Rapids Formation

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by Gamblor, Mar 24, 2003.

1. Gamblor

Gamblor New Member

May 17, 1999
    http://www.soccer365.com/Home/page_89_48651.shtml

...............Carrieri/Spencer/Roberts(pick 2)..........
    .....Chung.........................................Henderson.
    .....................Grimandi....Mastroeni...................
    .Rizo/Kotschau....Fraser...Stewart...Hart/Herdsman.
    ..............................Garlick.............................

Sounds like gameday decisions will be:
    -which 2 strikers are hot and will start
    -who ends up starting at left or right back
    -how much time Beckerman gets off the bench

2. Ingmar4Rapids

Ingmar4Rapids Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Denver, Colorado
    That's an interesting article.

Robin Fraser chimes in on the indirect "thank God Valderama's gone, now we can be a team," theme that has been running through the pre season player interviews. I am just waiting for one of the veterans to break with niceties and call El Pibe a lazy, one dimensional cancer.

Hankinson also agrees with Greenie's ongoing discussion on the need for a left back that can overlap and make offensive plays.

3. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The way you have the 4-4-2 set up here is how Dallas set theirs up last year with Martinez and O'Brien on the outside and pareja and Deering inside but deeper. Ironically, Jeffries would rather play the midfield in a diamond and drafted Josh Keller from the Tampa Bay redistribution only for Keller to retire instead of coming to Dallas. Jeffries would kill to get get Mastroeni for this role. Vaca would thrive with Pablo behind him. Interesting how every team has the missing piece some other team needs but to get them only swaps missing pieces.

4. greenie

greenie New Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    Re: Re: Rapids Formation

To be honest, I don't think the Rapids have any missing piece at the moment.

5. Northcal19

Northcal19 New Member

Feb 18, 2000
    Celtic Tavern LODO (
    Re: Re: Re: Rapids Formation

Greenie, you've seen em play and I haven't this year, but that back line worries me. Fraser is a little long in tooth, Stewart is a little green, Herdsman is a little shaky on the ball, and Katschau can be worrisome.

Don't get me wrong, I think the overall team looks fabulous, but the back concerns me.

6. cldiscodan

cldiscodan New Member

Feb 12, 2002
    Beckerman is going to start.

Rapids are going to go 3-5-2 with both Mastro and Grimandi making up for the lost defender.

7. greenie

greenie New Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    This would explain why the Rapids have played nothing but a 4-4-2 in the preseason.

8. Ringer

Ringer Member

Aug 7, 1999
    Littleton, CO
    I think anyone worried about how much playing time Beckerman is going to get need only look at the list of friendlies the Nats are scheduling. Not to mention gold cups and so on. I get the feeling we'll be fortunate if Pablo is available for half the season.

9. Malaga CF fan

Malaga CF fan Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good point, he'll be around through August and September, but this will be almost like the World Cup, with him being gone for large chunks of June and July.

10. phills

phills Member

Nov 24, 1999
    well hopefully for beckerman it won't be the same scenario as last year. As soon as pablo came back he did not play in any game for the rest of the year!!