all I want, then we can talk about legit mascots. Hopefully we can get one of the over 18 cheerleaders in the costume and make everyone happy. :p

14. DavidJames

DavidJames Member+

May 11, 2003
    Longmont
    The mascots were chosen because the animal they represent are or will be part of the preserve next to the stadium.

15. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    So how will we know if the 6-foot tall prairie dog is a mascot or a mutant?

16. Waterboy14

Waterboy14 Member

Mar 29, 2006
    Back to the game....the backline has been pretty porous in the last two matches. I don't see us matching up very well with Galindo's speed. "Houston, we have a problem!"

17. askum33

askum33 New Member

Jun 2, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    yes, I'm aware of that line, but it's a stretch.
    Eagle so they can show some patriotism.
    Buffalo to get the CU alum.
    Ram to get the CSU alum.
    Wolf for whatever reason.
    Blah.
    Blah.
    Blah.
    Get a beaver just for comedy sake.
    Blah.
    Blah.
    Our team still sucks but look over there at the free t-shirts.
    Blah.
    Blah.
    Blah.

18. rapidfan

rapidfan Member

May 13, 2003
    Boulder
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I agree .... although Ugo certainly has speed & skills, he's prone to making mistakes and Prideaux is simply 'past his prime'.

19. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is a must win game. The Rapids have to take all 9 points from their last home games. We can't expect Chicago's tough schedule and Columbus' ineptitude to let us sneak into the playoffs.

Chivas is one of the best teams in the league right now. The Rapids have to step up and show they're a playoff team. Otherwise, this season is over.

20. Ingmar4Rapids

Ingmar4Rapids Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Denver, Colorado
    Galindo is on fire right now. He is scoring pretty consistently. Razov is steady and contributing. We have not one on our team close to in the groove that Galindo is in right now. Those two can make a lot of problems for our defense.

Chivas is rolling right now as well. Since the All Star Game, they are 5-1-1 with a road record of 3-1-0. But one of those road wins actually against the Galaxy in Carson. It was that disaster right after the international Wednesday break where Beckham was running on fumes and Landycakes rested. But Chivas is doing really and don't look like a team to have a road disaster.

On the Rapids side, they are back home where they have been tough. If they play like they did against NE, they will win. Anything less will make for a difficult afternoon with more interesting quotes from FC.

21. DavidJames

DavidJames Member+

May 11, 2003
    Longmont
    Right on the money.

22. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Speaking of those two, they're why I'd love to see Herc and Conor up top together. Conor is showing he can hold up the ball. And Herc has shown he has the speed and vision to get past the back line. If the back line sits too far back to try to ensure Herc doesn't run past them, it gives more space to Casey. The more space Casey has, the more likely he can get the ball, hold it up and either play it on for Herc (a feedback loop of sorts) or hit guys like Colin Clarke coming out of the midfield.

Chivas isn't horrible on the road but they're not great. We can win this and we do need to win this.

23. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't see the Rapids winning this game. But I also can't see Chivas winning with their record on the road. I'm going for a gutless draw that will see the "3 Year Plan FC" sink further from the 8th playoff spot...at best. At worst...our lack of fit players will prove to be too much and we lose.

24. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't forget Marsch. He's playing some of the best soccer of his career right now.

25. rapidfan

rapidfan Member

May 13, 2003
    Boulder
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Exactly right ...... IMO, Marsch was solid with Chicago and now he's a top contribitor with Chivas.