Rapids Home Grown/ Youth updates

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by 22SteveD, Dec 14, 2011.

1. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder

COMtnGuy repped this.
  2. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #752 m vann, Aug 21, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2023
    Making some noise on the youth side….

The Rapids have made some big time moves with the Academy / MLS teams. They’ve swooped in and grabbed some top talent around the country for the U15 & U16 MLS Next teams. The managed to get their hands on Maxim Scardo (Strikers FC - San Diego) and Colton Swan (Michigan Jaguars FC). They were the top two scorers in the U16 MLS Next and they’ve been involved with the youth national teams. The rapids beat out LAFC for Scardo’s services. He reportedly has serious European interest. Zack Campagnolo, a highly rated GK and who recently played for the US U16’s, comes over from Orlando City. Miguel Alvarado, from Denver, came to the Rapids in the Spring from Rush (I think) and exploded grabbing several MLS Next honors as well as recent call up to the USYNT. Lastly, Rogelio Garcia is trialing with the Rapids. It’s more like trying to see if Sporting KC will release him. I’m not sure of all the details but SKC blocked his ability to sign with St Louis and were reportedly saying he couldn’t joint any MLS Academy. But he’s here now with the Rapids and serials get ironed out.

3. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Thanks @m vann for the update. It looks like the Rapids are attempting to upgrade the talent in the youth system for development for the first team or to sell to Europe. Given their age could I assume that some of them will soon be with R2?

Rod1916 repped this.
  4. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i would assume so but that’s TBD if some of those above will be with R2. With that said, the talent level has definitely risen in the last 2-3 years. I’ve got kids on my Rapids North RL-ENCL that can’t even get a sniff of the full fledged Rapids ENCL teams let alone MLS Next teams. And my kids are good. Not NCAA D1/2 level but easily D3, NAIA, or JuCo level.

rapidsmarc repped this.
  5. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder

TheWarmBurger, COMtnGuy, jrowe13 and 2 others repped this.
  6. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder

COMtnGuy repped this.
  7. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder

8. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder

COMtnGuy repped this.
  9. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who is going to be the backup on Saturday then?

10. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    Lamine Diack. Man needs some minutes.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

COMtnGuy, rapidsmarc and JasonMa repped this.