News: Rapids land Cameroonian in lottery

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by WJMarx, Jan 25, 2013.

1. wormhole

wormhole Member

Mar 25, 2009
    Westminster, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hinchey also said it was the Rapids' choice to hold on to Eloundou's rights with the hope of getting him down the road. The implication was the team could get the lottery spot back (or compensation) from the league if they chose to let Eloundou go.

But, why the Rapids, and not the MLS, are trying to resolve the transfer mess makes no sense.

MrPerfectNot and JasonMa repped this.
  2. spot

spot Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Centennial
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Every time I see this thread two thoughts come to mind. First, is what a train wreck international transfers are for the Rapids. Second, I don't even know if this kid is any good. Yet, this thread seems to exist in a space where Elondou represents a huge mis opportunity.

JasonMa repped this.
  3. MrPerfectNot

MrPerfectNot Member+

Jul 9, 2011
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The grass is always greener....of course, in this case, the fence appears to have us rather stymied, so all we are doing is imagining - our minds magically create this super player who is THE gem / piece / addition the Rapids have been looking for that will astoundingly take the team through to the Cup, through the Champion's League and onto eternal glory....

Or maybe not.

4. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd be interested to know when MLS gave them that option and what compensation, if any, was offered for giving up his rights. Did we have the option to get into the Doyle lottery (or even get Doyle) by giving up Eloundou?

5. COYP

COYP Member

Aug 5, 2010
    Denver
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That seems like a pretty fair result if true. I agree the lack of involvement from MLS seems frustrating but I'm not clear who is doing what. Most reporting is from Bianchi or the Denver Post. The get info directly from Rapids and I'm sure haven't even asked MLS for info. That may skew the info to seem like the Rapids are the only ones doing anything. From the reporting I've seen I can't take that as fact.

wormhole repped this.
  6. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    No 'schmear', just the bagel.

7. fischerw

fischerw Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    Joplin, MO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The single worst word in the English language or any language. Seriously. It's like fingernails on chalkboard to me.

Hunt998, savelints8 and DavidJames repped this.
  8. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    Meant only to be spoken, written it is deplorable and also absent the requisite nuance of the 'hiss' in the schm.

jayd8888 and MrPerfectNot repped this.
  9. wormhole

wormhole Member

Mar 25, 2009
    Westminster, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My bad. Looks like I generated some misunderstanding here...

Hinchey said the Rapids think Eloundou is worth the talent and they've held on to the rights because they think he is a future play. The MLS signed him as a player and the Rapids own him.
    The direct conclusion is the MLS isn't granting any concessions because the Rapids haven't let their claim go. The implication I made is the Rapids could gain compensation if they relinquished their right to Eloundou.

Actually, the Rapids' position shows a bit of savvy thanks to recent experience. Assuming another team signs this player, the Rapids would end up being the 3rd party claiming ownership. Sound familiar? ;)

10. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, only if FIFA backs up their claim, which apparently they've failed to do up to this point.

11. wormhole

wormhole Member

Mar 25, 2009
    Westminster, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Point is the RFO's position actually makes sense in this case. Even if everyone else is acting crazy.

JasonMa repped this.
  12. crazyjon85

crazyjon85 Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's unexpected shocking news.

m vann, COMtnGuy, jayd8888 and 1 other person repped this.
  14. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Hilarious photo, looks like they caught him walking down the hall for a bucket of ice:

[​IMG]

22SteveD and COMtnGuy repped this.
  15. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    BYLRPhil, jayd8888 and Soaker888 repped this.
  16. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    And no tweets from Hinchey telling us to watch the Cameroonian National Team :) It's just not he same without all the Torres-esque angst.

On a slightly more serious note, does this mean during the off-season the Rapids will focus on finding depth for the back line?

17. Soaker888

Soaker888 Member+

Feb 21, 2012
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Funny. After the initial issues with him, then the Torres back 'n forth, looks like the FO just waited until he was actually here to utter a word about it.

jdub3379, BYLRPhil and JasonMa repped this.
  18. Soaker888

Soaker888 Member+

Feb 21, 2012
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Calderon, Mera, Wallace, Griffiths, Kindle....anyone else work as current depth on D?

COMtnGuy repped this.
  19. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    And that's probably for the better. I'm shocked! I would have bet against it ever happening.

20. W.J. Marx

W.J. Marx Member

Apr 5, 1999
    Boulder, Colorado
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    CB may be solid with Moor, O'Neill, Calderon & Mera. Depth needed at both Fb spots. With all of the new talent & young talent Pareja must feel like the bird that swallowed the canary.

For his persistence and eventual success Bravo deserves a really big "Good on ya"!!!

2014 & beyond should be exciting seasons.

21. BigBrasky

BigBrasky Member

Jan 28, 2013
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Had to creep on his FB a little bit. He was making posts near VA for the last couple of days. Had I checked on that (instead of forgetting about him...) earlier I would have had the scoop! Dangit!

Seriously can't believe he is here. That picture is suspect though...I'm going to need a picture of him and Pareja shaking hands or something.

22. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just WOW, what a great season this has been.

Anyone know if it's still a straight transfer and we or MLS own his rights? (I only skimmed article and didn't see any mention)

23. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Knock me over with a feather, Bravo earned a "Good on ya"!!

The roster has come a long way from relying on Wells, Amarikwa and Palguta as subs. Good on ya to all involved!

24. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Coincidence that Thomas was granted his green card the same week Eloudou arrives?? I think not. Charles may not be eligible until next season but Thomas having his G.C. opens up an international spot. Obviously, the Rapids have been working extremely really hard on this. Kudos to the Bravo, Hinchey, and the bunch. I had a sneaky feeling the silence on Eloudou the last month, with all the legal proceedings, was going to produce some good results. I didn't think they were working a cold case. I have no idea why I was so positive given the odds were probably low. I was probably just feeding off the positive energy from the season. Nonetheless, if this kid is as good as advertised, then he's just another key piece to the ever growing youth movement. I like the direction the Rapids are heading. I haven't been able to say that for a while.

W.J. Marx repped this.
  25. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting. I had completely forgotten about him.

As for off-season depth, I would personally look at acquiring a right back, a left-sided midfielder, a goalkeeper, a defensive-minded midfielder, and also a target forward that not as fat and lazy as Buddle...and hopefully more talented as well.