Rapids to sign Gabriel Torres

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by CommodoreSlacksburn, Jul 24, 2013.

1. 22SteveD

22SteveD Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, that's why I put "not to mention" just to show what is required for business Visa.;)

He would just need a signed contract and to apply from his passport issuing country as far as I know.

2. dismemberment

dismemberment Member

Dec 10, 2007
    colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Wednesday will be the day its announced.

3. W.J. Marx

W.J. Marx Member

Apr 5, 1999
    Boulder, Colorado
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very different players. Powers is a box to box midfielder, a worker, a link to an attacking midfielder as well as the forwards. Rivero is an attacking midfielder, a truly creative player, a must for the Rapids. Ne'er the twain shall meet. If the Rapids are going to settle for an "almost as good as" the team will not fulfill its full potential.

4. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True Marx, but money might not be there to Pay Rivero after his $1M rights buy-out per other posts. They might know someone who can fill this role for a much cheaper price tag.

JasonMa and wormhole repped this.
  5. spot

spot Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Centennial
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I read this and experience dissonance. From my seat he's been an occasionally creative player whose creativity has shown promise, but a serious lack of consistency. So far he's been more creative than his teammates by a few degrees rather than magnitudes.

BYLRPhil repped this.
  6. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Really? He was no magician, but last year he seemed to be pretty much the only way the team moved the ball up the field without a longball or an overlapping run on the flank.

7. spot

spot Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Centennial
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yeah really. I saw promise, but nothing that screams creativity to me. He's good at holding the ball. Alright but not great at movement off the ball - needs improvement. Pretty good out wide, but not so great in the middle. There's a lot to work with, but definitely not a finished product.

He gets a lot Freddy Adu points as far as I'm concerned. I don't think he suffers from the same mental issues, and think he'll come good but his moments were few.

And, shining on last years team in any regard is hardly a resume builder.

8. dismemberment

dismemberment Member

Dec 10, 2007
    colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think rivero's foot is going to be a huge liability the rest of his career. with that said if we can buy him out under 800 k i say do so but even at that price i see if there isn't someone else we could sign. like the gringo torres nor lobo or someone his age but with english and understanding of the mls. big gap to fill with out rivero but powers done a decent job so far better then i expected him to be playing.

9. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And you base this on? So far his foot hasn't been a real problem this year (his leg muscles on the other hand...

Ah, but the decision isn't between Rivero and Powers straight up. Its between Rivero as a DP and his $365K salary and an international spot vs. Powers at his sub $100K salary and no international spot. In my scenario I'm suggesting that not signing Rivero as a DP and relying on Powers allows us to sign Torres. Would you rather have Rivero and Powers or Powers and Torres?

jayd8888 repped this.
  10. dismemberment

dismemberment Member

Dec 10, 2007
    colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought rivero has been out with a foot injury ever since he returned ?

11. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Ok, but that's not what you appeared to be saying in the post I responded to:

You can rip him for being one of the best players on a crappy team, but he was more than a few degrees brighter than his teammates. The team's crappiness was a lot more their fault than his. He didn't just hold the ball, he moved it. Larentowicz held the ball. Powers holds the ball. Rivero could actually dribble with it, and not just away from pressure or in circles while shielding the ball from players. Again-he was not a magicial who single-handedly wove his way through defenses. But a hell of a lot more effective than the other players in this regard.

Which is not to say he's worth a $1 million purchase fee, if that's what we're dealing with. He would have to have shown improvement--a few more defense-splitting passes, keeping his shot down. That's what makes his injuries this year such a bummer--we can't see if he's going to make that improvement.

12. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's been out with a left quad strain.

13. dismemberment

dismemberment Member

Dec 10, 2007
    colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It dont take this long to heal back up from a quad strain lol unless he is made of glass like pato........

I don't think hes the missing key to the team tho.... we need someone taller stronger faster but able to play his role.

14. BYLRPhil

BYLRPhil Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry Rivero, but buh-bye. An Argentine Stuart Holden. (too soon?)

15. dismemberment

dismemberment Member

Dec 10, 2007
    colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we can manage to keep rivero next year i'd like to see what he can do. but we are so far into the season i don't know if he can make a difference at all. unless the plan is to get pickens rivero and torres in time for the play offs.

16. Bridgeman

Bridgeman Member

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Feb 25, 2006
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've yet to see a rippin goal from Rivero like I have from the young buck. He doesn't even get it on frame all that often. He does distribute well. Powers bigger, tougher. Give him a yr or two nobody ll remember Rivero if he goes.. Not saying he should just not a huge loss IMHO.

BYLRPhil repped this.
  17. Soaker888

Soaker888 Member+

Feb 21, 2012
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Regardless of one's take on Rivero so far, I think most can agree he is not currently a player worth paying $1m for a transfer fee. He is also not worth a $365k salary right now either.

Waterboy14 and BYLRPhil repped this.
  18. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Is it odd that a guy from the Argentine 2nd division would have a million dollar transfer fee?

19. spot

spot Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Centennial
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

There's the value and then there's what they think they can get.

I have a feeling some less than sophisticated clubs might think $1mm bills grow on trees in the US considering how much trouble we had getting him last year and Elondou's deal.

20. dismemberment

dismemberment Member

Dec 10, 2007
    colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just hope op ain't trying to build the teams he was on and find a player similar to him and play that cam cf roll........ games changed we need someone like marek hamsik

21. crazyjon85

crazyjon85 Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ok you find the next hamsik...:rolleyes:

22. 22SteveD

22SteveD Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Somehow i think if TH had not publicly stated he was signed (yes signed on free transfer) before the fact, we or MLS would of walked away from what this deal ended up being. But to save face a loan deal was worked out.

Still think Rivero has a place in MLS but not at his "cost" with current transfer fee and injury time year to date. I prefer more dynamic #10, guys who make runs, 1v1 skills and can score. But those are hard to find in a salary cap league.

JasonMa repped this.
  23. dismemberment

dismemberment Member

Dec 10, 2007
    colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    under 1 million budget kind that kind of player won't happen maybe 5 10 million and we could snag someone like hamsik but all you need to play like him is some decent pace strength passing and heading ablity obviously helps if you can dribble like him but i'm just saying look at the role he plays in napoli ops philosophy is the same just a tremendous budget difference.

24. wormhole

wormhole Member

Mar 25, 2009
    Westminster, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The familiar quiet between the not so subtle RFO leaks and the BS conjecture about any official announcement.

25. W.J. Marx

W.J. Marx Member

Apr 5, 1999
    Boulder, Colorado
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I understand but where is that replacement creative CAM? The Rapids have been without one since Carlos Valderamma retired!

Simple, I would rather have a healthy Rivero CAM & a Powers B2B than a Powers CAM & an MLS unproven Torres F.