Rapids @ RBNY • Tues., Aug. 2 • 5:30pm

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by unkiemark, Aug 1, 2022.

1. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. SccrDon

SccrDon Member+

Dec 4, 2001
    Colorado Springs
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Toure!! 3-5

Or not. Turned away so don't know why goal was taken off the board...

3. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Holy Crap!

4. SccrDon

SccrDon Member+

Dec 4, 2001
    Colorado Springs
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Toure again, and this time it counts! 3-5

Stuart95 repped this.
  5. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are we sure Abubakar didn't just change jerseys at half?

Sports Yak and AlbertCamus repped this.
  6. SccrDon

SccrDon Member+

Dec 4, 2001
    Colorado Springs
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rosenberry with a needless foul in the box and PK. Barlow converts 4-5

7. SccrDon

SccrDon Member+

Dec 4, 2001
    Colorado Springs
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Barlow's 2nd goal chalked off for offside and it stays 4-5

8. Sports Yak

Sports Yak Member+

Jul 17, 2007
    Lakewood
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I can’t believe what I just saw. I can’t explain it.

Stuart95, unkiemark and SccrDon repped this.
  9. pdid10

pdid10 Member+

Aug 8, 2008
    Boulder
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Max had a great outing. Game kind of flipped after he was subbed on. Great turn and long ball to Zardes to start the tying goal. Plus headed down the corner for Warner’s rebound goal. Lalas had a off night but he will bounce back.

10. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apparently I missed a wild, wild affair. Damn. Our first road win and I miss it. Can’t wait to watch the replay. Been. While since we’ve put 5 past an opponent. I think that was again LAFC last Oct or Nov.

AlbertCamus and JasonMa repped this.
  11. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder

JasonMa repped this.
  12. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    The game winner -

AlbertCamus repped this.
  13. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    AlbertCamus and COMtnGuy repped this.
  14. Riccardo55

Riccardo55 Member+

Mar 11, 2001
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Um, I really thought my phone was malfunctioning this AM. Pinch me. Maybe this is the "Great Awakening"?

R

p.s. Anyone have a favorite EPL Fantasy Team?

15. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Blackburn :ROFLMAO:

AlbertCamus and Riccardo55 repped this.
  16. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
  17. Sports Yak

Sports Yak Member+

Jul 17, 2007
    Lakewood
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    A day later and I’m still shaking my head. But my last picture is the boys giving up two goals in the final minutes to throw it away. VAR to the rescue.

The takeaway is there is no takeaway. The defense is in shambles. The substitutes gave us life against an incredibly fatigued team. Those are games that you need to win and move on.

18. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kudos for the players sticking with the game and getting the W. However, we still played really poorly and this win had more to do with New York being completely gassed and throwing the game away over us playing particularity well.

Fraser absolutely needs to stop this 3 CB crap. Its pretty clear that more defenders in this system does not mean better defense. Out starting 11 had 5 defenders and a DM on the field, and we conceded 3 goals in under 30 minutes. Thats appalling. We play significantly better when we have a 4-man back line. The knock-on effect of that also means we have more players up field and we can transition better rather than leaving guys on an island. Seriously Robin, stop it.

Barrios also needs to be starting. Sure, he may not be a full 90 player anymore and his speed and agility works well on tired players, but we're shooting ourselves in the foot when we keep putting ourselves in situations where we're down a goal, the attack is anemic, and we have to bring him in every time because all we seem to do without him is hoof-ball.

19. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We are better with 4 in the back than 5, but lets not use our defensive performance in this one as a strong point against 5. We only gave up 3 goals because of the absolute atrocious play by Abubakar. Two of those 3 goals came out of nothing until Lalas turned the ball over deep. On the first a simple play out of the back became a direct pass to an RBNY attacker, and on the third there was no threat until he tried to play a soft square ball to Rosenberry and completely mishit it.

A competent defensive player and we're probably only giving up 1 goal in that first 30 minutes (and maybe not even that, since the second goal was scored by the man Lalas was supposed to be marking on the free kick). An interesting note, not counting the penalty kicks, RBNY only had two shots on goal after the 10th minute.

That said, we're still much better with a 4-man backline than a 5-man.

TheWarmBurger and Rod1916 repped this.
  20. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure, individual errors led to the goals...but you'd think one of the 4 other defenders or the DM would be able to help cover screw ups. It doesn't excuse Lalas having a horrid game, but I expect more when he have more than half our field players dedicated to a defensive formation.

21. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Watching the match, both RBNY's first and third (pk) goals would have been really challenging for other defender to help with given the timing and location of each. There is a point at which any individual player has to make a smart and timely play on the ball with some pressure on them without a lot of cover.

Both of those goals were really big screw ups by Abubakar, but unlike previous matches the Rapids were able to get themselves back into the match.

JasonMa repped this.
  22. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Like everyone else who watched the match, I'm at a loss for words to describe it.

How many deflected goals were there? And once again VAR was involved. Fortunately, for this match the Rapids showed the resiliency they had last season.

It was really frustrating to watch the Rapids once again hurt themselves by gifting a couple goals (1st & 3rd). At the same time the Rapids were able to just take advantage of their two first half shots to produce goals. And of course this set them up to make a game of it.

One factor that really helped the Rapids was the friendly played by RBNY on Saturday night v Barcelona. The Rapids had to agree to move the match to Tuesday and in the second half the combination of heat, humidity and fatigued Red Bulls the Rapids pounced.

JasonMa repped this.
  23. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    1554786657382965253 is not a valid tweet id

24. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids