Rapids 2015 Season Catch-All

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by m vann, Mar 5, 2015.

1. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry I missed you at the game Rod, I'm moving soon and got in one last DC United game. It's funny you mentioned the swaying, do you mean the "bounce" of the stands? To me that is one of the coolest things about the DC United experience. One thing I like about there games is that the supporters are on one side in front of the fans. The terraces seem cool but I like having the supporters closer in.

2. Rod1916

Rod1916 Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Yes, I am referring to the Bounce. I was certainly jumping to help with that aspect. :)

The setup was good, we were right between the two supporters groups. It would be similar to having two terrace groups with section 108 in between. Us old people can stand/chant/sit during the game while adding to the voice created by the constant (and I mean non-stop) singing/chanting.

rod.

3. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In case anyone is wondering, 3 is the low total for wins in a 34 game season in MLS. (DC, 2013)

Then its 5 (NE 2011, TFC, 2012)

The Rapids have 2 in the last 28 with the following 6 games coming up:

Dallas
    @ Orlando
    @ SKC
    Vancouver
    FSL
    @ Seattle

4. GreatGonzo

GreatGonzo Member+

Jul 1, 1999
    MA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    We're currently on pace for 19 ties, which would break the Chicago Fire's record.

JasonMa repped this.
  5. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sure we can manage draws out of Dallas, Orlando, and Salt Lake.

KC, Vancouver, and Seattle on the other hand can probably be safely marked into the "loss" column.

AvaiBunton repped this.
  6. AvaiBunton

AvaiBunton Member

Oct 24, 2010
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    " 3 is the low total for wins in a 34 game season in MLS. (DC, 2013). Then its 5 (NE 2011, TFC, 2012)"

Our hope as a team and fans is that the epic failure of this season and last can have the same outcome as DC did 2 seasons ago. They have totally turned it around and are competing for every game.
    I wonder how their fans thought their team was when they won only 3 that season, worse than how the Rapids fans feel or just as dissolutioned by the team and FO. My guess is that it's damn close maybe even better as it was only one season versus 2+.

7. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I usually get seats behind the supporters (one section up) which makes for a great atmosphere.

8. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't want the same outcome as DCU. Well........... let me re-phrase that: I want the same turnaround in terms of victories and points but I don't want to do it the same way. Why, you may ask?? DCU stuck with Olsen. We don't need to stick with Pablo, sadly. Even through a disastrous 2013 season Olsen and DCU won the US Open Cup defeating 4 MLS teams. Three of those teams went on to the MLS playoffs. They lifted a trophy in historically one of the worst seasons ever in MLS. I think that gave DCU's FO and faithful supporters a glimmer of hope for Olsen. DCU's 2013 season was more a one-off than anything. They were beset with injuries, had a huge roster / upper management turnover, and were slowly integrating a new wave of players. Pablo has slightly improved as a coach. I will admit that. However, it's not enough to think there is a silver lining in all this like there was with DCU and Olsen.

9. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Except DCU held onto their draft picks, Portland got our #5 pick from last year and the team getting our #1 overall pick this year is currently TBD.

Also, Olsen had a good season(s?) the year before the 3 win debacle.

22SteveD repped this.
  10. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    22SteveD, COMtnGuy and JasonMa repped this.
  11. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    Who won the other awards?

12. AvaiBunton

AvaiBunton Member

Oct 24, 2010
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    " team getting our #1 overall pick this year is currently TBD"

What was this trade? Doesn't it go back to us since there Aren't any new teams in the league next year?

Edit: I didn't think the klute trade had anything with 2016 involved.

13. jcaleo

jcaleo Member

Nov 3, 2006
    I think this has to do with the McMath loan. If he is kept then we would own the Union the 1st Rd pick.

22SteveD repped this.
  14. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Correct, if we keep MacMath after the season Philly gets our highest 1st round pick (at the moment we only have 1 1st round pick).

That's the only draft pick we've potentially traded at this point

15. Rod1916

Rod1916 Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Seems like a great deal for Philly, since we are likely to have a really high 1st round pick. :)

MacMath is a decent goalie, so it may not be horrible for us as well. As long as he is OK being backup to Irwin and fills in for some Irwin-rest.

rod.

16. AvaiBunton

AvaiBunton Member

Oct 24, 2010
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really hope we don't. Berner will be back and a totally capable backup. We need not to be giving these away like they don't matter.
    If things hold up they way they are, under Current points standing we'd be picking #2. That isn't worth it for a back up goalie.

22SteveD, Totoro, COMtnGuy and 2 others repped this.
  17. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And yet he is like the #4 CB on Rapids, just another mystery of the Rapids. Its getting kind of like the Bermuda Triangle around here.

18. Rod1916

Rod1916 Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I am not opposed to him not being a starter given the current roster. He is young, I don't have a problem with Moor and Sjoburg starting ahead of him given their play. Maybe Burling shouldn't but with him being gone so much I am not going to call this a failure on the coaching staff.

JasonMa repped this.
  19. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Unless the Moor - Sjöberg pairing starts leaking goals on a regular basis it's hard to argue against it. I know I've made this statement many times, but I know that the question about O'Neill and playing is going to keep coming up.

Now, if O'Neill is with the Rapids in a year or two it would seem he would be starting with Sjöberg or Greenspan.

JasonMa and Rod1916 repped this.
  20. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. I think O'Neill should be #3 but I haven't been quiet in my opinion tat Burling is too physical for a CB and is a red card or a PK waiting to happen. But its hard to justify O'Neill starting in front of Moor and Sjoberg given how they're playing right now. And for gods sake there is never a reason to play Watts at CB if O'Neill is available.

Serna confuses me more, at least until Doyle and Solignac showed up. With Badji playing poorly, Sanchez not being a great starter, and Torres being better up front I don't understand how Serna didn't get more time on the right wing.

Even now I would want to see Serna off the bench before Eloundou (and I generally still have high hopes for Eloundou) or even Sanchez to be honest.

In the end though if I were asked to pick our best XI from a completely healthy roster for either a 4-2-3-1 or a 4-4-2 O'Neill and Serna wouldn't be in it. But they would be the first choice off the bench in their positions.

UxSxAxfooty, GreatGonzo and Totoro repped this.
  21. wilyZ

wilyZ Member

Mar 24, 2008
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    regardless of how you rank moor/burling/o'neill/sjoberg, i think we can all at least agree that watts should be dead last and should not be getting starts at CB like he did at seattle

22. Rod1916

Rod1916 Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Agreed!

23. jcaleo

jcaleo Member

Nov 3, 2006
    It's very frustrating how much time the men's national teams take away from the MLS season. I can imagine how hard it would be to be Consistent for a club team when you are gone more then half the season so far.

24. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My last beat on this dead horse, you just don't start a 23yo Rookie over a younger, 60+ MLS start Veteran that all stats, records where better when he was in there.

I don't care how many goals we are giving up this year, hell we are playing with 2 D-Mids sometimes 3, we should have a stingy defense between this and Irwin back there.

25. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Saying the records and stats were better when he was in there isn't really a apples to apples comparison though, since before this year we didn't have Sjoberg as an option.

So far this year we've given up 4 goals when Sjoberg has been playing (no mroe than 1 per game) and 1 when O'Neill is playing (and both of them were playing for that 1 goal). That means 8 goals have happened when neither one were on the field.

Sjoberg has played about 2/3rds of the minutes yet only 1/3rdof the goals allowed have happened while he's played.
    Sjoberg has played almost exactly 4 times as many minutes as O'Neill and 4 times as many goals have happened with Sjoberg on the field than O'Neill

Obviously this is pretty minimal analysis, there's a lot more that goes into goals allowed than the playing time of one or two defenders but its hard to make a case this eyar that the statistics are better with O'Neill than Sjoberg.