Rapids Release Narrowed List of Head Coach Candidates

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by Rapids Front Office, Dec 1, 2004.

1. greenie

greenie New Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    Well, the "official" list is only on the Rapids' site. With the exception of Osorio, it's the same list that we had on Rapidsfan -- and counting Osorio, the same list as what was being run here in the forums:

Bliss, Clavijo, Hamlett, Onalfo, Osorio, Soehn

Still, very impressive that the Rapids didn't just release a list, but published bios as well! Perhaps this is the dawn of a new era of information coming from the team... (I can dream, can't I?)

At least four of the six candidates speak fluent Spanish -- perhaps 5, I'm not sure about Onalfo. If Soehn speaks Spanish, then I've not read that anywhere.

Too bad that Tritt is not on the list. Here's hoping that whoever is chosen doesn't jettison Steve while ascending to the throne.

2. Northcal19

Northcal19 New Member

Feb 18, 2000
    Celtic Tavern LODO (
    Ya, too bad Trittchuh (sp?) isn't on the list. Would have been a good candidate. Maybe he was nixed for being too close to Hanki. Anyway, onward and upward.

3. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe Tritt doesn't think he's ready or want the job.

Someone going to apologize to Greenie for calling his site hearsay when he has the same list? Ok, it was all public knowledge already but he had it.

4. ManU62280

ManU62280 New Member

Dec 2, 2004
    Colorado
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am not sure if Tritt is ready or able to step up to being a head coach. I just don't picture him being a head coach.

5. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On MLSnet.com they say there are others besides the 6 announced.
    Maybe Tritt...

6. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you read the Rapids' article you'll see that those not listed are due to current job situations. I'd imagine Tritt would make the list if he is under consideration since his current coaching situation wouldn't be hurt by being on the list.

7. DavidJames

DavidJames Member+

May 11, 2003
    Longmont
    Bingo...

"Wright said it was mutually agreed not to interview Rapids assistant Steve Trittschuh for the vacancy, citing a lack of experience."

From today's DP:
    http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,1413,36~94~2570800,00.html

8. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    I guess they figured that since everyone in the soccer commuity knew about it, they might as well come out and tell everyone what they already knew!

I think this was done to create some local media coverage since all the info on the coaching was coming from media sources outside Denver. Worked, too. Kinda sad it took this for the Rapids to get some coverage of their coaching search, but kudos to them for being proactive about it.

Onalfo played in Mexico and is married to a Mexican. He speaks fluent Spanish. Don't know about Soehn speaking Spanish. What I do know about Soehn is that he's the only person in MLS to participate in the last two MLS Cups, in his case as an assistant, and that in the last two years he's been part of winning the Open Cup, Supporters' Shield and MLS Cup after winning one MLS Cup and three Open Cups (one w/ Dallas, two w/ the Fire) as a player.

I'm guessing the other two are college coaches and they don't want their names announced publicly because if they don't get the job it could hurt their ability to recruit as coaches from rival schools would point to the candidate looking to leave and use that against him in recruiting.

As for which college coaches, I don't know.

9. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My guess on the college coaches would be from the Eight remaining teams in the NCAA tourney.

10. Bilbo

Bilbo New Member

Dec 29, 2003
    Box under I-25/ I-70
    It's a great time to be the only MLS team looking for a coach. I seriously doubt those assistants who've been passed on before have a serious shot. If his name ends in an "o" he's got a great shot.

11. churchill2000

churchill2000 3x MLS Cup Champions

Jul 12, 2004
    Monde Virtuel
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    For what its worth I believe that Juan Carlos Osorio is going to be one of the top picks, why?
    An article in the soccer magazine Futbol Mundial, handed out at MLS Cup matches, entitled " Esto Es Progreso? Juan Carlos Osorio quiere huir de Inglaterra para volver a America".
    "This is Progress? Juan C. Osorio wants to leave England to comeback to the US."
    He states that he feels he can progress and do much more by leaving Manchester City of England and coming back to the MLS, he was assit. Coach to Octavio Zambrano (Metrostars).

I would imagine that he has alot of eyes on him, in the MLS, and the fact that he is working for Manchester City, and wants to coach in MLS is something.

This article can be accessed on futbolmundialUSA.com

12. madmike

madmike New Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Juan Carlos Osorio has an outstanding resume and work experience. I remember him being an assistant coach with an A-league team back in the late 90's, and from there he was plucked by Octavio Zambrano to become his first assistant with the Metros. Supposedly he was in charge of the day to day traing as he is now with Manchester City of the EPL, and all his players praise him a great deal. Claudia Reyna was quoted last year that Osorio would be a great coach in the MLS.
    I hope he does get the job. After all if he can deal with as high level of players as in the EPL, I am certain he will do a fine job with the Rapids.

13. Izzy

Izzy New Member

May 4, 2004
    my bet is on Clavijo. he can lead the team to glory

14. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope not. He's at the bottom of my list after bombing with NE. Yeah he got them to MLS Cup in '02 but remember, they were the total underdog and didn't have a great season. I feel like he would do the same thing Hanki did. Maybe not with the same style, but he'd get the same results.

I am still leaning towards Bliss as he has been a part of a great team in KC. Gansler is the best coach in MLS so I'm hoping he's learned some things along the way.

15. The Grass Man

The Grass Man New Member

Sep 14, 2004
    On a soccer field
    A great team that has been playing almost as entertaining soccer as the Rapids during the last five years!

I rather have a team that is a contender for the cup with ENTERTAINING soccer that I can watch week after week, then one that reaches MLS Cup almost every year with a totally defensive style of soccer...which is exactly what KC has done for the most part!

My money is on Onalfo (he would run this team like the Nats. -National team that is-) and if you ask me, I like the way the US plays!

or Clavijo with a heavy influence from south American style of play that has been evened up with a vast knowledge of the American players. (He was one of them!)

16. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't Clavijo can canned by Haiti because he couldn't coach?

17. spot

spot Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Centennial
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

In fairness to KC they've made the best of what they've had. Losing the ageless wonder was a big adjustment, and yet they still made the final.

18. mjraw

mjraw Member

Jan 10, 2002
    Denver
    I agree. Their style of play reflects the talent they have. From what I've seen, they adapted their style of play to the players in their organization. That's not to say they didn't pick up players that fit that style. Either way, the KC staff adapted their style to their players or picked up players to fit their style. Which ever one it is, that is a better approach than we have had in the Hanki/Counce system. While I can't stand the boring, counter-attacking style, results are what matter. Everyone wants an entertaining, attack oriented style that wins, but if we do not have the talent to play that style, you adapt to what you have. Winning is the bottom line.

Which ever coach we pick, I just hope we have a consistant, organized style of play where all of the players know what is expected week-in and week-out. If it's an sit back and counter-attack style, we better win (and be competitive in the end) or there will be another drop off in attendance. If it's an attacking, goal-scoring (more entertaining for the casual fan) style, you still have to win. At the end of the day, you are what your record says you are. Winning counts.

19. Via_Chicago

Via_Chicago Member

Apr 1, 2004
    Bay Area, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know if any of you saw this article by Ives Galarcep. If you scroll to the bottom, he briefly touches on the decision to release the list of six potential coaches, and he also notes that one of the three coaches not mentioned is Sigi Schmid.

20. GoRapids

GoRapids Member

Sep 1, 1999
    Boulder CO
    Interesting ... I would think the names being floated all have permissions by their teams to publically go for the jobs! I mean why would KC or DC hold back their assistant coaches?

21. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting stance on this one. I don't know what is the right way to do it but I don't really think it is a big a fau paux as this guy makes it out to be. It seems like he was looking for a story.

22. Malaga CF fan

Malaga CF fan Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gotta agree. Making a mountain out of a molehill. Maybe the faux pas he believes the Rapids are making is announcing it themselves, as opposed to them "leaking" it to the press. What, did he get snubbed for the story?

It was pretty well known that Bliss was interested, and had obtained permission from his club. For that matter, so has Soehn. Bruce Arena gave his personal endorsement to Onalfo. Hamlett's name has been thrown around for coaching vacancies, and not just the Rapids.

Does this guy read or keep track of this? Or is this just a knee jerk reaction to reading one single story on the Rapids website regarding the candidates under consideration? Methinks this guy hasn't been paying attention.

23. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    I think Ives is one of the best soccer reporters in the country. But, I don't think this is the goat-screw he makes it out to be.

That said, there's no denying that the Rapids annoucning a partial list of coaching "finalists" is a very unusual move. I said this earlier, but I still maintain they did this because the local reporters weren't covering the coaching search at all and that by announcing the "finalists" it got them ink from the Denver papers.

Why they didn't just leak the info, like someone suggested a couple posts back, I don't know. That would have been the more orthodox way to handle this type of thing. But announcing finalists and then saying it's just a partial list and that there are as many as nine "finalists" makes the team look like it's not quite sure where its going.

I mean, nine finalists? Please. Track meets don't have nine finalists. Finalists are when you're down to 2-3 guys. What - did 'Celo not want to hurt anyone's feelings?

24. The Grass Man

The Grass Man New Member

Sep 14, 2004
    On a soccer field
    I don't understand what the big deal is either. Everywere in the world of soccer (maybe not in the world of American sports) they talk about the candidates to such important positions.

Especially if the names had already been reported on other newspapers around the nation?

You think he (and his newspaper) would have stopped from printing the names himself if he had had the list of names before anyone???

I think he is pissed that the RFO broke the story first on the team's webpage.

Once a reporter, always a reporter!