Rapids-KC 1st Playoff Leg: Pre/In-game/Post [R]

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by TrooperBari, Nov 3, 2003.

1. Ringer

Ringer Member

Aug 7, 1999
    Littleton, CO
    Lockdown Preki and Klein...

Get back to their stingy defense...

Solve Meola...

Simple.

Scoring two goals like all the other playoff winners wouldn't suck either.

2. DavidJames

DavidJames Member+

May 11, 2003
    Longmont
    KC starts off the game like a chess match, only their players movement is slower and more deliberate. KC is playing for a tie and possible quick counter. Garlick is beaten early and often. Fortunately for the Rapids, Garlick is on the bench and the KC "just kick the damn ball out" defensive strategy results in a scoreless first half (and zero saves for Garlick).

Zizi replaces CC in the 75th minute. A beautiful combination play between Zizi, Spencer and Henderson, which includes a flick, back heal and laser like shot, results in a Meaola goal kick and ultimately KC's first trip into the Rapids 18 of the half. Fraser is caught out of position (he was still in a half time line waiting for a cup of hot chocolate), fortunately, Borchers was able to cover and head the still bouncing Meola kick off the side post and into the arms of Cannon.

KC see's it's second opportunity to score when Deltha O'Neil fails to control a long Meola punt and the ball skids across the blue line towards the goal. Only an acrobatic kick save prevents disaster.

The crowd is sent home delirious when in the 97th minute, John Spencer climbs Zizi's back and leaps high to head a low trajectory Meola goal kick off the cross bar and into the back of the net for the game winner and a well deserved 1-0 Rapids win.

3. bigdush

bigdush New Member

Jul 22, 2003
    Parker, CO
    4-nil

KC spanks the Rapids

Candy hangover leads to pessimism.

4. chazz

chazz New Member

May 28, 2003
    We WIN they Lose... Enjoy the match fellas!

5. Sempuukyaku

Sempuukyaku Member+

Apr 30, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nah.

Just because Cannon hasn't played much this year doesn't mean he won't be ready tonight.

3-nil rapids.

6. Soccerholic

Soccerholic New Member

Mar 6, 2001
    Mile High
    We all know the bad news: The Rapids haven't won a game since mid-September (against KC, by the way), and their defense, which was so solid in the middle of the season, has looked flimsy in recent games.

The good news is that the Rapids are playing the Wizards, a team that they have had done well against the past few years. Note that the game that started the mid-season turnaround was the July 4 game against KC.

The playoff format is supposed to favor the home team in the second game, mostly if an overtime is needed. Having seen a fair amount of these home and home series in the Champions League over that past several years, I really don't think it's an advantage to be the home team second. If the home team in the first game can win, especially by more than one goal, it places enormous pressure on the other team (witness San Jose). And I think it's really important for the Rapids to break their recent form, play to the level that they did in the middle of the season, and get some confidence back. I would much rather be the home team in the first game with the way things have been going for the Rapids recently.

Since the Rapids have had a week and a half to rest and regroup from the debacle in Dallas, I think that the good news will outweigh the bad.

7. GoRapids

GoRapids Member

Sep 1, 1999
    Boulder CO
    On my way over ... we're going to smoke those mofos!!!

Players are out to prove something. Something to themselves, something to the league, something to KC, something to the coach, something to the fans.

They are going to be fast ... and they are going to play hard.

Pablo will probably get tossed for a second yellow .... and CC will throw either an elbow or a fit after a hard battle with a KC defender.

Meola is going to be freaking out at everyone ... and that will include a 10 year old ball boy.

Chunger is going to knock one of his classic "Holy Crap" long ones in ...

And Spennie is going to get one late while KC is pushing to even things up.

At least that's what my Eight Ball tells me!

8. Rapids/Arsenal Fan

Mar 8, 2001
    Denver, CO USA
    LOL

Don't forget him getting repeatedly burned by long passes all over the field.

But I digress....2-0 Rapids. One from Spenny and one from Chung, assuming Sam will be in the house tonight.

9. Northcal19

Northcal19 New Member

Feb 18, 2000
    Celtic Tavern LODO (
    So I can't go to the game for various reasons, then walking from the car to my house, I miss minute 3 and Wolde Harris puts in a goal. This combined with Joe Cannon in goal may cost Hanki his job. Don't let the door hit ya.

10. Treetaliano

Treetaliano Member

Jun 29, 2002
    Charlotte, NC
    Lasted 3 minutes...announcers are ripping ex-Smurf Cannon...

this is being streamed live here http://www.knrcradio.com/

click listen on the top right

11. Northcal19

Northcal19 New Member

Feb 18, 2000
    Celtic Tavern LODO (
    I got it on 1150 AM, "The Fan". Sounds like sh!t. We are losing at home, in the playoffs, to some guy from the rec leagues (Zitenka?), a 40 year old guy, and Carry Talley. It took only 3 minutes to give up a goal, by our new keeper, who hadn't played since the flood. Oh, BTW, the game isn't televised. Is this the new Walmart ownership at work?

Its 16 minutes in and KC is now stalling for time? What a sh1t game. Neither of these teams deserve to be on TV.

12. Northcal19

Northcal19 New Member

Feb 18, 2000
    Celtic Tavern LODO (
    33 minutes in, Bunker Bob has 12 guys in his own box. From the sounds of it, tha Raps aren't really breaking them down either. C'mon you Raps. (At lest we have a 'keeper contreversy.)

13. Northcal19

Northcal19 New Member

Feb 18, 2000
    Celtic Tavern LODO (
    Carrieri in...but the final pass doesn't go. 40 minutes in and things aren't going so well. Might need ZIZI in the second half. Someone up top who might put a head on something. I'm sure Hanki has it figured out....Spenny get a shot off, but it is over the top.

14. Northcal19

Northcal19 New Member

Feb 18, 2000
    Celtic Tavern LODO (
    2 minutes of stoppage time. Danger Bob's country bunker. More players in the box than fans in attendance. Oy. What a game.

15. Northcal19

Northcal19 New Member

Feb 18, 2000
    Celtic Tavern LODO (
    HT. 1-0 Wiz.

16. Northcal19

Northcal19 New Member

Feb 18, 2000
    Celtic Tavern LODO (
    Hey Norcal, thanks for the PBP.

17. Northcal19

Northcal19 New Member

Feb 18, 2000
    Celtic Tavern LODO (
    No problem. I believe I will have antoher beer now.

18. hipityhop

hipityhop Member

New Mexico United
    United States
    Jan 10, 1999
    Mission TX
    Club:
    SønderjyskE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love them wizards, so 1-0 sounds good to me....
    bunker down or NOT!

19. Northcal19

Northcal19 New Member

Feb 18, 2000
    Celtic Tavern LODO (
    Careful what ya wish for.

20. Northcal19

Northcal19 New Member

Feb 18, 2000
    Celtic Tavern LODO (
    2nd half begins. Scott Garlick in for Wes Hart. Just kidding. Matt Crawford in for Wes Hart. Potato-pahtahto.

21. Northcal19

Northcal19 New Member

Feb 18, 2000
    Celtic Tavern LODO (
    Official attendance: 6400. Must be including the cockroaches.

Goal by Borchers!!! Header on a cross from Beckerman. Thor!!! Eat me Bunker Bob, the wiz might have to play now. 53rd minute, first goal ever since u-12 by Nat.

22. spot

spot Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Centennial
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey Norcal,

Thanks for the PBP.

23. spot

spot Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Centennial
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any background on the goal?

24. Northcal19

Northcal19 New Member

Feb 18, 2000
    Celtic Tavern LODO (
    De nada.

Beckerman with a rocket; Meola save. Shot by KC on the coounter. Joe Cannon with a save.

Still 1-1.