Rapids Off-season 2014-15 Catch-all thread

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by Totoro, Oct 26, 2014.

1. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With the 5 internationals we already have (Brown, Eloundou, Knight, Sanchez, Torres) plus Sarvas that fills 6 of our 7 slots. We started with 8, got 1 permanently from FSL for Gregorio, and gave 1 up through 2016 for Harris and 1 up through 2031 for Nyassi.

Sjoberg would fill that last slot, leaving no room for the Argentines.

EDIT: We still have 1 open slot as we acquired one in the Sarvas trade. So room for 1 of the 2 Argentinian players.

COMtnGuy repped this.
  2. Cos_Mos

Cos_Mos Member

Aug 31, 2007
    Broomfield
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we got an international slot from LA in addition to Sarvas.
    EDIT: Jason is faster than I am.

How does he get used in the midfield? Did't LA use him and Juninho sort of side by side as DM's? Does he play next to Powers or is he a direct replacement for Jose Mari?

3. Rod1916

Rod1916 Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Are the Rapids able to bring more than the allotted number of international slots to pre-season?

If so, I could see them bringing in both Argentines and seeing what happens. Maybe Knight doesn't stick if one of the new big guys sticks. Or Eloundou gets dumped to Charlotte (does he still count against us?). Or Maybe Torres really is in PM's doghouse and doesn't make the team. Or the Rapids trade for an open international slot.

Lots of options that I could see get worked out in pre-season.

rod.

jayd8888 repped this.
  4. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, we only have to be roster-compliant at the beginning of the season, and the rules for how players count in USL hasn't been revealed yet (probably being decided in the CBA negotiations). So there are options, my numbers are based on the 2014 roster rules.

5. Riccardo55

Riccardo55 Member+

Mar 11, 2001
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pablo.jpg

Pablo's new look.
    How can we *NOT* be good this year!!!!!!

R

JasonMa and Stuart95 repped this.
  6. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dam we playing Poker at Draft?

7. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    I think picking up Bobby Burling was meaningful.

unkiemark, Soaker888 and Stuart95 repped this.
  8. mparker

mparker Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Section 141 Row G
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You got a good midfielder in Sarvas. He is the kind of player that can set the tone of a game. I have seen several Galaxy games where the entire pitch would pivot on his play. He won't score a lot of goals, but he will create chaos for opponents, and creativity for his team mates. I am sorry to see him go, but soccer is a business, he isn't cheap, he is getting older and LA have a lot of midfielders.

9. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Getting in touch with his inner Salvador Dali perhaps.

10. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    I'm guessing that both Argentines make it to Rapids and then the Rapids figure out how to keep all the internationals they really want/need. Could be, as mentioned previously, that a couple of guys are eligible for green cards. Or the Rapids are going to get another allocation?

11. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    I am wondering with the Sarvas addition as well as Pittinari if they are both going to be deep with Powers more forward? Just trying, as always, to figure out formation/strategy.

12. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #712 m vann, Jan 15, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2015

------------------------ Pittinari--------------------

----------Sarvas---------------------Hairston-------

-------------------------Powers--------------------

Good question. I see a diamond in the midfield. Sarvas and Powers (and Hairston to some extent) are interchangeable depending on the load and opponent. Essentially you have 3 central mids in an "advanced" role with a D-mid roaming behind them. Flank play is supplied by Harrington and Klute. The problem with this is does not put Serna on the field. Not sure if I like that. Therefore, I'm not sure if a diamond is the way to go.

You could go with a 5-man midfield of:

------------Sarvas-----------------pittinarri---------

---Serna-------------- Powers--------------------Brown--------

It would be a 4-5-1 with Torres up top. Defensively the shape above is what that midfield would look like but as you attack it would morph into:

-------------Serna ---------Torres------- Brown----------

Torres would be the pivot player with Serna and Brown running off him. Torres' passing is such that this could work. Powers would be making those late runs a la Lampard or Michael Bradley into the area. Pittinarri would be the anchor in front of the defense and Sarvas could be spraying passes from a deep lying position.

BulaJacket and Cos_Mos repped this.
  13. kucsdat

kucsdat Member

Jul 12, 2012
    Ever seen Hercules Poirot? [​IMG]

14. Rod1916

Rod1916 Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Here is a thought:

The Rapids could be killing two birds with one stone. Get the Navy to sponsor the jerseys AND let us have a player. Think about the marketing!

rod.

JasonMa repped this.
  15. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Go Army! :D ;)

16. wilyZ

wilyZ Member

Mar 24, 2008
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i smell a sponsorship in the works
    captain-morgan-pic[1].jpg

17. RapidStorm

RapidStorm Member+

Jan 30, 2005
    Denver, CO
    http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/artic...tional-jozy-altidore-allocation-jermain-defoe

But hey, at least we won the superdraft yesterday...

18. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    MLS's site has a small article about his new look.

19. DavidJames

DavidJames Member+

May 11, 2003
    Longmont
    With the addition of Burling, Harrington and Sarvas the team is following the DC United approach of bringing in solid experienced players. They still need a couple of those "difference makers" yet and hope Torres stays and becomes what we all expected.

20. Rod1916

Rod1916 Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    So, just got the email from C38. Here is what they said about our second DP:

Although no official announcement has been made yet by the Rapids front office, Pablo Mastroeni could be seen parading around at this week’s MLS Superdraft with what appears to be our second Designated Player in club history. Keeping in line with what appears to be a current trend with South American players, the Rapids invited this attacking Argentinean player to take part in draft day events while working out transfer and contract details.

Described on what appears to be his former clubs website as an attacking player with the positional and playmaking sensibilities of a Zidane and the blood thirsty attacking instinct of a Zlatan Ibrahimovic, midfielder/striker Dulce Bigote should be a nice compliment to the new defensive oriented players that the Rapids have brought in for 2015. Rumors are he will wear the number 38 in honor of the Colorado Rapids supporters group Centennial 38 as a sign of solidarity between the players and fans of the team. Transfer fees wit h his former club Vello Facial are undisclosed at this point, but team execs are understood to have been reluctant to see him go as he is a very promising new player on the Argentinean soccer scene. ​

As my role on this board seems to be little knowledge and to poke Jason in the eye, anyone have insight? I will grab the FIFA rankings shortly for posting. ;)

rod

m vann, Totoro and jayd8888 repped this.
  21. Virginian

Virginian Member

Sep 23, 1999
    Denver, Co
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

This is a sick , twisted, cruel joke. Whoever got my hopes up must be flogged, or at least trolled into oblivion. Just. Not. Nice.​

JasonMa repped this.
  22. Matt117

Matt117 Member

Oct 3, 2012
    Tempe, AZ
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is a joke. Google 'Dulce Bigote translate.'

I'm surprised whoever does facebook/twitter for C38 fell for it or started it.

23. Rod1916

Rod1916 Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids

Agreed. Was hoping my Fifa reference added to the fun. :)

Although not a happy joke, too much pain still.....

24. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO

Gonna have his stache wear #38.

25. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    We're Rapids fans, we have to keep our sense of humor.

JasonMa and COMtnGuy repped this.