Rapids/Fire 10/18 pre/post-game thread [R]

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by bigdush, Oct 17, 2003.

1. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
    Speculation based on Radio broadcast and stats. Scoring 3 goals is encouraging but firming up our defense is a must.

However, that said, Is the reason we scored 3 goals because our defense was caught up front a lot?

If so then as our defense firms up, we will see fewer goals. Maybe 1 at most 2.

Since our wonderful local MLS team doesn't want us to see them play their 3 final games, I guess I'll never know.

2. Soccerholic

Soccerholic New Member

Mar 6, 2001
    Mile High
    Yes, it is complete crap.

Do the Rapids expect to get a decent turnout for their home playoff game when they haven't played a home game in several weeks and they haven't shown the last three away games on TV?

3. Mad_Bishop

Mad_Bishop Member

Oct 11, 2000
    Columbia, MO
    As it has been explained by Peter Wilt, it costs the team upwards of $40K to broadcast the game. Neither team was willing to foot the bill. The ENG crew is paid for by MLS for highlight and disciple review and only consists of 3-4 cameras. Average camera man makes about $30 an hour plus the editor working the board works out to under a grand for the entire ENG feed, compared to over $40K for the broadcast. In the past, the Shootout has carried the ENG feed, but even that shoots the cost up, since the sat. bandwidth still has to be paid for, etc.

4. wcgcapone

wcgcapone Member

Feb 6, 2001
    Denver, CO, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He also mentioned that there was no audio, it was just video.

5. GutBomb

GutBomb Red Card

Aug 28, 2003
    Outside Boston
    one thing that stood out for me (granted i didn;t see the game, but this is indicative of very poor play) was the way wes hart played. how the heck does a back (the back that is supposed to be marking the fastest player in the league, DMB) get called offside?

I didn't see the whole match, but in the highlighs from mls wrap it sure seemed like he was not doing his job. yeah i know he has been part of that back line that has been so succesful, but i think that is more because borchers, fraser, and kotschau are picking up the slack.

hankinson really needs to look at wes hart and make a decision. because where he is right now... NO WAY. he's been the weak link for me all season.

These comments are in no way related to the fact that my fiancee thinks he is sexy ;)

6. generall

generall New Member

Oct 16, 2003
    I could not agree more. Borchers, Frasier and Kotchau have carried the defense. Hart is far and away the weakest link of the defense. He lacks creativity with the ball at his feet and does not compensate for that by playing solid straight up defense. He consistently gets burned against an openent with any decent speed. I understand he's from Colorado and is obviously Hankinson's boy, but at least experimenting with something else could serve the Rapids well as they fine tune b/f the playoffs. This is a team that is winless in their last 5 games and has given up 4 goals in 2 of the last 3 matches. Something must be done if this team is going anywhere in the playoffs. I think Hankinson is too much of a P***y to do anything though.

7. GoRapids

GoRapids Member

Sep 1, 1999
    Boulder CO
    While I agree for the most part about Wes ... I should point out that the right side of the defense is a traditionally weak position in MLS.

I don't see really any other options there.

And to get burned by DMB isn't exactly unusual. Many players ... world Cup calibre have been burned by DMB and his speed and skill. He's perhaps a top 5 MLS player. It shouldn't really be too surprising that Hart got eaten up by him. Most defenders DO get eaten up by him. He's freaking great!

8. joeyclams

joeyclams Member

Apr 16, 2001
    Denver, CO
    Thanks. I guess that makes sense.

IT'S STILL CRAP THAT THEY DON"T PONY UP THE MONEY TO SHOW A PLAYOFF STRETCH RUN!!

9. wcgcapone

wcgcapone Member

Feb 6, 2001
    Denver, CO, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hank sucks

This just tells you what a joke Hank is: we need 4 keepers but no replacement right back?

10. usasoc

usasoc New Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Hart is far and away the weakest link of the defense. He lacks creativity with the ball at his feet and does not compensate for that by playing solid straight up defense. He consistently gets burned against an openent with any decent speed. I understand he's from Colorado and is obviously Hankinson's boy, but at least experimenting with something else could serve the Rapids well as they fine tune b/f the playoffs. This is a team that is winless in their last 5 games and has given up 4 goals in 2 of the last 3 matches. Something must be done if this team is going anywhere in the playoffs. I think Hankinson is too much of a P***y to do anything though
    I agree with the above comments. I want to add that Hart has played every game. he has no competition for that spot... Hankinson constantly changes the other lines. With us losing lately he better try someone else.

11. smudgeyjoe

smudgeyjoe Member

Dec 15, 2001
    Westminster Colorado
    Regardless!!!

I don't care what it costs, if the Clap, oops, Burn have the money to pay for this match, why don't we. I have watched 6 matches in two weeks on MLS Shootout. Each time, the one that wasn't shown was the Rapids match. There is something more here than meets the eye.

12. Mad_Bishop

Mad_Bishop Member

Oct 11, 2000
    Columbia, MO
    Take it up with your new owner...