Rapids Interested in Yank Coming Home?

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by bigdush, May 28, 2004.

1. bigdush

bigdush New Member

Jul 22, 2003
    Parker, CO
    I know it's from another bigsoccer thread, but what the hell. With no television this weekend we might as talk about something other than, what if we were in the east and what if kroenke loved us the most and .........................

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=114343

2. spot

spot Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Centennial
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmm... Reviews aren't exactly glowing. Sounds a fair bit like Joey DiMari-something-o.

If we're gonna grab a player coming home then I'd think Thorrington would be an interesting option.

3. GoRapids

GoRapids Member

Sep 1, 1999
    Boulder CO
    Yeah ... not great reviews ...

who's Thorrington?

4. spot

spot Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Centennial
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.sams-army.com/index.php?Mlist=player&Pid=116

US kid who's been banging around the lower divisions in England for several years. He's been banged up a lot. Supposed to be a good player though.

5. uzchickenz

uzchickenz New Member

Apr 29, 2004
    Westminster, CO
    Not so sure this would be a good idea, with our history related to oft injured players from foreign leagues........

6. greenie

greenie New Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    Figure if the Rapids have offered this guy anything, it's probably because they can get away with giving him a developmental contract of some sort. Most likely they've expressed interest and just offered him a trial. Otherwise, they'd need to cut a salaried player to make room.

Could be that the German paper misunderstood what was actually an offer from the Rapids Reserve. :)

7. GoRapids

GoRapids Member

Sep 1, 1999
    Boulder CO
    Perhaps Kingsley's job is in jeapordy. From what I've seen last year and this ... it should be.

8. bigdush

bigdush New Member

Jul 22, 2003
    Parker, CO
    No argument here.

9. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
    I was disapointed that Kingsley didn't get more playing time. He impressed me when we first acquired him. Does he not do well at practices?

I sure hope Mr. Hanki and Mr Counce have a clue. I would hate to see us trade 2 or 3 good players for a dud.

10. FC5280

FC5280 Member

Dec 21, 2003
    The following is just a rumor and should not be implied as fact....

Word on the street is that MLS just missed on a bid for Conor Casey who would have come to Colorado during the second transfer window

Again just a rumor I heard from sources I cannot reveal

11. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now that would have been a good move. I read he just signed with another German side, Monchengladbach. I know his mom lives in the Denver area, too bad MLS couldn't get it together. He would have helped our offense.

12. UxSxAxfooty

UxSxAxfooty Member+

Jan 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No way. I believe Conor makes at least $400k in Germany.

He opted for Europe from college, no reason to return to MLS now, especially when he has other options there.

I wouldn't want to take the risk on either Thorrington or Thomas. Kingsely is at least sufficient. I hope he gets some more playing time.

13. greenie

greenie New Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    Casey is pretty tight with Mooch, and frequently trained with the Rapids during the summers while in college.

While it is correct that MLS did look at bringing Casey back to the states, the notion of him coming to Colorado is about as likely as The Wank getting fired within the next few weeks. Yes, Colorado expressed an interest in him, but so did every other team in the league, and right now the Rapids are low on the league's priority when it comes to "big deal" players.

The only thing in Colorado's favor would have been if Casey had stipulated that he'd only play for the Rapids.

14. Tony Cheval

Tony Cheval New Member

Mar 17, 2000
    Colorado
    Which considering that it would most certainly be a 1-2 year 'shop window' deal for Conor, would actually be not unlikely. I'd say he can play in Germany, he just lacks leverage at the moment, looks like he could get loaned down a division again.

15. WornCleats

WornCleats New Member

Sep 8, 2003
    Loveland, CO

Heard Kingsley's been doing fine. Just no place for him right now. He was being groomed for Hendo's spot. Crawford was being groomed for right back. When DLT came on the scene things shifted to incorporate him into the lineup. So, Crawford and DLT keep shifting back and forth on the right side. Looks like Kingsley's bench bound. No reg playing time takes a toll. Too bad how you can get some of the best kids outta college, watch em come in and contribute then sit them on the bench until they disappear. Every MLS team has em.

16. pappekak

pappekak New Member

Feb 13, 2003
    Tralfamadore
    Naw, the Rapids are bringing him in to replace Wank-N-Frank Hank.