News: Rapids land Cameroonian in lottery

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by WJMarx, Jan 25, 2013.

1. WJMarx

WJMarx BigSoccer Supporter

May 5, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Independiente

Independiente Member

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Mar 15, 2005
    Littleton, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder how well Eloundou will adjust to the team and Colorado? I'm assuming he speaks French, so hopefully he will be able to communicate decently with some of the guys. He looks like a great young soccer player, that's for sure.

3. commercecity

commercecity Member

Oct 8, 2007
    Commerce City, CO
    I was wondering this too. He's 18 and he's moving here from home into a very different culture. He's got a lot more on his plate than making the 11. I hope the team takes care of him off the field as well.

4. savelints8

savelints8 Member

Jun 5, 2007
    Jun 5, 2007
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Seems like a nice acquisition to me. Like others have said, I'm liking the way the team is shaping up balance-wise, between youth and experience.

Question, though: what led to the Rapids having almost a 75% chance at getting him? From reading the article, I understand why Eloundou went into a lottery, I'm just wondering why only these three teams were entered, and why we were most likely to land him.

fknbuflobo repped this.
  5. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't know why only 3 teams entered, each team makes its own choice to enter or not. The percentage chances are based on a weighted formula on last year's standings. DC and FSL finished with 58 and 57 compared to Colorado's 37 points.

savelints8 repped this.
  6. Bridgeman

Bridgeman Member

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Feb 25, 2006
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pretty sure he'll be just fine. He just won the lottery. Let's see....Cameroon or USA. Tough choice. He'll parlez vous just fine for awhile as he learns the MLS and English (probably). Good luck to him just the same.

7. WJMarx

May 5, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Many Africans speak English as a 1st or 2nd language. It is possible that he speaks some English. Moreover, he spent 2 years in Milan so he may speak Italian as well. Contrary to USA immigrant culture, immigrants within Europe usually speak the countries' language. He will probably be aggressive and grateful to learn or to improve his English.

8. tonhtubra

tonhtubra Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    Fort Collins, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you are confusing him with Machael David. I haven't seen anything about Eloundou spending time in Milan.

9. WJMarx

May 5, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right you are!

10. dismemberment

dismemberment Member

Dec 10, 2007
    colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    not bad. i smell a few trades brewing for cash and a inter spot.

Soaker888 repped this.
  11. BeTheRed

BeTheRed Member

May 16, 2006
    This thread should have been titled RAPIDS WIN A LOTTERY!!! What's going to happen next, Rapids will host an Open Cup game at home??

Jasonma repped this.
  12. BeTheRed

BeTheRed Member

May 16, 2006
    So the Rapids actually WON A LOTTERY. Wow, things are different now. What's next - Rapids will host an Open Cup game??

Totoro repped this.
  13. 30Something

30Something Member

Jun 3, 2004
    5280 Feet
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can say that again!

BYLRPhil repped this.
  14. Soaker888

Soaker888 Member+

Feb 21, 2012
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    To answer this question that several have posed above....from Wikipedia (FWIW):

"Cameroon is home to 230 languages. These include 55 Afro-Asiatic languages, two Nilo-Saharan languages, 4 Ubangian languages, and 169 Niger–Congo languages. This latter group is divided into one Senegambian language (Fulfulde), 28 Adamawa languages, and 142 Benue–Congo languages (130 of which are Bantu languages).[2]
    English and French are official languages, a heritage of Cameroon's colonial past as both a colony of the United Kingdom and France from 1916 to 1960. The nation strives toward bilingualism, but in reality, very few Cameroonians speak both French and English, and many speak neither[citation needed]. The government has established several bilingual schools in an effort to teach both languages more evenly.[3] Cameroon is a member of both the Commonwealth of Nations and La Francophonie."

Sounds like he may have plenty of Enlgish to get started.

15. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    Or none at all depending on how you read what's at Wiki: "... and many speak neither (citation needed)." More importantly though, I want to hear "You banged one in!" in Ubangian.

BYLRPhil repped this.
  16. Soaker888

Soaker888 Member+

Feb 21, 2012
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Haven't heard much lately on Eloundou. Any rumors on arrival date?

17. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His game against Tanzania is Wednesday, so I'm guessing the end of next week at the earliest.

Soaker888 repped this.
  18. Buffbollocks

Buffbollocks Member

Aug 16, 2008
    Denver
    Harbottle is expected in Denver this upcoming week (Feb 3rd), and Eloundo will be here Friday the 8th, or next Saturday.

Stuart95 repped this.
  19. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man I hope they come in match fit, becuase not likely they are going to get a lot of minutes to show they deserve to be in XI. Although I thought Eloundo was never expected to play much before summer this year, really just hear to prove he belongs for Transfer to get worked out.

20. WJMarx

May 5, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I am not mistaken, Eloundou's arrival has been delayed due to African Nations Cup duty. If so, he should arrive game fit spared an injury.

21. Buffbollocks

Buffbollocks Member

Aug 16, 2008
    Denver
    Cameroon didn't qualify. They are playing a friendly on Wednesday against Tanzania and so Eloundou should be in Denver by the weekend, from what I've been told.

Jasonma repped this.
  22. Waterboy14

Waterboy14 Member

Mar 29, 2006
    I've had a little trouble logging in, so my apologies about the tardiness of this response. Can someone please explain why we had to enter a lottery to get Omar Cummings back on the team?

23. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Maybe it's a Rivero-type situation with the loan. Or perhaps the visa-process has gone awry and it's been discovered he's really 23.

COMtnGuy repped this.