Rapids trade colors with LA???

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by Mr Hanki's Throne, Aug 29, 2002.

1. Mr Hanki's Throne

Mr Hanki's Throne New Member

Mar 13, 2001
    Wellington, Colo
    From Soccer America's MLS Confidential:

NEW LOOKS: The Galaxy is designing a new uniform for next season,
    when it moves into its new stadium at the Home Depot National
    Training Center.
    A dark green will replace teal as the team's primary home color.
    Also rumbling out of the league office is word that Nike is being
    forced to drop one of its teams.
    A source says Nike, which also outfits the Quakes, Galaxy, MetroStars
    and Fire, will lose its high-profile sponsorship of the Fire. Chicago
    general manager Peter Wilt refused to comment.
    Rumored to be the replacement is Puma, which has outfitted Colorado
    in past seasons but currently has no MLS team.
    Also tabbed for new sponsorship are the Rapids, with Atletica replacing Kappa.

2. Worm Burner

Worm Burner New Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Denver
    I'm all for this. I really don't mind Kappa myself, but I'm sick of all the jokes about mudflaps and Playboy from nonsoccer fans.

I wish we could get Adidas, Umbro or Diadora instead of Atletica.

3. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Atletica is for Spanish teams, or so it has always assumed. When the Revs had it, they had a large hispanic percentage on the team, and Dallas, well enough said there. I bought a few Revs jerseys, and the Atletica ones are uncomfortable.

4. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Rapids trade colors with LA???

I second that, though I'll still wear my Rapids windbreaker. In the rain capital of the country (Western Washington) I have yet to have the rain soak through that windbreaker....

5. jdonnici

jdonnici Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Westminster, CO
    Re: Re: Rapids trade colors with LA???

Even if you ARE a soccer fan, if you grew up in the US, you can't help but occasionally think the same thing when you see the Kappa logo. :)

I'm with you, though... Adidas or Umbro would be cool. Even Puma would be nice -- most comfortable cleats I've owned over time have usually been Puma.

6. greenie

greenie New Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    I could care less who the kit manufacturer is.

I'm pretty steamed over the notion that one AEG property is ditching green so that another AEG property can use it.

What's next, trade Spencer to the Galaxy to bring Tyrone Marshall back?

7. Worm Burner

Worm Burner New Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Denver
    I do care who makes the kits. Look at DC United Adidas uniforms compare to our Kappa wetsuits. Most people at the games are still wearing the previous kit instead of the new one, for obvious reasons.

I do agree though that it is ridiculous for us to lose the green and for the Galaxy to use it. It makes the argument that it is a move trying to sell more jerseys based off of color popularity pretty much mute. You would think the Rapids would fight for this a little more.

8. Northcal19

Northcal19 New Member

Feb 18, 2000
    Celtic Tavern LODO (
    I like the Kappa stuff, and am not looking forward to Athletica. Greenie is right re keeping the green, and it does appear we are switching colors with LA.

9. chilistrider

chilistrider Together We Rise

May 9, 2002
    Thornton, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The first awareness I really had of kits being made by different manufacturers was when I noticed how great the Italia nats jerseys are, and I dig it that the Rapids jerseys are similar. During World Cup I noticed an awful lot of jersey grabbing between teams but that it was pretty hard for other teams to grab at the Italians' wetsuits.

What teams wear Atletica kits? I don't really know what those look like.

As for the "color swap," I'm sad to see the green go (will greenie start going by bluie?), but poor Galaxy! They *need* a color change. Their colors are absolutely TERRIBLE! Thank goodness we're not going to be black & TEAL. What a ridiculous color. Teal. Doesn't even sound like a real word if you say it a few times.

10. wcgcapone

wcgcapone Member

Feb 6, 2001
    Denver, CO, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    F Counce
    F MLS

11. wcgcapone

wcgcapone Member

Feb 6, 2001
    Denver, CO, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll say write more once I can see straight again, I'm so pissed...

12. chilistrider

chilistrider Together We Rise

May 9, 2002
    Thornton, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, it's not so bad: at least we're not waiting to see if MLS is going to take the rest of the season off while they quibble over millions of dollars worth of salary!

13. Worm Burner

Worm Burner New Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Denver
    The most high profile team is the Mexican national team. I believe a bunch of MFL teams are sponsored as well. Not sure which ones though.

14. Mr Hanki's Throne

Mr Hanki's Throne New Member

Mar 13, 2001
    Wellington, Colo
    I think the Revs and Burn are sporting Atletica uniforms.

I was surprised that it took a while for the real shock of my message to hook in, and that is that LA is going to take our colors. Not good enough for Colorado, but just right for California. Whatever. Maybe it is Big Phil's favorite color and now LA is his favorite team?

I have like LA's uniforms these last few years. I don't know what people don't like about it.

15. Worm Burner

Worm Burner New Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Denver
    I did a little more research and these are the MFL teams that are sponsored by Atletica: Chivas, Atlas, Toluca, Tigres, Monterrey, Morelia, Pachuca, and Puebla.

The only MLS team sponsored by Atletica is the Dallas Burn. The Revs are sponsored by Umbro.

16. GreatZar

GreatZar Member

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Mar 29, 1999
    Denver, CO, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But God forbid we actually show disapproval with our money and stay away. Soccer fans are somehow indebted to MLS to ensure one league survives so we continue pissin' away our money like saps even when they do things like this to us...

17. Rapids/Arsenal Fan

Mar 8, 2001
    Denver, CO USA
    I think that's true. In many sports people protest with their pocketbook, and it works. MLS is different, though. I think this is the last chance for soccer to make it in the USA. And if the MLS folds (and it's barely surviving now), watch the USMNT drop to the level of an El Salvador or Guatemala and the strides that we've made over the last 12 years go down the drain.

I'm probably in the minority here, but the Rapids are my team. The Rapids are what I care about. Not a team color or a kit supplier.

18. spot

spot Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Centennial
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll agree with you about the second part of this. The Rapids are my team. I like the green and black, but Blue and Black will work just as well. I might have shared others strong feelings if the Rapids had ever had a uniform that I liked, the color scheme not withstanding.

19. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Burn have been outfitted by Atletica since 2001. Most Burn fans are much happier with them than they were with Nike. For one thing, they offer a wide selection of Burn gear. They actually sell not only the home shirt, but also the road shirt and the 3rd shirt. For another, it's not too difficult to find their Burn gear around town.

And honestly, the quality and the workmanship of the Atletica shirts has been drastically higher than that of the Nike shirts. They feel a lot less cheap than the Nike shirts.

I have no idea how Kappa has worked out for the Rapids, so I can't compare if Atletica will be better or worse for you, but I'm happy with them.

20. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As for what their gear looks like, Burn striker Jason Kreis will assist us. Here he is in the Burn's home uniform:

[​IMG]

21. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And in the road uniform:

[​IMG]

22. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And in the only-seen-once-this-season 3rd shirt:

[​IMG]

23. trickyfool

trickyfool New Member

Feb 11, 1999
    Orlando, FL
    OK, so the galaxy are changing their main color to green next season, but where have you guys heard that the rapids are going for a change? Last I heard, it was simply an idea and a rumor. You guys have some inside info?

24. Rapids/Arsenal Fan

Mar 8, 2001
    Denver, CO USA
    Nothing official has been said, but all signs point in that direction. A lot of their marketing and promotion stuff is done in black and blue now.

25. greenie

greenie New Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    When Counce announced this in a press conference and it was reported in the Denver Post, I figured that was pretty damn official:
    Full article at:
    http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,1413,36%7E94%7E567879,00.html