Rapids vs Chicago .... 8/26 [R]

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by rapidfan, Aug 24, 2006.

1. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd complain about the crap officiating, but it's not like it's changed the outcome fom this game. No offensive punch whatsoever.

2. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City

probably rarely called cuz llike in this situation even without the trip I don't think he would've been in position to get onto the end of the pass.

Why did Beckerman just do that? That looked like frustration. Rapids for the most part are playing well tonight. They just don't have a goal scorer on the pitch to take advantage of things.

3. GutBomb

GutBomb Red Card

Aug 28, 2003
    Outside Boston
    nkong, that's what we've been missing :D now i just hope i get to see you making one of those shoephone calls back to cameroon again

4. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's it.

No Pablo, Beckerman, or Freeman against Dallas. The team is in serious trouble, we could very easily be in 5th place by the end of the games Wednesday night, with a road trip to SLC looming.

Here's an attempted lineup for Wednesday:
    Cannon
    Gargan - Karanka - Petke - Denton
    Wasson
    Niko - Nkong - Peterson
    Mathis - Noel

5. deron

deron New Member

Jul 25, 2006
    Centennial, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm even more done with Mathis and Kirovski.

I figure Beckerman might as well take the card. He ain't gonna have legs left for the next match anyway. Hell of an effort.

We are really missing Cooke and Dedi. That's not a knock on Peterson who has been playing well.

6. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I realize the ways of Fernando are an engima, but what in gods name makes him think Kirovski is going to contribute more than Nkong or Noel? The last time Kirovski got a non PK point was what, May? Mathis at least has gotten some assists and goals recently, I don't mind him coming off the bench first, but Jovan is about the biggest waste of space this side of FSL.

7. prk166

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Can we trade Kirovski for Knox Cameron from Columbus?

8. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With his recent play, I doubt that we could trade him for cheeseburger.

9. usasoc

usasoc New Member

Aug 21, 2003
    when will clavijo realize that jovan and mathis just aren't making it on this team. I hope it is before he starts to worry that we won't make the playoffs or his job security is in trouble...the minute mathis came in our offensive punch was taken away because beckerman had to pick up more defensive responsiblilties because clint does nothing... jovan just makes us play with a man down .. He offers nothing.

10. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    Aw come on guys, don't hold back, tell us how you really feel about our big name/small impact players. (I'm there with you btw.)

11. prk166

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    What's the contract situation for Jovan and Mathis? Can we let both of them go without any problems?

12. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mathis is under contract for next year. FSL is picking up a chunk of that though. Not sure on Kirovski.

13. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No help here - you gotta pay for Jovan yourselves! ;)

14. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can't win on the road.

*shakes head*

Promising season going down the drain.

*shakes head*

15. prk166

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    I hope Kirovski's isn't guaranteed. I'd just as well waive him if we cant' at least trade him for something that has 2 legs and can kick. I was daydreaming earlier today that Sigi was feeling desperate for some goals and willing to be reunited with Kirovski.

I know I've caught the talk about Clint's contract being guaranteed for all 3 years. If Real Sandy is picking up most of his salary next year, I can live with him sticking around. Otherwise I hope we can let him go. He's not worth the kind of money his contract is guaranteeing him.

16. chilistrider

chilistrider Together We Rise

May 9, 2002
    Thornton, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The ways of Fernando are an enigma.

Well, at least we're not missing Beckerman & Pablo for the RSL game. And Beckerman showed good hustle tonight. Joe Cannon is a god. And I think those are the only positive things I have to say right now.

Tonight at the Bulldog someone said, "Thiago: this season's Luchi." :( *shakes head*

If you left the Bulldog right after the game, you missed a good time. There was a rugby party, and the they bought everybody in the bar shots of Jamesons.

17. prk166

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
  18. smudgeyjoe

smudgeyjoe Member

Dec 15, 2001
    Westminster Colorado
    Just a few observations about tonight: Our back line is tremendously slow. Technically, we do some things very well, but when it comes to foot speed, we are in trouble when we play a team with good team speed. Gargan, Karanka, Petke, I wouldn't want to see any of those guys in a 40 yard dash.
    Cannon probably shouldn't have come out on the goal, but he made up for it many times over.
    I am joining many others in thinking that Beckerman is turning into one of our very best players.
    Last thought, I understand wanting to keep your highest paid players from exploding, but neither Mathis or Kirovski were what we needed tonight. If Alain wasn't going to start, he should have been in at the start of the second half. Also, please get Fabrice in no later than the last 20 minutes. Petersen runs fast and tries hard, but he cannot take people on the dribble. Tonight, if we had someone in who could do that, we probably would have gotten the tying goal. Now, with Chivas winning, we are in danger of falling all the way down if we don't recover soon. Wednesday is ESSENTIAL as a win for us!!!!!!!

19. DavidJames

DavidJames Member+

May 11, 2003
    Longmont
    I didn't see the game and would like to hear more comments on the play of Martins, Kiro and Mathis.

I don't even see Tarley's name as a possible sub.

20. GutBomb

GutBomb Red Card

Aug 28, 2003
    Outside Boston
    totaly useless crap.

21. RapidStorm

RapidStorm Member+

Jan 30, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Tonight really just felt like a going-through-the-motions game for both teams. Chicago didn't really outplay the Rapids, and the Rapids sure as hell didn't press that hard across the board to try to get a road point.

Nkong looked rusty in his debut, not that that wasn't expected. He still made good decisions in traffic, but I think his dribble was clumsier than what we've grown accustomed to.

To simply sum up our offense, it's not like any of the players have really "worked" or "succeeded" since Cooke left. We're scoring a goal a game since even before the infamous RSL match, and not one player has had a scoring streak since June. We can heap all of the blame on Mathis and Kiro (and rightfully so with their payroles) but every player is simply not producing; the only player who is either scoring at or above his expected clip is Beckerman. And for Kyle's sake, something is wrong if we have to depend on a converted d-mid to win games for us.

I feel like a broken record here, but the fact is, Clavijo really hasn't addressed any reoccuring problems with the team. We have no proven consistent goalscorer, yet we keep trotting out virtually the same attacking committees (Jovan's departure from the field being the first big change, but the fact is, none of our replacements have really been any better). Our defense has continued to be shaky rather than a stronghold - we try to get our wingbacks involved in the offense when frankly they do not have the defensive or offensive instincts to play the position well yet, and our center backs are too slow to handle everything thrown at them. We have a genuine attacking mid now but it will take him a few weeks before he commands the pitch, and that's only if Clavijo is willing to let him take the reigns for consistent minutes. With the ridiculous number of central midfielders - and the ridiculous number of high-paid central midfielders - we have I just don't see that happening.

I think the style and technical game we play is drastically improved over where Hanki got us, but we're lacking 3 skilled players that we need. Last season we had two of those necessities, just recently resigned the one, but in the meantime we're playing an ugly patchwork of a lineup each time out that, as a result, sometimes looks very strong and others looks embarrassing. And playing 3-4 scraps of deadwood each match for significant minutes is killing us each time out, even in victories I'd argue where we should be killing teams that we barely eek by. At least trot the young guys out as subs instead: let's find out the potential we have rather than holding onto both old guys who can't produce as well as young guys with no potential to produce. Worst comes to worst, the younger kids will have more to play for and prove and we might steal a win.

You can wax positive all you want that we didn't lose like DC or RSL, but a loss is a loss, especially in a game we could have done better in and simply didn't.

22. Rabidratz

Rabidratz Member

Jul 17, 2001
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    The only good news tonight is that at least we have not (yet) lost a game 6-0 like Fake Salt Lake. I was optimistic that we might have won tonight because Cookie and Nkong would be back on the team but as has been said over and over "the ways of Fernando are an enigma". Well it aint over till the fat lady sings and with every game now I can hear her warming up in the wings!
    Clavijo is aware that the fans do not like Kirovski as I have told him many times we think he is useless on the field but he just smiles and says "Trust me, you wait and see". Well I think we have waited far to long and have seen nothing. Get rid of Kiro NOW!

23. FC5280

FC5280 Member

Dec 21, 2003
    blah....that sucked. Lets go to the player ratings. 1 for truly awful to 8 for greatness (which means no 8s for tonight)

Cannon-6.5 Typical Joe Cannon. Keeps the team in it the whole way. Distribution was better tonight.

Freeman-5.5 Was having a good solid game up until the card (which was a DIVE) He's playing much better this year but I would still prefer to see him on the right because......

Gargan 3.75 He hustles his ass off but he's out of position far too often on the backline. Memo to the Gargan....speed + good positioning makes you an international. Speed + bad positioning makes you working at King Soopers being the man in a Sunday adult league.

Karanka 6 Got beat on the goal by a more athletic player. He had the position but just got beat. Think that is really the first time all year it has happened. Other than that was his usual rock solid self.

Petke 5 Not great but not truly awful. You could see him laboring towards the end which is why he was subbed off. Been a helluva week for the guy between all the matches and the family situation. Unlucky not to score tonight as Fat Zach had no chance if that ball is 2 inches more to the right.

Wasson 4.5 Maybe this guy is the second coming of old Beckerman. Lots of square and safe back passes. Should have done better with his header in the first half. Mostly invisible tonight though which is not a good sign for a central mid.

Beckerman 6.25 Was EASILY the best player for us tonight. The deft little flick almost sprung Niko to open up the scoring (seriously if you didn't see the pass go back and check the highlights. PURE CLASS it was) Just too bad this guy has logged more minutes than two 14 year old girls on their mobiles. Very quickly becoming our best field player.

Pablo 4.75 I expect a lot more from an international caliber player. Starting to wonder if we really really need him?

Peterson 3.75 DAMNIT SHOOT THE BALL! You really don't get much better looks at it and you can't fault the kid for being unselfish but really you need to shoot that one. Work really hard but he really belongs up top as a pure out and out forward BECAUSE....

Thiago Martins 3 I swear this guy. Works himself into beautiful spots on the field. Works his ASS OFF every game and yet at the end of the day what do you get.....ZERO goals and maybe 4 shots, 3 of which are right at the keeper. You can't continue to waste chances (see Jovan) and expect to be out there long as a forward.

Niko 5 DEPRIVED of service tonight. Dropped way back in order to get touches which is not what we need him doing. Hard to give him anything other than a 5 because he wasn't really bad but didn't really do anything with what he got either.

SUBS

Mathis 5.25 Why he isn't starting I have no idea. As soon as he got in the game we started controlling the middle of the park and got something down the middle. He may not be in the best shape of his life but he still has the class touch and if you really really watch him you know we are a better team with him on the field.

Kirovski 2 Why even sub him in at this point? He adds NOTHING other than the ability to hold the ball and kill good attacks. I could see if he opened space for other players with darting runs across the box OR if he won aerial balls. Its like he has forgotten how to play or something. I smell a bunch of reserve matches for this guy until he rediscovers his form.

Nkong 4 WELCOME BACK. The rust showed, but you gotta think he'll be in the lineup sooner rather than later. I would almost expect a start on Wednesday vs. FC Dallas. Not totally insync with his teammates but you could see him instantly click with Beckerman in the middle which was a good thing.

COACHING

FC 3 Not good at all tonight. Really thought we should have seen Clark tonight on the left as he is not afraid to go at people. Also should have gotten Mathis on earlier in the game. We still need to find guys to bury the damn ball in the net. A pairing up front of Peterson and Niko was working well in the beginning of the year.

24. GoRapids

GoRapids Member

Sep 1, 1999
    Boulder CO
    I understood what he was taling about - with the leg that was going for the ball - it was all good - but his other leg's kneed went straight into the back of the Chicago player's heel.

25. GoRapids

GoRapids Member

Sep 1, 1999
    Boulder CO
    I've never done this before so if it sucks - too much - I apologize - but I figured some people didn't see the game:

0 – Interesting midfield – No Kirovsky or Mathis again – good chunk of starting salary on the bench – shows both courage and bad roster decisions. Interesting midfield – what shape do they have?

2 – Terrible tackle by Palbo – why does he continue to make these reckless challenges and risk cards?

4 – Niko – great ball to a great run by Beckermarn who in turn puts in a great ball to Niko – wiff by Niko

6 – good tackle by Hunter – Gargan falls behind the Chicago play

7 – good flick on by Martins – soft shot by Kyle

8 – Pablo beat by Barret - Gargan on wrong side of Mapp – Cannon there to clean up Mapps back touch.

9 – Hunter caught way up – Karanka beat on step up – Chicago does nothing with chance

10 – Good hustle and hard work by Rapids mifield – good hustle by Kyle to win ball back to Peterson who put ball in to Martins who out worked Chicago defender for ball and got off shot – saved – rebound Wasson – saved again. Excellent work – foiled by Thorton.

11 – Gargan beat by Mapp again.

12 – Karanka lets his man get behind him on a CK in the box – Cannon off line - mistake. Chicago 1-0.

15 – Chicago player dummies ball – Gargan falls for it 5 feet away – Gargan catches up with play along sideline – then beat with pass – Petke left with man with ball on line – and man in middle – Cannon with save off redirected cross in box – Beckerman with fantastic back hustle – clears ball out for CK – saving Chicago goal.

17 – Gargan ball up line to nowhere.

18 – Freeman with blocked cross.

19 – Good slide tackle from Karanaka.

20 – Ref assistant making second bad call against Chicago – should be corner – Goal Kick.

22 – good hustle by freeman to catch up with good Chicago passing to kill chance.

23 – Cannon save after Herron kept Karanka away from ball.

24 – Pablo to Wasson to Freeman – Freeman takes ball inside (mistake) dishes to Wasson who turns over ball with bad forward pass.

25 – Good ball from Thiago to Niko for blocked shot – CK Rapids.

27 – Martins hustles hard – but his first touches and under pressure decisions have been poor so far.

27 – Niko with two foot – yet all ball tackle – gets called for foul – quick restart – Mapp wide open with Petke 10 yards toward center and Freeman 15 yards on sideline – Petke recovers to stop wide open shot – Mapp from top of box – save Cannon.

28 – Pablo with ball – gets away from man – relaxes unaware of Chicago player behind him – turnover – Herron diagonal run through middle of Rapids defense – in on Cannon – save – rebound Herron – Cannon grabs chip cross to wide open Chicago player (Barett)

30 – starting with good trap by Martins - pass to Beckerman – to Hunter with a good run - ball goes all the way back to Rapids back line in long string of possession passes – 13 consecutive passes ending with long ball to corner won by Chicago defense. – OB Rapids ball.

34 – Gargan containing Guitererz for third time in game.

34 – Freeman with creative move to beat Chicago player – up to Niko – to Martins – continues with excellent run and gets ball back - looks to cross field – bad ball – turnover.

34 – Gargan with run – splits two Chicago defenders – cross – wins CK.

35 – Martins wins corner with head – save Thorton.

36 – Karanka contains Chicago threat – Chicago CK.

39 – Martins cross to top of box to Beckerman – shot blocked – into Niko on PK spot – tightly marked – ball heads to corner. Free Kick Rapids. Niko with not so good ball into box.

40 – Wasson with Freekick ball to far post – to Petke – trapped - touched into box nobody home.

42 – Karanka with good step up for Offside trap.

43 – Freeman with reckless tackle – too ambitious – got ball however – ref hesitating – replay shows Freemans back knee striking Chicago player’s planted foot – no card.

45 – Chicago with possession around Rapids goal – but great positioning – contains threat over and over. Chicago finally gets close in sharp angle shot – save Cannon – CK Chicago.

45+2 – Hunter with good decision to leave man and block shooter.

Half time.

Some Half time impressions:

Peterson is invisible. Rapids defense isn’t as solid as it should be – but this time looks like Gargan is the weakest link. Wasson – not doing anything bad – but doing nothing too good this year. So far MVP of the season is either Cooke or Beckerman – Beckerman is very active – ball going through him very often. Martins makes poor decisions when under pressure. Pablo not as visible as he should be. Toyoto Park looks good. Not one of Niko’s best halfs.

Second Half …

47 – Beckerman draws foul – Wasson on Freekick on side line – Good ball into box – Niko went down and didn’t get on ball. Can’t tell why.

50 – Chicago with long ball over top of defense – only Hunter and Karanka are back, Petke working to catch up to man on far side – Karanka quickly falling behind - Herron receives ball 8 yards in clear – Hunter catches up to Herron – Petke beat by his man – Herron cut on Hunter 3 times gets off weak shot – save Cannon. Wide open Barrett thinking WTF to Herron for not getting him ball – me too – Petke beat bad in foot race.

52 – Niko getting beat on sideline near Rapids own box – Chicago player gets cross/shot off – punched out by Cannon.

53 – Pablo to corner running Gargan – Gargan with cross – deflected toward Chicago net – Thorton saved.

57 – Mathis, Kirovsky, & Nkong on bench – not sure who else.

57 – Petke comes back to stop Mapp run in box – Mapp getting upper hand on Karanaka. Chicago CK.

58 – Petke barely getting head on ball to hit to top of box – falls to Chicago player – long shot – save Cannon – not on net anyway. Ken Tommasch – Rapids scored second fewest goals in Western Conference – did not know that. Only LA has fewer.

60 – FC talking to Mathis – Mathis coming into game – lots of instructions to Clint.

60 - Sanneh with long ball to Freeman’s corner – Freeman no where in sight – wide open Chicago player stumbles – dishes ball to Mapp – Petke lunges at Mapp – Mapp jukes – Mapp runs into Karanka but keeps ball - Mapp with shot at top of box – Save Cannon.

61 – Mathis in for Wasson – Wasson good on free kicks and safe passes – poor on creating opportunities.

61 – Peterson intentionally wins a Rapids CK – Niko with CK – short – back to Niko – but out of bounds. Goal Kick.

63 – Gargan with throw into Petke with cross – too hard – Beckerman recovers ball – crosses back into box – to Petke’s head – hits post! Thorton was beat

65 – FC in interview thinks second half is better than first – Personally I think defensively yes – offensively no – and we’re down a goal.

69 – Chicago with excellent passing (Rapids allowing too much space) results in a header off a cross – big save Cannon.

71 – NOTE – when the Rapids make a real poor pass – you can hear some guy “Haaaaa Hahaha Haaaaa hahaha!!” Pretty funny.

72 – Kirovski set to come into the game for Thiago Martins. Martins didn’t have enough command of the ball this game.

73 – Petke last man back – slips – gets up impedes Logan Pause – SMART. Indirect. Scramble – Pablo clears.

74 – Mapp – dipsy doodling from sideline to top of box – good moves – dishes ball to teammate – drop back to another player for shot – Pablo blocks – Niko heads back to Hunter – Hunter up to Clint in middle of field – Clint with three men on with perfect ball to Kirovski – Jovan turns ball up field sprinting - looks to Peterson in corner – Chicago scrambling to get back – Peterson in from corner of box all alone with Jovan’s excellent throughball – good first touch by Jacob – cut/drops back to PK spot to Clint – tough ball – Clint tries to stop it for a close Jovan – but too difficult – Rapids lose possession. Great skills displayed by the veterans.

76 – Rapids getting ball into box – lost on Jacob’s short header – back in by Freeman – Niko tackled – Sanneh with Long ball over top to Herron – Cannon off line – out of box to intercept!

77 – Mapp out – he’s the man for Chicago no doubt.

82 – Rapids running out of steam.

83 – Not much movement off of ball.

83 – Kirovsky with good ball to Peterson – cross – cleared OB. Nkong coming in for Petke. Pablo drops back.

84 Petke chips over two defenders a ball into corner for Peterson – HARD Long cross – falls to Mathis – Mathis with failed one timer into box to Niko comes back to him – trap – good ball into box to Jovan – not full control – pokes over to Niko – big shot – blocked – Chicago gains ball.

87 – Big through ball by Chicago – Segares pass ball to corner of net – Cannon out of position – goal wide open – Carr has step on Freeman – Carr goes down – Ref talking to Assistant – PK – Freeman sees Red – deservedly so – intentional trip on a sure goal.

89 - Guiterrez shoots wide – still 1-0.

90 – Niko with the corner – headed out of the box by Chicago – 4 minutes stoppage time.

91 - Section 8 sounding really good with “Fiiiireeeeee … Fiiireeee … Fire Fire Fire”

92 – Carr standing on ball – Beckerman nails him – yellow card.

93 – Chicago is managing clock very well.

93 – Nkong with good hustle and hear wins ball to Gargan – over to Jovan. Poked out of bounds – Rapids throw in.

94 – Hard work by Pablo and Niko – unsuccessful crosses by Gargan – Goal Kick Chicago – final whistle.