PBP: Rapids Home Finale v FCD • Sunday • 5:30 pm

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by unkiemark, Sep 26, 2019.

?

Pick the Result for Sunday's Match

Poll closed Oct 1, 2019.
  1. Rapids go big and win by 2 or more goals

7 vote(s)
    46.7%
  2. Rapids by 1

6 vote(s)
    40.0%
  3. Draw

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 1 point loss

1 vote(s)
    6.7%
  5. Bummer game, Rapids loose by 2 or more

1 vote(s)
    6.7%
  1. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Can't believe this season is coming to and end. Since June or so it's been a complete joy to watch these Rapids. Hopefully the joy will continue regardless of the outcome of the other pertinent matches this weekend.

Looks like Howard may not play.

upload_2019-9-26_20-56-8.png

TheWarmBurger repped this.
  2. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Howard will play, even if its just a late sub.

rapidogordo, TheWarmBurger and Rod1916 repped this.
  3. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thought I saw an Instagram video of him practicing this week.

4. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    I think the rapids go big on Sunday.

1. It’s Tim’s last home game (potentially last ever too, based on his injury status this season) and they’ve been pushing that hard on all social media accounts.

2. It’s against FC Dallas, so there’s always a little extra bite to those games

3. It’s the final home game of the season, so they will also be trying to do well in that game. Our last three final home games have been a 2-0 win against FCD in 2018, a 1-0 win against RSL in 2017, and a 1-1 tie against Houston in 2016. Bassett and Smith scored the goals against Dallas last year.

4. Dallas will probably be going hard in this game as they need a win and a tie to guarantee their playoff hopes. They need a result in this match. Our team matches up well in counter attacking situations, so with Dallas pressing to get a result, we’d have opportunities to strike on the break.

Let’s go Rapids! I’m thinking 3-1 for the good guys.

5. Paranoid Coyote

Paranoid Coyote Member+

Oct 21, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Channeling my inner Eeyore on this game. Things have been too good lately, it's bound to come crashing down.

[​IMG]

Sports Yak and TheWarmBurger repped this.
  6. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Rapids win 2-1. Or 3-2. Howard makes a goal keeping error but we see him off with a win anyway.

7. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    From https://www.coloradorapids.com/tim-howard-farewell#game
    Captain Armband

Get to the stadium early as the first 5,000 fans will get a custom Tim Howard armband presented by TransAmerica! You won’t want to miss this exclusive giveaway.

Jersey Off Our Back

A few lucky fans will take home a Rapids player’s jersey during the annual ‘Jersey Off Our Back’ event! Each player will sign his jersey and hand it off to a fan as part of Fan Appreciation Night.

Lap of Honor

Following the conclusion of the match, the first team will take a lap of honor thanking the fans for their season-long support!

Autograph Alley

Stick around post game for autographs and selfies with your favorite Rapids players!

Merch of the Match

Grab your Tim Howard jersey as part of the Merch of the Match special! Short sleeve jerseys will be on sale for $75 and long sleeve for $85.

8. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Jersey off our back: I've always wondered. Is this something one has to enter to be in a drawing?

9. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    My email from the Rapids says this is Tim Howard's "Farwell game."

Urban dictionary says: "Farwell is similar to farewell except it is used in situations where you are already gone and saying bye from a distance. It's saying to everyone [eff] this place I'm out."

That seems more like Pareja or Hudson than Howard, but it's kind of funny.

10. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The rest of us will just have to watch it on TV . . .

11. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Good question. I don't think there's a drawing.

I realized that it's been since 2016 that I've been to a Rapids game in September (or October). Just couldn't bear watching at the end of the last two seasons. Ended up selling our tickets at a loss numerous times. This September is a whole different feeling.

12. rapidogordo

rapidogordo Member

Mar 12, 2016
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    There is no damn way that Howard doesn't end up on the field.

Even with a broken arm, they will cart him out there and prop him up if only in stoppage time. I reckon he will be playing at least a half.

FCD is HUNGRY right now. So are we. This could get chippy.

I haven't been following them - is Badji still starting / playing?

JasonMa repped this.
  13. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I won the Jersey off their Back promo in 2010, back then you entered online before the game and were informed the day before. Still have my autographed Ian Joyce jersey. :D (Still a better option than the name I originally drew, Ciran O'Brien)

COMtnGuy repped this.
  14. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
    If it makes anyone feel better, there are only 4 posts on the Dallas game thread for this one and they are all extra pessimistic about their chances.

I would love to see a blood bath.

5-0 for the Rapids

Great final home game for Howard

Rod1916 and TheWarmBurger repped this.
  15. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Looks like it's gonna be windy at the match this evening with a Red Flag warning in effect.

17. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Heh, fleas, bubonic plague...

Paranoid Coyote, AlbertCamus and JasonMa repped this.
  18. meanderingjeeper

May 27, 2003
    At my house
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Will be the first year since Bodmer came to my cube and asked if I wanted to go to a Rapids game that I'll have missed a whole season.

I admit, I have had less than zero (not a bad movie, btw) interest in the team with all the problems and issues of recent, and only came to realize that I was back in it when my TV carrier (who I've since dropped & did I mention the soccer options on Fubo?) dropped Altitude & I couldnt watch the games I should have been going to since Hudson heard his who. Wish we were going, but won't work out.

To think back on all the talk of the spoon and historic lows, only to see a chance that we could get in and then start a Blues-ish turn-around? I mean, why not, right?

Have a great time out there tonight! Loud and boisterous! Glad I've got my radio, radio, radio, radio......

Go Rapids!

COMtnGuy, JasonMa, Rod1916 and 2 others repped this.
  19. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I'll part of the bug crowd, we'll bug the FCDallas! 3-1 Rapids

20. SUNDROP

SUNDROP Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Grand Junction,CO USA
    So great to be blacked out on ESPN+ (and of course no Altitude available) from 250 miles away in Grand Junction (and of course, I can watch any RSL match I want, which is pretty much equidistant.) Could somebody please tell them that we live in big states?

21. rapidogordo

rapidogordo Member

Mar 12, 2016
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
  22. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    A small candle in the media darkness; 2 to 0 good guys at the half. Will be watching delayed replays during the week but for now I have that from livesoccertv.

jrowe13 repped this.
  23. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    3 - 0 84th minute, should be 3 points?

24. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    3 - 0 win, clean sheet for Howard, assuming he played 90?

Price, Rubio, and Kamara w/ the goals; 3 FC Dallas shots on frame as potential saves?

SccrDon repped this.
  25. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #25 fortcollins, Sep 29, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2019
    Bodmer Line: 1/2 = 0.500 PPG (points needed to snag last playoff spot at 43 point average divided by games remaining). Possible, but the playoff line has moved to 45 points this season.

Kroenke Line: no longer in play. (Maximum points that can be earned to win the average Wooden Spoon at just over 26 points). FC Cincinnati has clinched the Wooden Spoon, currently on 23 points, with an 11 point margin and one match to go.

Hudson Line: no longer in play. (PPG needed to become the worst team in MLS history.) The record is 16 points, still held by D.C. United (3-24-7 in 2013).

Rapids: 12-15-6, with 42 points in 33 matches = 1.273 PPG, on pace for 43.3 points for the season, after completing the worst first third of a season (2 points) in MLS history.

Rapids: surrendering 1.818 goals per match (60 goals in 33 matches) on pace to surrender 61.8 goals for the season. Breaking the MLS record no longer is in play. The new MLS record is 75 goals allowed (FC Cincinnati in 2019, with 1 match to play).

Coaching comparison:
    Hudson: 0-7-2, 2 points, 0.181 PPG in 9 matches. 12 GF (1.333 avg), 24 GA (2.667 avg), Diff = -12
    Casey: 7-7-4, 25 points, 1.389 PPG in 18 matches. 31 GF (1.722 avg), 30 GA (1.667 avg), Diff = +1
    Fraser: 5-1-0, 15 points, 2.500 PPG in 6 matches. 14 GF (2.333 avg), 6 GA (1.000 avg), Diff = +8

Never forget: Hudson’s all-time Rapids MLS regular season record: 43 matches as head coach, 8-26-9 record, 0.767 PPG; 48 GF (1.116 avg), 87 GA (2.023 avg), -39 differential.

MLS Quote of the year by Anthony Hudson, April 28, 2019: “I think this is another game where I hear a lot of people around the place and media and these types of things talk about where we’re at. It’s almost like people see us at the same level as Atlanta or as on the same level as Orlando or DC, but the reality is, I think, every game we’ve played in, it’s been the DPs, big money players up front that are making the difference. Every game that we’ve played in, people think we have those players and we don’t. Today was just another example of the real gulf in class. I think every single game we’re playing against teams and their DPs are making a difference.”

Dear Mr. Hudson, wherever you are: neener neener, dude!

SccrDon, AlbertCamus, Totoro and 2 others repped this.