Rapids Release Narrowed List of Head Coach Candidates

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by Rapids Front Office, Dec 1, 2004.

1. spot

spot Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Centennial
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who will you be most disappointed to see get the job?

2. mjraw

mjraw Member

Jan 10, 2002
    Denver

Clavijo

3. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Good point. ON the flip side, money on a coach won't bring success. For example, what did Queiroz or Bora due in the MLS?

4. as roma

as roma New Member

Dec 15, 2004
  5. Rapids/Arsenal Fan

Mar 8, 2001
    Denver, CO USA
    Sure he could. But is he willing?

He was a big basketball fan long before he ever looked into soccer. He's really trying to build the Nuggets into a championship contender...I think that's his #1 priority. I believe the Rapids and Mammoth take a back seat to the Nuggets and Avs when it comes to who gets what portion of the KSE budget.

6. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't necessarily see it as cost cutting. I think a first time MLS head coach (the short list has two with MLS head coaching experience) shouldn't be able to demand a high end of the scale salary. Make the guy work for a raise after some success. Since I'm not in favor of Clavijo and Sigi is going to be really expensive, I think around $90,000 - $110,000 is appropriate for a first time coach.

7. spot

spot Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Centennial
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with this. Clavijo and the fatman are the only two coaches with head coaching experience. All others while possibly brimming with potential are unproven, and don't deserve a proven salary. The question is do you spend big money on a guy who has experience, but no real success. Or, money on a guy who has a lot of success, but I swear to god it was done with mirrors. I admit a bias against Sigi having felt that the Galaxy have been one of the most boring teams in the league inspite of having some of the most exciting talent.

8. usasoc

usasoc New Member

Aug 21, 2003
    The question is do you spend big money on a guy who has experience, but no real success. Or, money on a guy who has a lot of success
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    well if we want to give the money to a guy with experience we could of kept HANKINSON! IMO sigi and Clivjo are just like him... Lets go with an unproven and see how things are.. we already know the other two since they have coached and also fired from other mls teams. why do people consistently want has been.. there time is up .. let new blood in

9. greenie

greenie New Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    Except for the fact that Sigi won what, 4 or 5 trophies with the Galaxy and numerous titles with UCLA. And that the day Sigi was canned, his team had the best record in the league?

While I would rather see some new blood in the position (namely Onalfo, Osorio or Hamlett), I won't be complaining if the Rapids wind up hiring Sigi no matter how much they pay him. His salary doesn't come out of the cap. :)

10. burmm

burmm Member

Apr 12, 1999
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Denver native. School in Denver. Now in CT. Rapids fan since day #1. Long time Big Soccer member.

11. gilmoreaz

gilmoreaz Member

Aug 19, 2003
    Peoria, Arizona
    Hey Rapids fans... Your club would be well-served to hire Fernando Clavijo!

He is a tremendous talent as a coach and could do some great things for your team!

His hands were tied in New England and I am sure learned some very valuable lessons there...

He did not fail in Haiti. Many do not realize that he took a job no one else would take and considered it a challenge. He stepped-up and took a group of young players and together they accomplished more than that country's national team has in many, many years. Most do not know that Clavijo dipped into his own pocket on many occasions to support their efforts financially.

I have known him since 1983 and am hopeful that he gets another chance in MLS. He is a well-respected, fantastic person and a tireless worker. He deserves an opportunity somewhere!

Again Rapids fans, he would be a fantastic Manager for your team for what it's worth!

12. GoRapids

GoRapids Member

Sep 1, 1999
    Boulder CO
    ... first time caller! ;)

13. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was hoping the Rapids would give us a coach this week. Now it looks like next. Come on!

14. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    how long did Clavijo coach in New England?

15. The Grass Man

The Grass Man New Member

Sep 14, 2004
    On a soccer field
    Bonji...last time I checked X-mas was next week, on the 24th!

now be a good boy and maybe, just maybe Santa will get you a new Head Coach for x-mas!

:D