Rapids @ KC - 2nd Playoff Leg: Pre/In-Game/Post [R]

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by TrooperBari, Nov 6, 2003.

1. bigdush

bigdush New Member

Jul 22, 2003
    Parker, CO
    Train wreck was probably a little harsh on my part.
    Carrieri is a striker. He's built for it physically and wired for it mentally. I don't think his mentality is that of an outside midfielder. I don't think that he could mentally stay with his mark defensively for an entire match. I also think that carrieri would run himself out of a game fairly quickly playing as an outside midfielder.

Hendo is a winger by trade, he's played it forever. He knows better when to stay wide, when to make his runs through the middle, when to hold an attack, etc.

The first home match of season Hanki seemed to want him to stay wider, not sure if he was supposed to be a midfielder or a wide striker (hard to tell with hanki). In my opinion, in that game chris looked lost.

I like carrieri up front, especially late in a game.

2. cljco

cljco New Member

Jul 8, 2003
    Denver
    If you had to take out Henderson and have both ZiZi and CC in the game, I'd definatley leave CC up front and put ZiZi at the mid-wing. He takes far more shots (and finishes) from outside the box, he's a great transition to offense player because with his size he can muscle the ball up the sidelines and make the turn into the middle, and he's just a more flexible player than CC when it comes to switching positions.

I've never hid the fact that I'm a ZiZi fan. I just don't think, with his injury, that he's had the time this season to really stake his claim on a particular position. I'd like to see him get more playing time tomorrow, regardless of it's at forward or mid.

3. usasoc

usasoc New Member

Aug 21, 2003
    like carrieri up front, especially late in a game.

why? Lately , he hasn't even had any shots as a forward that is his job...

4. chazz

chazz New Member

May 28, 2003

Because forwards need to be played the ball-----I dont think he gets the looks or thru balls he got last year thru the middle--It always Spencer 1st even if CC is making a better run at play...

as much as I hate Mathis, I will quote him, "forwards are receivers, not QBs, they need the ball played thru and they need a good attacking midfield...

5. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    CC stunk last Tuesday. The fast field killed his already pathetic touch.

I'm hoping the KC field is in better condition than Invesco as that will play to the Rapids' advantage, as it should help their free-flowing style played largely on the ground.

I'm stickin' with my prediction: 3-1 Rapids. :)

6. Ingmar4Rapids

Ingmar4Rapids Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Denver, Colorado
    I don't know completely why CC is off his game some but you're right about that first touch. The ball shot off him like he had stone legs.

I think that the earlier in the season estimates were right about CC. He thrived on Valdorama's through balls. He repeatedly said that himself in interviews. Our midfield isn't built that way now, obviously, so his game of getting a nice through ball and charging the goal with guts and hustle has been hampered.

As chazz stated, CC is a receiver and he doesn't have anyone who can get him the ball the way he is best at getting it. That doesn't mean he is wasted or that our midfield is failing. I just don't think his game at present state is the best fit for our attack, such as it is.

7. gschroeder

gschroeder Member

Jun 18, 2001
    Thornton, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I don't think you can count a guy out just because he isn't up to form lately. If that were the case Spencer could have been benched at one point and look where that would have gotten us. That would be like benching garlick for no aparent reason.... uh wait...better watch out CC.

8. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2001
    Jakarta
    Mooch-ass grassy-ass for the offer, GB, but I'll be on the road at kickoff.

9. feuerfex

feuerfex Member

Apr 21, 2001
    So, is there anyone alive out there? Preferably who is watching the match and can let us poor shut-ins know what's happening.

10. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    0-0. 26th minute. Big save by cannon

11. dred

dred Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    Land of Champions
    min 35' Talley nearly redirects a loose ball into KC's net, but Meola reverses direction in time to swipe the ball off the line.

In general, Colorado is doing more with the ball but not generating any more danger than KC. KC playing like a road team.

12. dred

dred Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    Land of Champions
    min 43' Holy cow! Mad mad mad scramble in front of the Rapids goal. KC whacking away in the six, ball ends up hitting both posts, Beckerman does a split to flick the ball off the line (ball was either a centimeter over the line or just on the line), Borchers blocks a point-blank shot. Amazing.

13. dred

dred Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    Land of Champions
    45'+ beautiful sidewinder bike by Simuntenkov beats Cannon to the far post. 2-1 KC

14. dred

dred Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    Land of Champions
    52' Rapids goal waved off. Probably a bad call. Spencer goes over the back to head in front of goal, Gutierrez tries to shield the ball for Meola instead of making a simple clear. Hart gets a foot in and centers the ball for a Spencer goal, waved off for fouling Gutierrez.

15. dred

dred Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    Land of Champions
    63' Goal KC.

Poor clearance by Borchers starts the sequence.

16. dred

dred Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    Land of Champions
    72' Carrieri header parried off the bar by Meola, rebound evades Rapids. Appears to not be their night.

17. dred

dred Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    Land of Champions
    74' Zotinca blows a point blank volley over the bar. Harder to miss than make.

18. dred

dred Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    Land of Champions
    93' Carrieri hits the post. So it goes.

Whistle blows, KC advances 3-1 on aggregate.

19. GutBomb

GutBomb Red Card

Aug 28, 2003
    Outside Boston
    i hope hankinson gets the boot for toying with the lineup. Not just tonight but messing with it all season. wasting our draft pics on people like joe cannon when we have a perfectly good goalkeeper and a decent backup. getting daryll powell, who is perpetually injured. for his (it seems to me) non-motivation policy. for always playing that lousy beckerman. i would much rather have zizi play in that position than up top and leave CC up top.

why the hell start zizi tonight? he had no hussle all night long! For most of the match he hung out in midfield and stood there or walked around in circles! and as for CC. he has not been scoring goals lately but that doesn't mean he is in a bit of bad form. he has been great at getting the ball in the box for spenny. and in that tone, i would like to say henderson looked great tonight doing just that. let's hope this is not his last game.

I liked the way most of the rapids played tonight. Zizi left much to be desired, and i can't help but think garlick would have handled those goals a bit better. sure cannon had a couple good saves, but nothing garlick couldn't have also saved.

I'm very disappointed with the 3-1 result, but I just hope things get fixed in the management before next season.

20. sweeper33

sweeper33 Member

Jul 24, 2000
    I'd never be confused for a Rapids fan BUT having Spencer's goal called off was BULLSH!T. Hart's left foot dragged on the turf and never made contact with either Gutierrez or Meola. They just fell over themselves.

21. Northcal19

Northcal19 New Member

Feb 18, 2000
    Celtic Tavern LODO (
    It was a very entertaining game, but just wasn't happening for the Rapids. What could of been a number of times was just not falling for the Raps.

A side note; KC looked organized, well coached and smart on the ball. We looked like a team in dissaray. The commentators said Garlick did not EVEN make the trip to KC. Hard to believe Hanki could survive this debacle.

22. spot

spot Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Centennial
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Zizi wasn't playing forward despite the announced lineup. For most of the match he was shadowing Preki, in midfield. I guess KC can win without any Preki magic.

This is what I don't like about Hankinson. He's more of a basketball coach than a soccer coach. He tinkers with lineups, and lets the other team dictate tactics. This must be a result of coaching in college. He spends too much time worrying about matchups. I'd be happier if Zizi had been on the bench, but must admit I thought he played better than in the other games I've seen him in.

Next year Zizi should be a defender.

23. gschroeder

gschroeder Member

Jun 18, 2001
    Thornton, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Whats the over/under on Hanki Watch 2003?

I'm once again being optimistic like always and I'm going to say Monday the decision will be made.

24. Mad_Bishop

Mad_Bishop Member

Oct 11, 2000
    Columbia, MO
    Really, the game should have been 3-1 for KC, and could have easily been 3-3 if Rapids had made the most of their chances, and Tony hadn't been in 2000 form.

Great seeing Rapid's fans in KC, but I still have a question

[good nature ribbing]
    Can you hear the Rapids sing?
    No-oh, No-Oh!
    Can you hear the Rapids sing?
    I can't hear a fVcking thing!
    [/good natured ribbing]

25. Crazy_Yank

Crazy_Yank Member

Jan 8, 2001
    Matamoros, Mexico
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Garlick would have saved the first goal. I'm not saying it was Cannon's fault. It was piss poor defense by the Rapids, but Cannon should have done better. A match tested in form Cannon probably would have saved it. I can't believe what a moron your coach is.