Rapids Stadium Update

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by monster, Aug 25, 2006.

1. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They have a photo op set for next Tuesday for sod placement.

Is an MLS stadium actually going to be completed months ahead of its first game? :eek:

2. cdin

cdin Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Waukesha, WI
    I might be open in time for the start of the season but sod placement is hardly the last step. The sod was installed in Toyota park in November of December. Full 7 or 8 months before the stadium opened.

3. USFootiefan1980

LAFC
    United States
    Aug 19, 2005
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Holy crap! They're laying the sod already?!? wow, whoever you guys got working out there in Colorado send them to Harrison when you're done please.;)

4. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sure that the Colorado organization has to be happy about that. The long road-trips at the beginning of the season has been a killer to everyone, including the fans. Being able to start in their new digs from day one is a much better situation for the entire league and specifically for the Rapids. Wonderful news.

5. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Things look good for an on-time opening. Denver gets as many days of sun as does Southern California. It just gets nasty when a blizzard rolls in and promptly rolls out.

... or so I'm told. I've never been.

6. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like I'll be making my first trip to Denver next year ........... unless DC is unfortunate enough to play there during midweek.

7. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After 8 non-Saturday games this year we better damn well not have any miod-week games next year in our own stadium...

8. Chowda

Chowda Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I feel ya. The Revs have had five saturday home games this year and two were afternoon games.

The problem was our schedule, for games both home and away, kept getting moved around due to concerts or pats games.

Better get to midweek games with 13 teams unless they start the season over a month early. There's also that possible tournament with mexican teams and those friendlies that SUM seems to be making a killing on.

9. GoRapids

GoRapids Member

Sep 1, 1999
    Boulder CO
    Real mild winter - and real dry spring - allowed them to make some crazy progress. I think they may be ahead of schedule - but not positive.

10. Brother Badgerjohn

Oct 16, 2000
    Okie City
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This year, our enemy was Lacrosse. Pat Bowlen owns the new MLL (or NLL, or MILL, or whatever they call it) team and gave them all the Saturdays. We have Dallas, Salt Lake, LA...all decent games...on Wednesday.

11. wolfp10

wolfp10 Member

Sep 25, 2005
    The sod is down in Wembley, and that may not be ready for the FA Cup Final in May!

12. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You pretty much have to get the turf started before the bulding if you're going to have any hope of having a playable surface in eight months. This ain't your basic suburban red fescue tree lawn.

When they built Crew stadium, the Scotts people (their HQ used to be up the road in Marysville) came in and laid down the pitch in an otherwise empty field. There was literally nothing else there. (There are some cool pictures someplace)

They then constructed the stadium around it. There was no fallback location, since the field at Ohio Stadium was also completely dug up because they were lowering it fifteen feet as part of the renovations to add 12,000 seats.

Ideally, I'm told, field managers would like 18 months at a minimum, but I don't think anyone in MLS has ever had that luxury.

13. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    I moved to Colorado the first week of July and it's rained at my house every afternoon except two. Of course, I'm at 9,100', and that has something to do with it. Nice mornings though.

14. GoRapids

GoRapids Member

Sep 1, 1999
    Boulder CO
    Yeah it's a lot dryer in Denver - but rain has picked up this late Summer for sure.

15. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    slightly north of a mile high
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Considering it was supposed to be ready for this last may's FA Cup Final, it isn't exactly a good indicator of a smoothly run construction.

16. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't hold your breath.

17. rocketeer22

rocketeer22 Member+

Apr 11, 2000
    Oakton,VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't the MLL team supposed to follow the Rapids out to Commerce City?

18. joehooligan0303

joehooligan0303 Member+

Dec 16, 2001
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even if they do, I would hope that the Rapids would have control of the schedule since it is their stadium.

19. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Up in the air right now since the guy who "owns" Invesco owns the MLL team IIRC. There was some talk about getting them though.

20. FnordUnitedFC

FnordUnitedFC Member

Jun 22, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I doubt it, I live in the Southern California desert and my hometown averages 351.4 days of sunshine a year.

21. P1brit

P1brit Member

Mar 31, 2005
    Novi, MI
    Club:
    Swindon Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The Mammoth were supposed to use the facility to grow the game on the youth sie of things. They are the indoor team not the outdoor. Which means that they won't be playing there.

22. deron

deron New Member

Jul 25, 2006
    Centennial, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We get about 69% of the sunlight available to us throughout the year. By contrast LA gets 73% while San Diego gets 68%. Chicago gets 54% and Columbus gets 50%.

23. deron

deron New Member

Jul 25, 2006
    Centennial, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's the Outlaws of MLL that are likely to play there.

24. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

Oh, really.

Never mind.

:p