Rapids @ Dallas 10/25 - Pre/In-Game/Post [R]

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by TrooperBari, Oct 19, 2003.

1. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2001
    Jakarta
    Now or never for home field.

KC - 41 pts., @ DC
    COL - 40 pts., @ DAL

2. Lyle

Lyle New Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Iowa
    At least DC lost today, so hopefully they'll give KC a real run for their money next week. We should be able to beat Dallas. I can't believe they'll get past Garlick.

3. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
    Prediction:

KC 3-2 DC
    Dal 2-1 Col

4. Daksims

Daksims New Member

Jun 27, 2001
    Colorado
    This time Trembly comes off the bench for the hattrick and Colorado wins 5-0.

5. nowar99

nowar99 Member

Apr 14, 2003
    Boulder
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I don't know about the scores, but somehow I can't imagine that we are going to get back in to 2nd place.

Sorry, we have had plenty of chances to put this one away, and now we've lost control of our own destiny (their inability to finish off KC and clinch 2nd is the final nail - regardless of the outcome, Hankinson should be gone at the end of this season).

I am resigned to 3rd place. I just hope the Rapids don't do the incredibly stupid thing and allow this game to take place on October 31st (gee, younger people will be at parties, and families will be out trick or treating and parties. Seems like a recipe for a crappy turnout)

6. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
    Maybe we could have the players dress up in Halloween attire? Scare the crap out of KC.

My prediction: attendance = 5183.

7. GoRapids

GoRapids Member

Sep 1, 1999
    Boulder CO
    The game will be Nov 1 if we do finish 3rd. My rep already told me...

My prediction is 3-0 Rapids.

8. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
    Cool!!

Ok, prediction:

Colorado 2-0 KC

Then we go into KC with no TV coverage AGAIN!!!!
    and we loose 1-0

We play LA in Denver in front of 35K and win in a 4-3 thriller. (we don't need no stinking TV coverage !!!!).

MLS CUP

Rapids 3-2 Fire OT.
    In front of a record TV rating of 2.5

I know I'm dreaming but wouldn't it be great!!!!!

9. Tony Cheval

Tony Cheval New Member

Mar 17, 2000
    Colorado
    That's funny, considering all the adverts coming out have said that our playoff game will be on the 8th. o_O I did think the announcement was a bit premature (also on the looped announcements outside Invesco).

10. He's In Fashion

Jan 7, 2000
    Littlefun, CO, US
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    3-0 Rapids, the Burn have nothing to play for, and the Rapids should want that second playoff at home, not to mention a head of steam. This team has been full of positive suprises this year, minus Pibe, this is the team that made a great run. We will see the Fire in the Final, and we will take home our first trophy.

11. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rapidsfan is reporting that the game will be Oct. 31st if they finish 3rd...

12. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
    KC has to loose for the Rapids to even have a chance to finish 2nd. So they can beat Dallas 100-0 and still finish 3rd if KC wins against DC. At least I'll be able to watch that game on TV

13. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
    I guess you can't believe everything your rep tells you. I was told by my rep that the Rapids games were pulled from TV by Comcast when in reality it was the Rapids who didn't want to pay the 40K for the production costs. The Rapids pulled the game not Comcast. I had to find that out by calling the Rapids PR department. Also, the Rapids are trying to move the game from the 31st to the 1st however they are having some difficulty doing so. It could still happend but not very likely. You know the Bronco worship in this town is huge so whatever our saviour Bowlen says goes.

14. gschroeder

gschroeder Member

Jun 18, 2001
    Thornton, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Interesting comment that was brought up on MLS Wrap what homefield advantage is in the first round? Some teams may actually want to play their first game at home. I kind of agree that there really isn't much of an advatage either way. No matter what game 2 will tell a team what they need to do no matter where they are.

That said
    Rapids 3
    Burn 1

15. Daksims

Daksims New Member

Jun 27, 2001
    Colorado
    They could tie as well, my friend. KC is 1 point ahead of us. A tie would put them 2 points ahead of us. A win for us would give us three points which would put us 1 point ahead of them.

16. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
    NO DUH

17. bigdush

bigdush New Member

Jul 22, 2003
    Parker, CO
    You really didn't just say that did you?

18. GoRapids

GoRapids Member

Sep 1, 1999
    Boulder CO
    Boy our current little winless streak has us all feeling a bith pizzy huh :) Every thread has a tone of unhappiness.

Spennie ... look what you and the boys are doing to us!!!! BEAT DALLAS PLEASE!

19. Worm Burner

Worm Burner New Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Denver
    You are the one who said they had to lose.

20. Daksims

Daksims New Member

Jun 27, 2001
    Colorado
    Apparently you still don't understand. I'll try to explain it a little better.

KC (Kansas City) has 41 (forty-one) points.

Colorado has 40 (forty) points.

There is 1 (one) game for each team (Kansas City & Colorado) remaining.

Teams receive 3 (three) points for a win, 1 (one) point for a draw, and 0 (zero) points for a loss.

****KC****

Win = 44 points

Tie = 42 points

Loss = 41 points

****Colorado****

Win = 43 points

Tie = 41 points

Loss = 40 points

****Scenarios****

2nd means the team has a better record in the conference and obtains homefield advantage in the first round of the playoffs. 3rd on the other hand is one place lower than second and the team doesn't gain homefield advantage in the playoffs.

KC wins(44 points) & Colorado wins(43), draws(41), or loses(40) = KC 2nd & Colorado 3rd

KC draws(42) & Colorado draws(41) or loses(40) = KC 2nd & Colorado 3rd

KC loses(41) & Colorado loses(40) = KC 2nd & Colorado 3rd

KC draws(42) & Colorado wins(43) = Colorado 2nd & KC 3rd

KC loses(41) & Colorado wins(43) = Colorado 2nd & KC 3rd

KC loses(41) & Colorado draws(41) = Colorado 2nd due to head-to-head tiebreaker* & KC 3rd

*Tiebreaker - http://mlsnet.com/about/regulations/ TEAM-STANDINGS TIE-BREAKING PROCEDURES
    The team awarded the highest position in the MLS standings will be the team with the greatest number of points as determined by the point system. Ties will be broken according to the following system (NOTE: If two clubs remain tied after first club advances during any step, tie breaker reverts to step 1 of the two-club format):

1) The highest position shall be awarded to the team with the better win/loss record in current regular season games against all other teams equal in points. (head-to-head competition)

Colorado is 2-1-1 while KC is 1-2-1 in this year's head-to-head series.

I hope this has been helpful for you, Centennial. :)

Note - My first instinct was to put "dumbass" instead of "my friend" on my initial post, but I felt that my verbiage may have been too harsh. So if there's any lesson in this, it's for me to trust my instincts.

21. smudgeyjoe

smudgeyjoe Member

Dec 15, 2001
    Westminster Colorado
    What If???

Daksims, what happens if Kansas City is attacked by Swine Flu and is quarantined for 6 months in an Arbys in southwest KC. At the same time, Bill Owens demands to be added to the Rapids, they put him at center mid, he reduces the Rapids budget, and they are forced to play with 3 players. If we still win, is there a chance the last away game will be televised on local radio.

Seriously, Daksims, your summation couldn't be better!!!!! Thank you for summing it up so there need be no more conjecture as to what might happen. If someone is still confused after that, they better seek out Rush Limbaugh.

22. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
    You're very helpful Daksims. I know what I wrote, but you took that line and not the following where I specifically stated that "So they can beat Dallas 100-0 and still finish 3rd if KC wins against DC." This obviously implies that I do understand what you so graciously pointed out in this email. I just wanted to see what kind of response I would get if I responded by NO DUH. Now I know. :)
    The only tidbit I wasn't certain about is if we tied KC in total points. I wasn't sure about the first tie break. So head to head is more important to MLS than total goals or goal differential. I kinda like that. I was used to soccer leagues that considered goals scored and goal differential first.

I still think we will finish 3rd. Attendance will be dissmal no matter what our finish due to:
    1. lack of any TV coverage for 3 weeks.
    2. local media rarely mentions the Rapids any more.
    3. Rapids can't advertise too much on TV due to not knowing what date they will play and the stupid stadium situation.

Pretty depressing if you ask me...

Maybe I'll start the "Its over" routine. Seemed to work on the Broncos when they won the Super bowl 2 years in a row. I kept saying "It's over" any time things looked bad and they won. Reverse phychology.

Anyway, interesting phychological experiment with this post. Most interesting.

23. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
    Re: What If???

Why don't we find out what hotel they are staying in and keep them up all night! It seemed to work with the Cleveland Browns years ago against the Broncos.

24. cljco

cljco New Member

Jul 8, 2003
    Denver
    Re: What If???

Speaking of radio.... is there going to be ANY radio brodcast this week?? Last weekend the Rapids office kept advertising that it would at least broadcast in Spanish on 1090, and since I habla/comprende just enough Espanol to listen a soccer game, I was fine with that. But come game time...nothing but mariachi music. So apparently, even the Spanish broadcasters have now dropped the ball for the fans. If I'd known about the Chicago internet radio broadcast sooner than in the middle of the game I'd have made arraingments to be at a computer where I could pick it up.

So what's the scoop? Is there going to be a Spanish broadcast, internet broadcast out of Dallas, anything??????????? Anyone? Anyone?.....

25. GoRapids

GoRapids Member

Sep 1, 1999
    Boulder CO
    Re: Re: What If???

Most likely the Marriot downtown ... 717 17th street ...

LOTS of sports teams stay here ... including lots of soccer teams. (I work in the building).