PBP: Rapids @ Timbers • Weds., Sept. 15 • 8pm

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by unkiemark, Sep 14, 2021.

1. Bridgeman

Bridgeman Member

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Feb 25, 2006
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fire Rosenberry immediately.

2. SccrDon

SccrDon Member+

Dec 4, 2001
    Colorado Springs
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS 10-man advantage strikes again.

Andy126 repped this.
  3. Maarten van 242

Jan 20, 2012
    Club:
    Lille OSC
    Gotta watch that again, but how the hell did Rosenberry let his man get behind him so easily at such a critical time? (ya don't overplay when you're up and trying to hold on for a few minutes)

Sports Yak and JasonMa repped this.
  4. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, not worse than Yarbrough's OG in Sandy

Paranoid Coyote and Sports Yak repped this.
  5. SccrDon

SccrDon Member+

Dec 4, 2001
    Colorado Springs
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, he got beat - but Wilson and Trusty in the middle lost track of their guys.

Both times we scored we went flat and they made us pay.

Maarten van 242, Andy126 and JasonMa repped this.
  6. Sports Yak

Sports Yak Member+

Jul 17, 2007
    Lakewood
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Thanks for reminding me. But close.

JasonMa repped this.
  7. Andy126

Andy126 Member

Mar 31, 2017
    That sucked.

I hate Portland.

I hate Seattle more. But I hate Portland a lot.

AlbertCamus and Sports Yak repped this.
  8. Sports Yak

Sports Yak Member+

Jul 17, 2007
    Lakewood
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Unacceptable tie. Really.

9. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When tied 1-1 the xG was 1.7 for each team. It ended 2.7 for Portland, 2.0 for Colorado. Over the last ~15 minutes Portland, down a man, had 0.7 xG more than we did.

Stuart95, Andy126, TheWarmBurger and 2 others repped this.
  10. Maarten van 242

Jan 20, 2012
    Club:
    Lille OSC
    When PDX tied it at 1-1, the crowd blew up and sustained that support and almost willed the team to win in the end. I know that's an exaggeration, but the intense home support had to make a huge difference in this one.

TheWarmBurger repped this.
  11. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    On the firsts Portland goal I was going nuts when Wilson committed the foul as giving up set pieces is one way to assist an opponent that's down a man. It was a "luck" goal in that it took a couple of bounces and went right to the far post where there was one player unmarked.

Second conceded goal was truly inexcusable in that Rosenberry let his man beat him to the end line ( and went even more nuts than on Wilson's foul) when he needed to just keep the ball in front of him. And again it took a fortuitous deflection (for Portland) this time off Abubakar and went right to the center of the six yard box for a clean shot.

Terrible game management by the Rapids with a 10 man advantage twice having a goal lead. Conceding the first goal gave the momentum to Portland. And they didn't flinch after Barrios' wonder golazo (looked like he was trying to score as hit it with the outside of his foot.).

Conceding late goals in two consecutive matches is really tough to swallow.

12. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Was this the first match this season where the Rapids have played with a man advantage? I made the comment when the Timbers went down to ten men that the Rapids really aren't built to patiently break down a defense in that situation as they like to score on counters and services into the middle for wide spaces.

Regardless, that result was inexcusable.

Sports Yak and Andy126 repped this.
  13. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]
    Tonight's eXpected Goals chart. Portland had more xG after they went down a man than before, and had more than we did after they went down a man.

COMtnGuy, Stuart95 and Andy126 repped this.
  14. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    COMtnGuy and AlbertCamus repped this.
  15. Maarten van 242

Jan 20, 2012
    Club:
    Lille OSC
    After seeing it Saturday and again tonight, I had the same thought. We've avoided this virtually all season till now... the Rapids way of old. Conceding in the end. Granted that in many past years, conceding late often led to a loss. Lately it's just been losing leads. Either way, we're leaving points on the table again.

JasonMa repped this.
  16. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    Honestly….tonight they just got out hustled on the field. Portland wanted it more and it showed.

Rapids players were being too cute with their passes, possessions, challenges, marking, and tackling. Portland simply wanted it a lot more tonight than we did - played like it, and got not one, but two game tying goals.

17. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On the surface, a point on the road midweek, is a good result. I would take that result 9 times out of 10. But this was two points lost, There’s a bitter feel to it. Up a man and up 2-1 you have to close that match out. I thought we played arrogantly and naive in that position. Our passing was too casual. The defending too casual. And our mindset to just sit and absorb the pressure was too casual. It just reeked of arrogance. I didn’t like it. I sat there and thought, you’re not giving Portland respect. A comeback is brewing. Portland felt that and they wanted it more. Lots to bitch and moan about this game. But at the end of the day we’re still unbeaten in 9 and just 2 points behind Seattle and 5 points up on LAG. Let’s just hope this was a case of the midweek blues and not a trend of giving up late goals and points at the end of game.

18. Sports Yak

Sports Yak Member+

Jul 17, 2007
    Lakewood
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I'm sure Rosenberry feels terrible today. You could see his body language on the pitch after his defensive lapse. However--and not to pile on--that is the exact reason Rosenberry stays on the pitch for the Rapids. It's not because he is a skilled player, it's because he's a consistent player who makes sound plays. He's the old Drew Moore--he may not have great speed or athleticism, but he makes up for it by being in the right position.

Oh well, everyone makes mistakes. Have to say, I thought Abubakar and Bassett played iffy games. Not sure what is going on in Bassett's mind right now.

JasonMa repped this.
  19. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder

Sports Yak, COMtnGuy and JasonMa repped this.