Rapids trade colors with LA???

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by Mr Hanki's Throne, Aug 29, 2002.

1. smudgeyjoe

smudgeyjoe Member

Dec 15, 2001
    Westminster Colorado
    Kappa Dabba Doo

I, too, am a big fan of Kappa, and will be sorry to see them go. That aside, I haven't liked this year's jersey. It may be functionally good, but to me, it's just ugly. You can't grab it, but who would want to. In regards to the Kappa logo, as an elementary school PE teacher, I have gone crazy trying to explain what the logo stands for. I posted the explanation from the Kappa site on my bulletin board, that it was a male and female soccer player sitting back to back, promoting the fact that men and women should both be allowed to play soccer, but it didn't matter, the kids thought it was cooler to think it was two naked ladies. I gave up trying to convince them. It is a great concept, but grassroots understanding ultimately wins out. I like green, but I wouldn't care if they played in pink with orange stripes if they could win consistently.
    Let's win Sunday so I can use my playoff tickets. Go Raps!!!!!

2. Khansingh

Khansingh New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    The Luton Palace
    Re: Re: Rapids trade colors with LA???

Thank God someone else noticed. There's a regular customer to my store, a professor, who is either wearing a Red Sox or Roma cap. The first time I saw it, I asked, "Is that some strip club? It looks like the mudflaps on a truck."

3. wcgcapone

wcgcapone Member

Feb 6, 2001
    Denver, CO, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They won't loose me as a season ticket holder; but will I buy anything Black and Blue? Hell no! The Rapids are green, I'll continue to wear green and I guess that means not blindly coughing up dough for the front orifice by buying Rapids merch.

4. Mr Hanki's Throne

Mr Hanki's Throne New Member

Mar 13, 2001
    Wellington, Colo
    Continue to wear green? Must be a stinking Galaxy fan.....

;)

5. Soccerholic

Soccerholic New Member

Mar 6, 2001
    Mile High
    I will be sad to see this year's jersery go and even sadder if the Rapids don't wear green anymore.

6. ax319

ax319 New Member

Jul 7, 2002
    although i like Kappa and own the current Rapids jersey, i dont mind the fact that they will be switching to Atletica since i like what they have done for the Burn and the MFL teams, but the whole Black and Blue crap pisses me off and it made things even worse when i heard LA wants to steal our colors.

7. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

Nov 24, 1999
    Tianjin, China
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Makes no difference to me. Black and blue is fine. If it makes the team feel better, fantastic. Think about the now soon to be old school jerseys you have, those will be so fashionable later on. You may even get some chump to pay you double what you purchased it for.

Just get rid of the pandering to the under 10 crowd at the matches and push that peanut butter and jelly down the garbage disposal.

8. chilistrider

chilistrider Together We Rise

May 9, 2002
    Thornton, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Saw Coach H. at the picnic in W'minster today, and I had a chance to talk to him a bit about the color change. Apart from saying that he thought black & blue were good colors for promoting a tougher image (and that he thought the Fire had awesome kits), he said that frankly the green uniform can sometimes be too hard to see against a green field. Not enough contrast (sort of like the new website?). I guess when you're making split-second decisions on the pitch, that could turn into a real issue.

He said the new uniforms would keep a bit of the green---like, some green piping on a blue shirt---and that eventually they might do a third uniform that works even more green back in. But he was happy to hear that people were already getting nostalgic for the green gear.

I was kind of against the color change, but after hearing how behind it Hankinson was, I have to admit I'm swayed...some...

9. wcgcapone

wcgcapone Member

Feb 6, 2001
    Denver, CO, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [sarcasm]Gee, now we know why Nigeria has always been so inconsistant...[/sarcasm]

I don´t buy it...

10. greenie

greenie New Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    Yeah, why wouldn't you be swayed? Clearly Hankinson is a genius. In just two years he's taken a team that finished with 43 points to one that could finish with as much as 45 points.

11. HalfManHalfAmazing

HalfManHalfAmazing New Member

Sep 13, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wish they would ask the fans to vote, because I would love to see an Orange kit. It would fit in line with the spirit of Denver, and the current jersey is HORRIFIC looking. It's SUPER gay and tight, i'd never buy one and Im a collector. Every single Colorado sports team has a VERY unique color scheme and it sucks that the Rapids will have something that a TON of sports teams have.

12. rocketeer22

rocketeer22 Member+

Apr 11, 2000
    Oakton,VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perhaps if they do change Colorado's colors to blue & black, it is due to the Pepsi logo on the shirt. I guess the Rapids can become living, breathing Pepsi cans.

13. ax319

ax319 New Member

Jul 7, 2002
    Pepsi no Longer has its logo on the Rapids Kits so thats not a reason

14. live4lazio

live4lazio New Member

Feb 7, 2000
    columbus, Ohio, USA
    I am not a Rapids fan, but I must admit that I am sad to see the green go. I am sick of the MLS changing stuff that is good and doesn't need to be changed. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Now as for the former San Jose clash getting new colors when they became the E-quakes, ok, fine. The Clash colors of florescent orange, lime green, electric blue and chartreuse looked like the wrong side of a Crayola collectors edition box of the florescent crayons. Horrid.

But I admit I am not pleased with MLS when it comes to the assigning of color schemes. Ever notice how ridiculous it is that we have only 10 teams and 5 color schemes? Hell, we have four teams in red, black, and white alone--DC United, Metrostars, Burn, and Fire. The Quakes and Wizards are both in light blue and white. At least the Crew (black and yellow), Rapids (soon-to-not- be green, white, and black), Revs (red,white, and blue), and Galaxy (teal and gold) had different colors. One thing I like about Miami was their color scheme--yellow and blue. Even Tampa was different--dark blue, aqua, and white. If Italy can have a purple team, why can't we? And I think Holland's orange and black combo is very striking. We need some imagination around here.

As far as kit manufacturers are concerned: Puma is ok, Umbro makes great stuff, and Adidas is pretty classy. But I personally would never make fun of a Kappa wearing team.

That said, my congrats to the Rapids for a great year. I may be a DC fan and by place of residence a Crew season ticket holder (before you rag on me, I married a Crew supporter from columbus that I met through the away game trips, and I am doing my part to support the league), but I have admired the Rapids for their attractive football this season. They have been a joy and pleasure to watch. Best of luck in the playoffs!

15. minorthreat

minorthreat Member

Jan 1, 2001
    NYC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Well, the color change makes sense when you consider that our (the Fire's) new sponsor is Puma. I guess MLS' new strategy to try and get butts in seats is to dress Chicago like Poland and LA like Mexico.