PBP: Rapids @ Timbers • Weds., Sept. 15 • 8pm

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by unkiemark, Sep 14, 2021.

1. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Yes, it's time for another match. Seems quick.

No idea what to think about this one. It's on turf and the first meeting between these two sides this season.

Still hoping that Acosta doesn't make this trip. Hopefully Rubio is ready to go, even if he doesn't start.

As a reminder, the Rapids play again on Sunday night v Vancouver in Commerce City. So it's another three game week.

AlbertCamus and JasonMa repped this.
  2. Sports Yak

Sports Yak Member+

Jul 17, 2007
    Lakewood
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Tomorrow? Yikes. 2-0 loss. My first loss prediction since the streak.

Hope against hope I’m wrong. Yarbrough will want to pitch a shut out.

3. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1-0 win, goal by Rubio. Portland has one of the worst defenses in the league, but they've won their last 3 games by shutout. The first against Seattle, impressively, but the other two against Vancouver and Houston who don't have great offenses. I don't think they can keep the shoutout run going, meanwhile I'm liking our chances at bouncing back from a disappointing draw on Saturday.

http://view-from-the-couch.blogspot.com/2021/09/axe-timbers.html

COMtnGuy and TheWarmBurger repped this.
  4. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are no players listed on the injury report or otherwise unavailable for tonight's game on the Rapids media notes. (For Colorado, Portland has an absence or two)

AlbertCamus repped this.
  5. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    So, that means Rubio will be out again yeah? :ROFLMAO:

6. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    So the Timbers have scored in 13 straight games, scoring 19 goals in that stretch (1.46 goals per game). They’ve also allowed 22 goals in that stretch (1.69 goals per game).

However, they allowed 17 of those 22 goals in 4 games. If you take those 4 games out as outliers, then Portland would be averaging 0.56 goals against, and 1.56 goals for per game in their last stretch of games.

So, look for Portland to be a really tough matchup tonight. Plus, they’ve been on the road their last 5 games and will look to put up a good performance as they want to keep their playoff push alive (currently 5th in the west, but only 3 points ahead of LAFC in 8th who are coming on strong lately).

That being said, the Rapids are undefeated in their last 8 games, only allowing 5 goals in that stretch (0.63 goals against avg) and scoring 11 (1.38 avg) - and haven’t allowed more than one goal in any of those 8.

I have a feeling this can turn into one of those shootout type games with lots of goals being scored - but this could also end up being a defensive showdown. I’m thinking it’s another 2-0 win for the good guys tonight tho. Fraser will have us out there looking solid. Price will be back too. We’re also really solid on the road.

Portland will be looking to get control early. If the Rapids can weather that first storm and take control of the flow of the game (like we have done time and time again) this can go well for us.

Stuart95 repped this.
  7. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Similarly the Rapids have given up 21 goals in 22 games this season, but 9 of those goals were in 3 games against Austin, FSL, and SKC. So in the other 19 games they've given up 12 goals. We gave two goals up twice (to LAFC and Minnesota), so in 17 games we've given up 1 or 0 goals (9 shutouts, 8 1 goal games). We've also only been shutout 3 times this season.

TheWarmBurger and Stuart95 repped this.
  8. MrPerfectNot

MrPerfectNot Member+

Jul 9, 2011
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Will test the Rapids / Altitude terrestrial radio network this evening. Headed up into the Dakota's for family business for a few days. So, looking at Altitude's network - looks like my best choices are AM stations in Fort Morgan, Colorado, Scottsbluff, Nebraska, and Belle Fourche, South Dakota.

Bonus points for anyone who can properly pronounce "Belle Fourche". It's a bit of a shibboleth to know if anyone is familiar with the northern plains area.

AlbertCamus repped this.
  9. SccrDon

SccrDon Member+

Dec 4, 2001
    Colorado Springs
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would know how to pronounce it if it were in France (or Quebec). How they pronounce it in SD is anybody's guess.

Dubois, WY, is pronounced Du-bois (as in Boise) by the natives. And there's always Bu-na Vista, CO.

10. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I know nothing, so I’ll go with 1-1 Rapids.

Anyone have a good outdoor place to watch in Boulder/ Broomfield area? Otherwise I’ll have to sneak into that old folks home again.

Sports Yak repped this.
  11. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    AlbertCamus repped this.
  12. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. safcfan

safcfan Member

Feb 28, 2003
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Any links for streaming would be appreciated, i actually have the night off...if only Comcast had Altitude, sigh

Sports Yak repped this.
  14. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    Probably a 5-4-1 on defensive transitions, but a 4-3-2-1 on the offense with Galvan pushing high.

Imagine Fraser will want to keep Acosta and Barrios on the bench if able to with our game on Sunday - however, can see both or either of them coming on if needed around the 65-70th minute. I also imagine Esteves comes on for Galvan at some point to spell Galvan and keep his minutes fresh

Sports Yak and JasonMa repped this.
  15. Sports Yak

Sports Yak Member+

Jul 17, 2007
    Lakewood
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Scary bad miss by Lewis. C’mon.

Maarten van 242 repped this.
  16. Maarten van 242

Jan 20, 2012
    Club:
    Lille OSC
    As of the 30th minute, I'm really digging the persistent pressure. Solid. And when they give it up to PDX, their possession sure as hell doesn't last long (though Blanco had a few nice chances).

But damn, been a bit frustrated with Jonathan Lewis... or at least the circumstances he's been in. Getting bodied off the ball in the box, missing on a few open shots, etc.. In most cases, his diminutive size was at least partially an effect in most of the above. Then again, Bassett got bodied off the ball in the box as well, I think.

And then you have Galvan... Wow. It seems he's had like 20 crosses from the left side already! That's great news. But after about the 4th or 5th one, I was hoping he'd mix up his routine a bit to keep them off guard... dribbling, attack, take them to the end line,... but it's mostly all crosses. Maybe one or two were he dribbled back toward the middle a bit. He's gotta be more than the one-trick pony (as has come up in past thread discussions).

Anyway. Just a few observations. Bottomline, they're playing well! Go 'Pids!

17. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its on in the Rose City. First Blanco gets a yellow that could have been red, then Trusty sends a message in response and gets a yellow

TheWarmBurger repped this.
  18. Maarten van 242

Jan 20, 2012
    Club:
    Lille OSC
    #18 Maarten van 242, Sep 15, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2021
    And just as I say that... Galvan beats Tuiloma by attacking to the endline to draw a yellow and a free kick! I gotta post that sh$t more often! ;-)

Andy126 repped this.
  19. Andy126

Andy126 Member

Mar 31, 2017
    Galvan player of the match so far. Constantly dangerous. He whips in a pretty dangerous cross. Unfortunate there’s been no one on the receiving end but agree it’s be nice to see him switch it up with some attacking. Shinyashiki’s been crafty on the ball as well. Price in typical control of the middle when on the ball.

Not much from Lewis or Bassett so far.

20. SccrDon

SccrDon Member+

Dec 4, 2001
    Colorado Springs
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tuiloma with some more stupidity and Portland now has the MLS 10-man advantage.

21. Sports Yak

Sports Yak Member+

Jul 17, 2007
    Lakewood
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Let’s get three points boys.

Andy126 repped this.
  22. SccrDon

SccrDon Member+

Dec 4, 2001
    Colorado Springs
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A Kiwi who can't play fullback in MLS? Sounds familiar somehow

23. Sports Yak

Sports Yak Member+

Jul 17, 2007
    Lakewood
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Entertaining first half even with no goals.

SccrDon repped this.
  24. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Barrios likely to come in sooner rather than later now, with 3 points ripe for the taking

25. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    They put up a graphic about 35min into the game saying the Rapids had already attempted 18 crosses. Pretty sure 16 of those were Galvan lol :ROFLMAO:

Sports Yak and Maarten van 242 repped this.