Rapids Stadium Update

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by monster, Aug 25, 2006.

1. joehooligan0303

joehooligan0303 Member+

Dec 16, 2001
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All I can say about the Rapids new stadium is..........

"I thought the Rocky Mountains would be a whole lot rockier than this."
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. FC5280

FC5280 Member

Dec 21, 2003
    Those pictures are like 4 months old. According to the Rapids the structure work is all finished and they are at the point where they are doing drywall and electrical work. They are VERY confident that the stadium will be completed BEFORE the opening match in April.

3. yellowbismark

yellowbismark Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I drove by the stadium last week when I was in Denver/Commerce City, and although it was hard to see much from Quebec Street, from the outside it looked like the exterior structure was mostly done.

One thing that is a concern that I wanted to ask to Rapids fans, after viewing the site, is when is the roadwork on Quebec Street near the stadium going to be finished? (and is that construction related to the stadium/development?) If that street is all torn up when the season starts, I cannot possibly imagine 5-7,000 cars going through that mess.

4. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

"Math is hard!"

5. FC5280

FC5280 Member

Dec 21, 2003
    Yes the roadwork on Quebec is DIRECTLY related to the stadium and should be finished by January I believe is what has been said. Even if its not there are three other ways to get to the site. Via 60th. 64th and 56th.

6. Justin O

Justin O Member+

Seattle Sounders
    United States
    Nov 30, 1998
    on the run from the covid
    Club:
    Seattle
    AHHHH...you mean turf placement. When I read "sod placement" I thought you meant they were assigning seats to Rapids season ticket holders.

7. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Anyone else get the feeling this is an eff u to naysayers? ;)

Sachin

8. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As a "naysayer" regarding the proposed DC SSS, I would like nothing more than a big FU....

:D

9. joehooligan0303

joehooligan0303 Member+

Dec 16, 2001
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know those pictures I put up were several months old. I wasn't trying to say anything about the speed of construction. I was trying to say I am really confussed by the landscape. It looks like Kansas, not the rocky mountains. I have never been to the Denver area, but I always expected you could see the mountains from everywhere. It was just a joke, but I guess no one thouht it was funny :(

10. deron

deron New Member

Jul 25, 2006
    Centennial, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup, it does look like Kansas. From Denver east ward we out do Kansas in barren landscape category.

Denver's about 10 miles from the eastern edge of the mountains - not in them. You can pretty much see the mountains from anywhere, but you have to be looking west.

11. joehooligan0303

joehooligan0303 Member+

Dec 16, 2001
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the info. :)

12. Sempuukyaku

Sempuukyaku Member+

Apr 30, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't it lovely that the stadium will be done.....AFTER I just moved here to Seattle?

Grrr....stupid graduating from college :(

13. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Well I just hope you learned your lesson.

You deserve ALL the neg rep that I and all my sockpuppets gave you!

(I kid, I kid. I have no sock puppets and I did NOT give him neg rep.) :)

14. ax319

ax319 New Member

Jul 7, 2002
    To answer everyone's question about whether or not we will share the stadium with a lacrosse team, the answer is no. There are two lacrosse teams in Denver, the first is the Mammoth, and they are an indoor team that plays its games at Pepsi Center. KSE has announced that the Mammoth will use the Rapids facilities for youth games, camps, development etc. but no actual Mammoth games would be played there for the obvious reason; the NLL is an indoor lacrosse league. The second team, which is called the Denver Outlaws, owned by Pat Bowlen is part of MLL, an outdoor league. The whole reason Pat Bowlen and INVESCO Field brought this team to Denver was because the Rapids are moving to their own stadium. INVESCO Filed wanted to fill dates during the summer which would now be empty since the Rapids are moving. The whole reason this team exists is because of the Rapids move out of INVESCO.

15. capitalist

capitalist New Member

Nov 13, 2004
    Great news! After watching the Fire game tonight, I can't wait for the day when all MLS teams play in soccer stadiums (with no NFL lines)

16. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    That is great news! I'm sure that the only thing holding this league back was the fact that you hadn't yet signed off on soccer stadiums!

17. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    You need a roof covering the entire stadium. Don't you know that it's the only way soccer can succeed in ColoColoRado? (thanks, uclacarlos)

Sachin

19. paladius

paladius Member

Sep 27, 2003
    Frisco, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any possibility of getting hi-res images? These images won't expand (enlarge) without pixelizing badly.

Anyway, looks good to see green on the pitch... This is a big step forward, and I think this is going to be one of the nices fields (aesthetically).

20. USFootiefan1980

LAFC
    United States
    Aug 19, 2005
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks great. Congrats Rapids fans.

21. seahawkdad

seahawkdad Spoon!!!

Jun 2, 2000
    Lincoln, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What he said.

22. capitalist

capitalist New Member

Nov 13, 2004
  23. sundayparkplayer

Feb 8, 2006
    Anyone know what time this sod laying took place? The one side of the stands is casting a huge shadow almost to the middle of the field. Maybe it was in the morning?

24. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
  25. Etienne_72772

Etienne_72772 Member+

Oct 14, 1999