PBP: Rapids @ Galaxy • Tues., Aug. 17 • 8:30pm

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by unkiemark, Aug 16, 2021.

1. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mezquida for Bassett

2. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Sports Yak

Sports Yak Member+

Jul 17, 2007
    Lakewood
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Wow. I hear the screaming eagle. Outstanding effort.

unkiemark repped this.
  4. pdid10

pdid10 Member+

Aug 8, 2008
    Boulder
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Basset played awesome. Almost had the Cole Basset hat trick: two posts and the crossbar.

Sports Yak, COMtnGuy and unkiemark repped this.
  5. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A win that actually made a statement. When was the last time we had one of those?

Sports Yak repped this.
  6. Maarten van 242

Jan 20, 2012
    Club:
    Lille OSC
    6 points from a tight turnaround road trip?!?!

When in Rapids lore did we see this before? … or at least with this degree of confidence?

For 25 damn years I’ve been programmed to think taking 1 pt. on any road match or coming home with 2 or 3 points from a two-game road trip was Rapids “success”.

May need to recalibrate with this squad!

7. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Time difference meant I could only watch the highlights this morning. Huge win for the Pids on a quick turn around!

8. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    I think that’s the biggest takeaway. Everyone in the league is thinking “LA Galaxy are back! The juggernaut is returning!”

Meanwhile, the Rapids just went toe to toe with the supposed “juggernaut.” All they were really missing was Chicharito. They had pretty much their full squad to go with and played - with maybe the sole exceptions of Alvarez and the injured Chicharito - their best lineup. We played our depth.

Not only did we play our depth, but we changed formations what, 3-4 times last night? Players rotated positions pretty much all night too. This was a well oiled machine, putting on a well coached showing. Everyone knows their role, and everyone played it last night.

I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again. We win when we execute as a team. We’re darn near unbeatable when we play like we did last night. And once our “regulars” came on, we really started to boss the game too.

So, with our depth and tactics we went toe to toe. With our regulars, we bossed the game.

I’d also like to give a shout-out to Galvan - an attacking winger playing LB last night. He made Araujo look like an amateur - something not many people can do or have done this season. If that doesn’t speak to the coaching of this team, I don’t know what does. Everyone on the squad wants it. Everyone understands they are an important cog and they need to go out there and play some good soccer.

Fraser is putting people in good positions to execute. It’s super refreshing to see from the team.

Rod1916, Sports Yak, m vann and 3 others repped this.
  9. rapidsmarc

rapidsmarc Member

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Nov 20, 2019
    Thanks so much for everyone who provided in game updates and post game analysis for those of us who could not watch the game live. What a team effort all around.

10. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn’t get to watch the match until this morning and I will echo the sentiment…. HUGE WIN. At some point we are going to quit remarking these matches as “huge wins” because they will be expected. The Rapids have been tending upwards slowly but surely all season. this was a statement win that could get us the deserved credit and respect. Basset was awesome. An inch or two here and there and Bassett could easily be sitting on double digit goals. I continue to be impressed with his deep runs. Again, they are Lampard like. Lewis finally played the way we know he can. I thought Galvan did incredible well and stepped up by playing LB. Yarbrough was his typical strong self. Lots of praise to around. But the biggest praise is for Fraser. I clearly saw 3 and maybe 4 tactical changes on the fly throughout the match. Every time Vanney tried something, Fraser said hold my beer, let’s do this. It was a game of chess and Fraser’s tactics stonewalled Vanney’s. I am scared to death to express how good I think these guys could be. I don’t wanna jinx anything so I’ll refrain. :D

11. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder

AlbertCamus and Stuart95 repped this.
  12. Sports Yak

Sports Yak Member+

Jul 17, 2007
    Lakewood
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Have to give Fraser credit for his lineup and subs. Shinyashiki was my MOTM. Okay, he got the goal, but great energy after he subbed in. And how about that defensive effort to salt away the game? Can’t remember Yarbrough needing to make save the final 15 minutes.

AlbertCamus repped this.
  13. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    I have not been posting much lately or even catching very many matches in real time because 'life'. But I have been watching from DVR (highlights at minimum) and following along and have to say after finishing last night's match tonight it is kind of nice to think to myself "That's so Rapids" when it refers to a game winning set piece goal.

14. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Fraser "effusive" in his praise of the Rapids performance ;)

1428137133479370754 is not a valid tweet id

AlbertCamus, Paranoid Coyote and JasonMa repped this.
  15. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    AlbertCamus and TheWarmBurger repped this.