Rapids vs Chicago .... 8/26 [R]

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by rapidfan, Aug 24, 2006.

1. rapidfan

rapidfan Member

May 13, 2003
    Boulder
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I would like to see the following starting line up on Saturday.

............. Cannon ...........
    Freeman .. Karanka .. Petke .. Denton
    Peterson .. Beckerman .. Pablo .. Niko
    ....... Fabrice & Tarley ......

2. ringshot

ringshot New Member

Sep 14, 2005
    Broomfield, CO
    Re: Rapids vs Chicago .... 8/26

I think you need to swap Petke and Karanka; and after last night's USOC game, Becks probably should be rested... hmmm, Mathis instead?

BTW, any word on viewing party? FO??

G'Day...Ron :D

3. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    I'm not sure if we'll see becks starting or not. He's young and scrawny so he might have the endurance. Assuming we don't and assuming Cooke is healthy :

Freeman .. Petke .. Karanka .. Denton
    Cooke.. Wasson.. Pablo .. Niko
    ............... Mathis ...............
    ............... Tarley ............... ​

4. chilistrider

chilistrider Together We Rise

May 9, 2002
    Thornton, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From the web site:

5. DavidJames

DavidJames Member+

May 11, 2003
    Longmont
    Assuming Cooke is not available this is the team I think FC puts on the field.

-------------Cannon--------------
    Freeman--Petke--Karanka--Denton
    ---Wasson--Pablo--Kyle--Jacob---
    ---------Martins---Nico-----------

My team...

-------------Cannon--------------
    Freeman--Petke--Karanka--Denton
    ----Nico---Pablo--Kyle--Jacob----
    ---------Mathis---Tarley----------

6. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For some reason the above is how I read your statement. My thought was "Damn, if we're that desperate I'd rather put Balboa out there..."

7. jwieties

jwieties New Member

Jan 11, 2006
    Nkong is back on the roster... says he signed today.
    http://www.coloradorapids.com/Team/PlayerProfile.asp?PID=55
    Mentions that he scored 3 goals against Chicago last season.
    With Becks going 120 on Wed... good chance we will see Nkong for at least 30 this weekend. Maybe even a start? FC seems to trust him and although he let him go it looks like he worked hard to get him back.

This is great for the Rapids and MLS. I really thought Nkong was one of the most exciting players in the league last season. He knows more about the league and refs this years so I hope he can avoid the "caution" problems he had. I just hope we can keep him for next season and lose some of our bagage.

Rapids - 2
    Chicago - 0
    Goals from Nkong (Niko assist) and Karanka (gets on the end of a Niko corner)

8. RapidStorm

RapidStorm Member+

Jan 30, 2005
    Denver, CO
    That is fantastic news, but unless he's been training hard with the team and training hard in France, I sincerely doubt he sees more than 10-15 minutes.

I wish his contract wasn't just essentially a 2 month trial though, we need to lock this guy up for longer.

Something to begin thinking about: Toronto's joining the league next year, so there will be an expansion draft of sorts. Under the supposed/speculated new league rules, Toronto's roster has to be compiled mostly of Canadians, but we'll still probably be forced to protect a certain number of players when Toronto starts harvesting MLS teams for what would be their SIs. We currently have a logjam of tweeners - Mathis, Kirovski, even Noel and Nkong - and central mids - Wasson, Pablo, Beckerman. I'm predicting at least one will be traded and another will be picked up in the expansion draft.

9. DavidJames

DavidJames Member+

May 11, 2003
    Longmont
    :D
    Sentence structure, sometimes an illusive target.

10. chilistrider

May 9, 2002
    Thornton, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Soyez la bienvenue, Monsieur Cerveau! :) Welcome back, Alain! I hope we see him against Chicago.

11. DavidJames

DavidJames Member+

May 11, 2003
    Longmont
    My guess is we'll see him as a sub, perhaps when Kyle tires.

Who's running the "pick the minute Alain gets his first yellow" lottery? :)

12. deron

deron New Member

Jul 25, 2006
    Centennial, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alain comes in at 60t minute.

Yellow care in the 88th.

13. RMJB

RMJB New Member

Mar 8, 2005
    Denver
    My proposed lineup:

-----Cannon------
    Freeman--Karanka--Petke---Pablo
    Clarke--Beckerman---Peterson
    --------Nkong-----------
    Martins----------Nico-----

Subs:
    65' Noel for Martins

Note: Cooke for Clarke (if Cooke is healthy)

14. RapidStorm

RapidStorm Member+

Jan 30, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Clark is a very left-sided player, I don't believe Pablo has ever played left back. Switch those two and I think it's not a bad lineup at all, but I imagine we're 2-3 weeks away from that one, in terms of match fitness and training players to the new positions.

15. rayadicto18

rayadicto18 New Member

Aug 25, 2006
    Santa Barbara, CA
    hi all, how are you all doing? hope everything is great. well i'm new to the forum. i've been reading the threads since thiago martins joined the team and now i decided to join in. i dont know if you guys no the story of when he got to the U.S. and how he was living on in the streets and all that stuff. To make a long story short. when he was living in the streets my dad picked him up one day and brought him home and he stayed at my house for 6 or 7 months. he then started to go to santa barbara city college played there then went on to ucsb and i'm sure you know the rest. he is my godfather.

as much as you guys want him to score goals, i want him to score goals too. i talk to him after the game on wednesday and he was very devastated about the red card, he said he really let his teammates down. well hope to hear from some of you. take care. Go Rapids

16. GoRapids

GoRapids Member

Sep 1, 1999
    Boulder CO
    Hats off to your father!

17. rayadicto18

rayadicto18 New Member

Aug 25, 2006
    Santa Barbara, CA
  18. chilistrider

May 9, 2002
    Thornton, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Welcome to the boards, rayadicto18. I had never heard that story about Thiago before. Fascinating. And now I will think of the theme music to "The Godfather" whenever I see him! :D

19. rayadicto18

rayadicto18 New Member

Aug 25, 2006
    Santa Barbara, CA
    thanks for the welcome. its a very long story but i made it short. Go Rapids

20. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City

Oh great, trying to show the human side of the guy and take away my ability to bitch and moan about him. Thanks for nothing buddy! :D

I'm kidding. Thanks for the story. It does make it harder, at least for me, to omplain about the guy when I hear things like this.

21. GoRapids

GoRapids Member

Sep 1, 1999
    Boulder CO
    You gotta seperate the player from the person :) Works in both directions too - like Barry Bonds - great player - big A-hole - or Josh Wolff - same deal.

But if Thiago ain't getting it done - you can hate the player - and think the person is wonderful.

22. rayadicto18

rayadicto18 New Member

Aug 25, 2006
    Santa Barbara, CA
    i know that he is not getting the job done, but who is? he has to do better inside the 18, cause he does miss a lot. i hope he scores on saturday and i hope the rapids get the win. he tends to loose his head to easy, like he did on wednesday and he has to work on that.

23. newnew

newnew Red Card

Dec 9, 2005
    I remember to see that article in LATimes. This article is a resume.

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/centralphoenix/articles/0812ext-soccercol0812Z4.html

He is a great player and person. Had 22 goals in 23 games of Hounds A-League 2003 . After 2 months he went to DC, injured two times ACL on the bad auxiliar field RFK. Stayed 14 months out, getting treatment, and returned last year, playing at Chivas USA. With this kind of injury, doctors say that a player normally goes back to his usual shape again only after the same time it took him to treat it. Now is the time. You can never forget how to ride a bike, can you? The same happens with soccer. If you know it, you know it. He is helping the Rapids and certainly will help more. Just wait for it!:D

24. phills

phills Member

Nov 24, 1999
    why are we constantly thinking about changing the lineup. I liked the lineup for last week's game and the dc game except put in pablo I like the 451, It gives kyle more ability to go on offense which he has been good at this year.
    I would like to see

canon
    gargan petke karanka freeman
    pablo
    wasson
    beckerman

clarke peterson

? martins/ tarley/ ?

25. BeTheRed

BeTheRed Member

May 16, 2006
    We have to change the line-up because the ways of Fernando are an enigma.

Please, no Gargan.

My lineup:
    Freeman .. Petke .. Karanka .. Denton
    ............... Pablo ...............
    Niko.. Beckerman.. Nkong... Pedersen
    ............... Mathis ...............