News: Rapids land Cameroonian in lottery

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by WJMarx, Jan 25, 2013.

1. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not going to look up statment but I re-call it was along the meek lines of we will ask US soccer to request FIFA to look into it but Cameroon FA must be willing to provide info...

Found it above in #Totoro's post:
    Why is this one dragging out more than Rivero’s situation?
    I can’t answer. Honestly I can’t answer that. Unless you’re actually in Cameroon, and involved in it, it’s tough to give all the specifics. We’re given the information through the help of his agent, through the help of his club. And really it’s up to the Cameroon FA to respond to the U.S. Soccer request. And then it’s up to the league to request from the federation that stuff to FIFA, and then for FIFA to respond.

It’s exactly how the process worked with Martin. We don’t control, we can’t control, those requests. We ask. Then it’s up to U.S. Soccer. They have their own protocol to respond to it. Then the next step is to get a ruling from FIFA.

2. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So the Rapids have done exactly what they did with Rivero, which is as much as they can do according to Bravo. Hard to call that "weak" unless Bravo is lying about what all they can do.

3. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's also Bianchi's follow-up:

I just have a hard time saying the team is lax on this one. Feels like looking for a reason to take shots because of the general reputation of the FO.

tonhtubra repped this.
  4. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Corruption in a third world county? In Africa you say?

I say old chap, these are quite strange times we live in.

W.J. Marx, COMtnGuy and BYLRPhil repped this.
  5. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe I didn't write it well enough but you are putting this concept into it. Never was saying Rapids FO is at fault, MLS may have some but I sure they will learn from all of this.

I'm saying the tone of communications is completely different between Rivero and Eloundou signifying at least to me that its unlikely he will be coming to the MLS. As I and you have pointed out, the outcome rely's on Cameroon FA and FIFA only and I think we all know what that will mean with Quinn's helpful post.

Even with all the positive communication on Rivero rights, we still ended up getting him on loan (with rights to buy) instead of the free transfer that was original deal that was announced.

6. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    If you guys remember, MLS had to threaten legal action to get Jose Moreno after he signed a contract, as well.

As far as I can see, the Rapids are blameless in this, but MLS and USSF have to fight tooth and nail or else they will get a reputation as doormats for these sort of things and they will happen more frequently, not less.

This is actually a big, big test case for the league, since they've stated they want to move in the international Youth DP direction more often, and that's where you have to be prepared to fight for players who are any good at all.

If a signature on an MLS contract is deemed to mean nothing in this case, it's a slippery slope.

7. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, that's why I think the league isn't going to let this go, even if the Rapids say "Nope, we can't wait to fill that roster spot" and release their intra-league claim on him.

(And I expect the Rapids to wait it out to the summer transfer window anyway)

8. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There has been a serious lack of reporting on this but my understanding of the limited news out there is Cameroon FA is saying he never had the "ability" to sign an MLS contract, due to local clubs owning his rights, factual or not (Which must be compensated first in order for him to sign).

Don't see FIFA stepping in an calling out Cameroon/ local clubs of "lying" about these claims even if the proverbial envelop is not even passed.

So the MLS will have to pay them off to get him here, which of course will be kept on the down low, or they will pass.

9. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The third option, which seems to be what MLS believes, is that he had a release clause in his yout contract with the Cameroonian clubs when presented with a full professional offer.

Its not a coincidence that MLS presented him with the contract within days of his 18th birthday, as 18 is the age FIFA mandates for players to be able to sign a professional contract outside of their home country.

Again, MLS owners are some of the best businessmen in the world. I have no doubt that they knew of Eloundou's contract status and what they needed to do to get him legally signed. The question mark is how much corruption needs to be overcome at FIFA and in Cameroon.

BYLRPhil repped this.
  10. 22SteveD

22SteveD Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It will be interesting, but Africa has been operating like this for years, Europe chooses to pay to get these things resolved. MLS pinches their pennies.

Only thing I think you missed is compensation is required by FIFA for any player transfer where he was "paid compensation that exceeded said players expenses" by a club after the age of 12.

To me this is all a ploy to get MLS to fork over some money, business as usually in Africa.

COMtnGuy repped this.
  11. BYLRPhil

BYLRPhil Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. W.J. Marx

W.J. Marx Member

Apr 5, 1999
    Boulder, Colorado
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Au contraire! It states that Rapids' & MLS' case has actually been filed with FIFA and neither organization is backing down. Also, Rapids interest has not waned and will extend beyond "window" date.

To me, this is the 1st good news since I misguidedly started this thread!

crazyjon85 repped this.
  13. savelints8

savelints8 Member

Jun 5, 2007
    Jun 5, 2007
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    [nitpicking] [aviation geek]
    Did he really mean "B-10?"
    The B-10 was active in the 1930s....maybe he was referring to the B-1 or B-2, both of which are active today.
    Or....considering KSE's stinginess, maybe a dilapidated B-10 was the only aircraft the Rapids had available to deliver the Eloundou files to FIFA. :D

[/nitpicking] [/aviation geek]
    ----
    In all seriousness, I'm kind of optimistic this deal will go through. Considering the cautiousness with which MLS generally does things, I assume they crossed all the Ts and dotted all the Is they needed to.

14. crazyjon85

crazyjon85 Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i was gonna say the same thing hahaha

15. savelints8

savelints8 Member

Jun 5, 2007
    Jun 5, 2007
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    And I just saw all the B-10 talk in the catch-all thread....

Glad we're all on the same page with respect to the Rapids' nonexistent bomber fleet :D

16. Jimmydinho

Jimmydinho Member+

Jul 6, 2007
    Denver, CO, USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    pardon my dust, been out of town for over a week. I thought there was another thread about Eloundou and that there had been some more recent "news" regarding his transfer. No news I assume?

17. crazyjon85

crazyjon85 Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    we should hear something in the next week or so...(Not confirmed but my gut, based on the fact that within 2-3 weeks of submitting the paperwork RE: Rivero we got resolution)

18. 22SteveD

22SteveD Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Different situation from that and I believe has already been 3 weeks since our side (MLS, Rapids, usasoccer) turned in our piece.

19. crazyjon85

crazyjon85 Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    then we should hear something shortly... doesnt the window reopen thursday? Maybe they are just waiting for that

20. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only for Turkey, Denmark, and the Netherlands. The U.S. opens on July 9th.

21. COYP

COYP Member

Aug 5, 2010
    Denver
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you are filing for an exception I thought the window doesn't matter. That being said I don't see this happening any time soon

COMtnGuy repped this.
  22. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It doesn't AIUI.

23. crazyjon85

crazyjon85 Member