News: Rapids land Cameroonian in lottery

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by WJMarx, Jan 25, 2013.

1. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

2. BYLRPhil

BYLRPhil Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With Eloundou's arrival I think one of Hill, Cascio, or Mwanga are out in the offseason.

Also, Quinn said we'd probably be looking for a keeper, with Pickens out on trade and Ceus out because he's terrible, we may possibly be looking for TWO keepers.

3. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hate to say it, as I love Pickens, but trading him could conceivably help to acquire one or two of the above. Pickens should have a decent amount of trade value --- for a G.K. anyway. Speaking of target forward's SKC is bound to part was with Bunbury or Sapong with the likes of an emerging Dwyer and Saad. I wouldn't mind working something out for one, preferably Sapong.

4. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't see anyone of these guys being retained. I've always liked Hill, thought he fit into OP's style, but for whatever reason hasn't been in his plans. Now he's just surplus to requirements.

I'd draft a GK or sign a non-draftee. There are actually quite a few GK's right now in the college ranks with pro potential. Then, I'd sign an older, experienced GK, to serve as the #2 and who can mentor Irwin -- if you will. Joe Cannon is likely to be released from Vancouver, why not have him return to CO?? Given his age he won't command a high salary. Hell, there could be a decent option there from USL Pro or NASL that could be a viable #2. Either way, Irwin will be the only GK on the roster sooner than later.

COMtnGuy repped this.
  5. BYLRPhil

BYLRPhil Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I too have always liked Hill. Good player, and a gorgeous man... (my wife lets me say that)

6. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have a spreadsheet on my home desktop that breaks down our entire roster by salary and age. I'll have to post it at the end of the season.

Stuart95, Rod1916, JasonMa and 1 other person repped this.
  7. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry, but you all realize Bravo was the same person Responsible for said in the 18 players...

Edit: I should add- also responsible for trades that brought in guys that lead us to MLS cup as well.

8. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    The seeming drift from MLS retread journeymen to young talented and under the radar foreigners is a positive development. *Without looking too deeply into it.

Rod1916, JasonMa, m vann and 1 other person repped this.
  9. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to say since there appears to be some typos in there, but in general, who is responsible for bringing in players has been a point of some contention on these boards. We don't know how much each person is contributing. If it's all Bravo, then Smith has a legitimate beef considering the players that have been picked up during his tenure vs. Pareja's.

What seems more likely is Pareja and others are contributing to the scouting and evaluation. Pareja is definitely helping to sell the team's prospects, given how guys like Sanchez have referred to Oscar's "project" and wanting to contribute. Bravo may also have improved. And given the that Bravo and Smith didn't see eye to eye and that was a major reason for Smith being let go, it's likely the case that Bravo and Pareja work better together when it comes to finding and signing players.

10. COYP

COYP Member

Aug 5, 2010
    Denver
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think this is important. I've also heard the Rapids are spending significantly more on scouting this year. If true that should be taken into consideration before judging Smith too harshly. If the financial resources are very different it isn't necessarily comparing apples to apples. It is really difficult to judge Bravo's individual impact. The best signings seem to have Pareja's fingerprints on them in my opinion. Also credit needs to be given for the ability to get KSE to spend which I'm guessing is Hinchey and not Bravo. That said in the end individual success doesn't really matter. The team they have working to make decisions is doing well. So even if you can't judge them individually you have to give them high marks overall and for that reason Bravo needs to be given high marks as well.

11. W.J. Marx

W.J. Marx Member

Apr 5, 1999
    Boulder, Colorado
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #211 W.J. Marx, Oct 24, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2013
    IMO, the team is now formidable. While some back-ups are needed, the 1st choice side will be competitive for all trophies in 2014.

As I see it!!!

* Colorado Rapids – Molding the Roster for 2014 & beyond
    The Core (12):

GK
    Matt Pickens
    USA IMO, #1 but likely to be traded!
    GK

Clint Irwin
    USA An outstanding 1st season, with experience he may become a superstar!
    D

Chris Klute
    USA To my delight an emerging star! Wynalda may be right!
    D

Drew Moor
    USA A savvy, versatile veteran!
    D

Diego Calderón
    Ecuador IMO, a 1st choice CB. Will challenge Moor &/or O’Neill
    D

Shane O'Neill
    Ireland/USA To my delight an emerging star!
    M

Hendry Thomas
    Honduras Perhaps, the best D-mid in MLS!
    M

Dillon Powers
    USA As predicted. An emerging star!
    M

Martin Rivero
    Argentina Unfortunately injury delayed stardom. Huge potential!
    M/F

Vicente Sánchez
    Uruguay A terrific signing. A high quality veteran with a lot to offer!
    F

Gabriel Torres
    Panama Rapids’ 1st DP signing with lotsa potential!
    F

Deshorn Brown
    Jamaica As predicted. An emerging star!

Other Importants COGS (3):
    F
    Edson Buddle
    v USA A very disappointing season for this savvy but seemingly lazy veteran! If he stays he must take training & fitness seriously!
    M

Nick LaBrocca
    USA Always giving 100% but is somewhat short on talent!
    M

Nathan Sturgis
    USA A sensational season. Has he truly emerged? Can he repeat?

The “Espoirs” (5):
    F
    Danny Mwanga
    Democratic Republic of Congo Although still young, he is at do or die time in his career!
    F
    Charles Eloundou
    Cameroon A truly exciting prospect. Very fast, very technical player with huge upside! May emerge as an MLS superstar!
    D

Kory Kindle
    USA Very intelligent, very fast, very quick youngster looking for a position, more technical skill & added savvy!
    D

German Mera
    Colombia After a slow start Mera began to show why he was added to the side. IMO, he will become a solid CB!
    M

Dillon Serna
    USA IMO, a very hasty decision to sign as HG!

The to be Gone but Appreciated (3):
    D
    Brian Mullan
    USA A very solid, savvy veteran always giving 100%. I expect him to retire. If not, I would resign him!
    M

Jaime Castrillon
    Colombia Injury derailed his career. A talented player but nowhere to play!
    M

Jamie Smith
    Scotland Never my guy but very well liked & appreciated by most. I expect him to retire & probably coach somewhere!

The to be Gone but not to be missed (7):
    D
    Davy Armstrong
    USA IMO, a very hasty decision to sign as HG! Not MLS quality.
    M

Tony Cascio
    USA Lack of speed & quickness kills! His hard shot & willingness to shoot allows him to catch on elsewhere!
    GK

Steward Ceus
    USA His real talent was growing too 6’6”. His quality is very meager!
    D

Brenton Griffiths
    Jamaica Practice team fodder no longer necessary!
    M

Atiba Harris
    Saint Kitts and Nevis Probably will be retained. But I do not like his quality or style of play. To his credit fewer red cards than earlier!
    F

Kamani Hill
    USA No better in MLS than he was elsewhere!
    D/M

Anthony Wallace
    USA Unfortunately, injury may have diminished a budding talent.

* 8-10 from current roster will be history in 2014.

1st Choice
    ...............................................Torres

.................Brown/Sanchez.........................Sanchez/Eloundou

..........................................................Sanchez/Rivero

...................................Powers

..............................................Thomas
    Klute
    ........................................................................................................Wynne

......................Calderon/O’Neill........................Calderon/Moor

..............................................Pickens/Irwin

Cos_Mos and m vann repped this.
  12. BYLRPhil

BYLRPhil Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was REALLY impressed by Hinchey when I met him at a STH event. Guy's got his head on straight.

13. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #213 m vann, Oct 24, 2013
    Nice list! Here's what I have. Note some guys can fall into one than one category and it's designated by a *

Retained:

GK : Irwin
    DF: Moor, Calderon, Klute, Wynne, O'Neill, Mera
    MF: Rivero*, Sturgis, LaBrocca, Powers, Thomas
    ST: Torres, Brown, Sanchez

Out

GK: Ceus (released), Pickens (trade)
    DF: Griffiths (released), Kindle* (released/loaned)
    MF: Smith (retire/released), Mullan (retired), Hill (released), Castrillon* (released), Cascio (released/trade)
    ST : Mwanga* (released)

Unsure

DF: Wallace
    MF : Harris, Rivero*, Castrillon*
    ST: Buddle, Mwanga*

Loaned

DF - Armstrong, Kindle
    MF - Serna

I would love to see the Rapids officially link up with USL Pro side Phoenix FC and have all 3 of these guys loaned out for a half to a full season to get them games. I think it's in their best interest.

Note - I placed Rivero in two lists because I think it all depends on Rosario Central's asking price and/or if they recall him. I wanted him back. I want him healthy. I don't want him back on loan. I want him permanently.

14. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    I suspect they'll hang on to Mwanga; he's quite young and they thought well enough of him to trade a 1st rounder. Though I guess he could be too expensive. He'd be another good one to loan out to see if playing time helps him any. Cascio, too if they should hold on to him.

15. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I could see Cascio being release, however, I think he does hold some value. He's more likely to be used as trade bait. Mwanga is young, 22, but there must be a reason this is his 3rd club. I haven't see too much from him albeit his minutes have been slim. I think his best option is a release. He could latch onto say an Orlando City or upper echelon NASL side like the NY Cosmos or Tampa Bay Rowdies were he can probably play, have a big role and still develop while young enough to maybe once again draw interest from MLS.

16. BYLRPhil

BYLRPhil Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #216 BYLRPhil, Oct 24, 2013
    Yeah, I think Mwanga, Cascio, and Hill could all have VERY solid USL/NASL careers. I'd like to hang on to Cascio with a loan down, and cut Hill and Mwanga.

17. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just to bring everyone up to speed on our international slots:

9 slots total

Using an international slot:
    Brown
    Calderon
    Griffiths
    Mera
    Rivero
    Sanchez
    Torres

Not yet using an international slot, but will:
    Eloundou (doesn't count until he's officially added to first-team roster)

Green card/gained citizenship:
    Castrillon
    Harris
    Mwanga
    O'Neill
    Smith
    Thomas

(everyone else is American from birth)

So we have 1 open slot going into next year before roster changes. Safe bet Griffiths is gone so make it 2.

Also remember that at the end of next season there will be an expansion draft for one (NYCFC), possibly 2 (Orlando) clubs. In the past teams have been required to protect at least 3 internationals, much to many Rapids fans consternation last time. This time around I don't think it will be nearly as hard unless there's a lot more green cards given out in the next 12 months (Brown, Rivero, and Torres meet the minimum).

BYLRPhil and Totoro repped this.
  18. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Holy moly, we need the "Offseason thread" created for this ;)

JasonMa repped this.
  19. Soaker888

Soaker888 Member+

Feb 21, 2012
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    #219 Soaker888, Oct 25, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2013

Mwanga has some skill, as I've seen demonstrated occasionally in first team play but more than a couple of times in reserve play. The one thing he seems to lack is tenacity. His game requires more urgency and I have not seen him improve that aspect since coming to the Rapids. My friend who lives in Portland and is a big Timbers fan specifically stated that he believes Porter let Mwanga go because of his pace of play, not hard and fast enough. Not sure if he can, or is willing to change that.

Edit: I agree with COMTNGuy's last comment.

onefineesq and m vann repped this.
  20. BYLRPhil

BYLRPhil Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Random question; what languages does he speak? I looked it up and the official languages of Cameroon are French and English, has anyone heard him speak English? Official languages in Africa don't count for much. I'm just curious if his interviews are being translated (like Torres and Sanchez) or if he's truly able to speak for himself.

21. Soaker888

Soaker888 Member+

Feb 21, 2012
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Edited: See Jason's post below.

22. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Multiple tweets yesterday that Mwanga was serving as his translator from French to English.

Soaker888 repped this.
  23. Rod1916

Rod1916 Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    He must speak french, they said that Mwanga was translating for him.

It would be interesting if Mwanga is pushed with him coming and ends up helping both players....

rod.

24. BYLRPhil

BYLRPhil Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would be nice. I think an in-form Mwanga is a helpful addition to the team.

At least he speaks a European language. He can learn English as he goes, and there are enough French speakers in the US to accommodate him.

25. DavidJames

DavidJames Member+

May 11, 2003
    Longmont
    How gracious of you.