Rapids Home Grown/ Youth updates

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by 22SteveD, Dec 14, 2011.

1. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And his father's...

wormhole repped this.
  2. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    COMtnGuy, Stuart95 and JasonMa repped this.
  3. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    "USL Academy contracts with Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC."

So does this mean they are now professional? Or are they still eligible for college?

Either way. it seems that someone(s) in the Rapids organization believes that they need some time at a level higher than the academy to continue to develop.

4. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Players on USL Academy contracts maintain their college eligibility. I’ve coached against Walent, before he was at the Rapids DA. Looks like he’s transitioning to a defender. I watched him boss a midfield as #6/8. Very good player then. I’m assume he’s taken a big leap forward.

JasonMa repped this.
  5. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Last ywar during a season tickets holders event Brian Crookham told me that having academy players playing with the Switchbacks gives the Rapids a chance to asses how close they are to being ready for the first team. And in this case neither Yapi or Walent are giving up college eligibility to get that experience and evaluation.

m vann repped this.
  6. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know the Rapids have also changed their way of handling borderline HG signings as well. For a while their thought process was if a kid goes through the Academy, they go to college, play 4 years, do everything right, put in the effort, and they're still a borderline signing, then they figured the kid had earned a signing and a chance to make it on the first team. That's why we saw a handful of one-and-done HG signings in recent years.

They realized that mentality wasn't helping them or the players. If a player is borderline they are better served going into the draft and either being drafted and having to fight for a MLS roster spot, or not being drafted and trying to improve in the USL. I think seeing guys go to the Springs before they become HG signings is an offshoot of that. It allows them to prove themselves in a professional setting without either the team or the player having hurt any long-term options.

7. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    I also wonder if there is a point at which playing with the Academy team just doesn't help with development.

With the Switchbacks, there is a chance to get professional experience in training and match.

Looking at the Switchbacks roster it looks like they have a lot of players on USL Academy contracts. It's appears it could be hard for all of them to get significant time in matches.

JasonMa repped this.
  8. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
  9. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    One more question/comment concerning player development has to do with the role and purpose of the Switchbacks. Are they a USL side or are they the Rapids II whose role is primarily player development - for the Rapids first team?

I remember this being brought up at some point last season. If I were a Switchbacks fan I'd sure like to know.

10. 30Something

30Something Member

Jun 3, 2004
    5280 Feet
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Switchbacks are a USL side, under completely different ownership from the Rapids.

I don't know this for a fact, but I would assume the Rapids are paying/reimbursing the expenses for all of the players they send to the Switchbacks. The benefit for the Switchbacks is that they receive some good players, with minimal expense, which is critical for a USL team's finances.

11. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Completely different ownership but they seem content to let the Rapids run a lot of soccer operations for them. I know the Rapids have had a lot of input on coaching and training methods down there, and how much time the loaned players get.

Feels more like what they claimed Charlotte was going to be, an independent team that followed the Rapids model for on-field operations.

Rod1916 and COMtnGuy repped this.
  12. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    m vann, Sal Paradise and JasonMa repped this.
  13. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder

COMtnGuy and TheWarmBurger repped this.
  15. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder

COMtnGuy repped this.
  16. jspsam

jspsam Member

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Feb 23, 2019
    Boulder, CO
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Academy player Cam Wilkerson, who previously appeared for the first team in a handful of preseason scrimmages/training sessions, signed his letter of intent with UCLA: https://www.instagram.com/p/CW9IKBdvCMJ/

Stuart95, COMtnGuy and TheWarmBurger repped this.
  17. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Not an update, but something I found interesting about the Rapids academy. On Sunday standing in line for the locker room tour we were chatting with a couple ahead of us who's son is on the Rapids U-15 squad. I didn't realize how much more "professional" things are now.

- Training and online school at DSPG (some of the schooling happens at home)

- Two training sessions a day with school around the training sessions

- No cost to families other than incidentals when traveling and it sounds like they fly to away tourneys.

Also, the parents gave Balboa a very positive review as a coach.

JasonMa repped this.
  18. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can confirm that's true. The club I've coached for years (Westminster), merged with CRYSC to expand the Rapids North footprint, so I've gained a little insight on how things at the very top level of Rapids Youth are operated. The Academy (MLS Next) kids are absolutely well taken care of and it trickles down. The club also absorbs some costs associated with the ENCL teams. Not all but a portion. There are also EDS teams (Elite Development Squads) which are essentially a pool "all-stars" from North, South, Central, Castle Rock, and Ft Collins regions. They train every couple of weeks at a centralized location (soon to be Regis Univ) and play in some elite tournaments. That travel and those fees, to my understanding, are covered and absorbed by the club.

I've long known that the North Region (Northglenn, Thornton, Westminster, Broomfield, Bright, and Arvada) had some rich talent coming through the pipeline and the Rapids are really looking to tap into it. There are a ton of kids from the North now moving to CRYSC ECNL teams. It's crazy at Westminster, I had the club's top teams in the U14 & U15 age group. Both played in P2, the second highest of the CSA divisions. After the merger, Rapids North, will have 5 teams in those age groups. I will have the "4th" teams. The plan is to have my "4th" teams play in P2 this Fall. Crazy that a club's "4th" team will be a division that high. If that happens two North teams will be P1 and two will be in P2. I don't think any Rapids region can say that. Anyways... just a humble brag on the North Region and its talent ;) :D

Rod1916 repped this.
  19. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And yes, everything I've ever heard about Balboa as a coach is that everyone loves playing for him (or having their kids playing for him).

20. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Forgot to mention two other items -

• There are no tryouts, the Rapids scout and then offer a position in the academy

• At the end of the academy there are three potential paths -

1) College scholarship
    2) Rapids 2 contract
    3) First team contract

Rod1916, m vann and JasonMa repped this.
  21. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    1621540215595859968 is not a valid tweet id

SccrDon and TheWarmBurger repped this.
  22. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
  23. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+