Rapids 2015 Season Catch-All

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by m vann, Mar 5, 2015.

1. Jimmydinho

Jimmydinho Member+

Jul 6, 2007
    Denver, CO, USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    whaaaaa? the switchbacks? how does this make any sense with our partnership with Charlotte?

kucsdat repped this.
  2. AvaiBunton

AvaiBunton Member

Oct 24, 2010
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think all MLS teams can loan out players even with partnerships. Maybe he'll still train with the Rapids.

I'm not sure I like it cause Badji has a horrible shot even though he scored goal 1 this season.

Jimmydinho repped this.
  3. sambakid17

sambakid17 Member

Nov 4, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Hairston possibly headed back to Charlotte Independence. SMH.

4. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    I think its important to point out that the Rapids are 8-9-9 one win from the .500. Its hard to believe with how negative the vibe has been, how bad the soccer has been, and the time spent in the basement.

COMtnGuy, kucsdat, Dom. FC and 2 others repped this.
  5. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    Also just one win above last in the Western Conference, or put another way one soft penalty 2 matches ago from 'Slowest Gun in the in the West'.

JasonMa repped this.
  6. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Doyle now has 4 game-winning goals this season. BWP, Rolfe, Kamara, Keane, and Giovinco are tied for the league lead with 5, but they were all here at the start of the season.

7. Rod1916

Rod1916 Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Reading through the "we still have a chance" threads, I thought maybe I would take a quick look at our statistical chance according to sportsclubstats.com. I had stopped looking as it was WAY too depressing.

The good news is that we are not in the running for the Wooden Spoon anymore. Whew. We have a .4% chance of winning it. It clearly will be going to a team from the East.

The bad news is that we have a 6.7% chance of making the playoffs. So, Fleming is right in saying "So your telling me there's a chance". That phrase implies a very slight and distant possibility. But there is a chance.

I would not say there is a great (or even good) chance to make the playoffs, but a win against Vancouver would drive up the percentage above 15%. Clearly, a couple more wins would make a big difference.

Rod.

JasonMa repped this.
  8. GreatGonzo

GreatGonzo Member+

Jul 1, 1999
    MA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Yes, winning and getting more points does tend to help. :)

Unfortunately, of our remaining 8 games, only 3 are at home. Let's assume we win all those (big assumption, obviously) - that puts us at 42. It's looking like 48 points will probably be the minimum needed to make the playoffs in the West. Do we get 6 points out of these away games?

Vancouver
    Toronto
    Houston
    Sporting KC
    Portland

So yeah, we'll need quite the run to end the season to make the playoffs. If anything, 6.7% chance to make the playoffs right now seems too high.

COMtnGuy and JasonMa repped this.
  9. wilyZ

wilyZ Member

Mar 24, 2008
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    even if we do somehow manage to maintain this form, it looks like san jose would be most likely to take seattle's spot if anyone does, especially when you take a look at their schedule. philly, flounders, impact, nyc, fsl, vancouver, sporks, and the burn. obviously anything can happen, but i think they would be extremely unlucky to finish the season with less than 50, a marker we'd fall short of even if we earned 2ppg for the rest of the season

COMtnGuy and JasonMa repped this.
  10. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's why any playoff talk is very premature right now. If we get a win on the road in Vancouver missing 4 starters + Serna, then we can at least start looking at possibilities of how we might make the playoffs.

Sports Yak and jayd8888 repped this.
  11. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    It's so unlikely that its all just crazy talk. I just want to see a club that is trying. I'll settle for the baby steps for now.

12. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    echo o o o o o

Sports Yak and JasonMa repped this.
  13. Rod1916

Rod1916 Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Agree completely. My point was that we have a slight chance, but not enough for everyone to get excited.

rod.

JasonMa and jayd8888 repped this.
  14. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    Its an interesting wrinkle, especially if they continue getting points. It makes you wonder where its building or how it could be blown up.

AvaiBunton repped this.
  15. AvaiBunton

AvaiBunton Member

Oct 24, 2010
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As I'm sure everyone would love to see this team start continue to win games, I think it will only mask the long term problems. I mean at 9-9-9 over the course of the season so far (obviously a W against VWFC, as Canadian teams just lose to the Rapids) isn't the worst record by any means, but I think making the playoffs just shows to ownership that "it's possible to win with what we've got" and that isn't what this sinking ship needs at all.

@JasonMa said it i believe in his blog, TH deserves to be fired from fans perspective, but not from ownership's. He's done what was asked of off-field. But stop him now from having a single on-field decision moving forward. Get a coach who knows what the hell is going on. Bring in a Director of Soccer, not PB or Claudio, an experienced person who knows what success means. Increase Scouting, hell, even let Lopez go back to doing that. I'd say he's started well and will continue to do so. PB & PM need to be gone regardless of how the season ends, wins or loses.

IndyRapids04, Jimmydinho and JasonMa repped this.
  16. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ireland - Gibraltar just kicked off (on ESPN3). Doyle is on the bench. I'm actually a bit of a fan of both teams being part Irish and having one of the best vacation days of my life on Gibraltar.

17. wilyZ

wilyZ Member

Mar 24, 2008
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jimmydinho repped this.
  18. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    *sigh*

COMtnGuy repped this.
  19. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ireland won 4-0, Doyle was an unused sub.

jayd8888 and Totoro repped this.
  20. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    That's a lot of travel for not getting into the match - it was played at the Estadio Algarve in Portugal. Hope he sees some time Monday night v Georgia at the Aviva in Dublin.

Irish fans are now thinking they have a shot at qualifying following their win combined with Scotland's loss in Georgia.

jayd8888 repped this.
  21. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dom. FC and JasonMa repped this.
  22. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Ireland defeated Georgia 1-0 in Dublin, but Doyle didn't get get on the pitch. Boy I hope the next time he's racking up major miles it isn't for nothing.

Stuart95 and JasonMa repped this.
  23. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Charlie Slagle named Colorado Rapids youth club executive director

Charlie Slagle, former CEO of North Carolina's Capital Area Soccer League (CASL) and Davidson College head coach, is the new executive director of the Colorado Rapids Youth Soccer Club (CRYSC).
    CRYSC serves about 6,000 players from ages 4 through 18 and has a partnership with MLS's Colorado Rapids.

“Charlie is a rare youth soccer executive with business, programming and leadership experience at the highest levels,” said Peter Pak, CRYSC Board Chair, in a press release. “He moves seamlessly from national level committees to interacting with players and families."

http://www.socceramerica.com/article/65519/charlie-slagle-named-colorado-rapids-youth-club-ex.html

COMtnGuy and Jimmydinho repped this.
  24. sambakid17

sambakid17 Member

Nov 4, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil