Rapids 2015 Season Catch-All

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by m vann, Mar 5, 2015.

1. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Spot on.

It is a very fine line between mediocrity and success. I don't think it would take megamillions to raise the Rapids to the competitive level of Sporting Kansas City. I do think it would take better soccer knowledge at the top of the organization. KC seems to acquire the right players. Colorado seems to acquire nearly the right players.

As Mark Twain put it, "The difference between the almost right word and the right word ... a large matter—'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."

Sports Yak, 22SteveD, COMtnGuy and 2 others repped this.
  2. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    Maybe we need to ditch the critter mascots and get a deity like KC's soccer Jesus -- bring back his holiness Rapidman?

3. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    I believe he's got a date Saturday night :).

4. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Forgot to mention a couple of things we discussed. I asked directly about why Doyle hadn't been playing recently for Wolverhampton; his response was something to the effect that once Doyle had signed with the Rapids he was out of favor with the team - that is a very loose paraphrase on my part.

Also he stated that Doyle was flexible and thus could play not only up top but in other roles as well - he was making a point that the formation doesn't matter once the match begins as things are very flexible on the pitch.

My guess is that if we see Doyle on Saturday night it will be in a reserve role. But with a games on Wednesday and the following Saturday both Doyle and Solignac will have the opportunity to prove themselves.

Jimmydinho and JasonMa repped this.
  5. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We'll find out our first USOC opponent tonight at 5pm. Odds are we'll be in the one MLS vs. MLS matchup (because that's how these things work when it comes to Colorado and the USOC) or we'll get the Colorado Springs-FSL2 winner.

COMtnGuy repped this.
  6. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You mean the team we lose to gets COSprings-FSL2 winner

7. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, Springs-FSL2 is Round 3, we enter in Round 4, most likely against the winner of that matchup unless we end up in the MLS vs. MLS match (they haven't announced how that matchup will be determined).

COMtnGuy repped this.
  8. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brown's agency airing some "dirty laundry" on Twitter about his move:

9. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Seems like a defensible decision to sell Brown instead of give him a new (and bigger) contract given his apparent lack of progress in his two seasons. The timing of his replacement has been a problem, but that's a different issue.

Quinn 33, jayd8888, m vann and 5 others repped this.
  10. 22SteveD

22SteveD Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kind of misleading in their argument: Brown had a GA deal coming into MLS, Powers had a no leverage, graduating senior contract. But he is upset Powers got a new deal after rookie season...Think he should of spent time working on his finishing and not what guys got new deals.

Quinn 33, jayd8888, COMtnGuy and 3 others repped this.
  11. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will now agree that Bianchi is trying to create controversy when none exists... "consistent in approach to young player development."

22SteveD, Quinn 33 and JasonMa repped this.
  12. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    Maybe it is ignorance about one being Generation Adidas and the other not rather than malice?

JasonMa repped this.
  13. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't quite understand all the ins and outs of Twitter but I don't think Bianchi retweeted these, I think Brown's agency responded to Bianchi's initial (lame) statement about consistency.

So its not really Bianchi creating the controversy around Brown (unless Bianchi knew ahead of time this was going to be the result and he was playing the setup man).

COMtnGuy repped this.
  14. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #689 Quinn 33, May 24, 2015
    Last edited: May 24, 2015
    I don't understand why this would even come to light. Seriously, what does anyone have to gain from it? Brown doesn't get anything from it. The agent doesn't get anything from it beyond (maybe) scoring brownie scout points with their client. The transfer happened months ago, so the water went under the bridge a long time ago.

I don't understand the why there is a need to compare Powers to Brown. They were in the same draft class, but anyone that considers them equal in ability is simply being disingenuous.

Brown is a good guy and a decent player, and this is completely unnecessary. Unprofessional move from his agency.

And seriously? "Consistent in approach to young player development." A typical idiotic statement from the buttmad weathermanlet who knows nothing about soccer.

15. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    If anything selling a young player off to another league is a strategy for developing young players.

Stuart95 repped this.
  16. Soaker888

Soaker888 Member+

Feb 21, 2012
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    :eek::ROFLMAO:

17. spot

spot Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Centennial
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    22SteveD and COMtnGuy repped this.
  18. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    #693 Totoro, May 25, 2015
    Last edited: May 25, 2015
    How different is this team from the one that will play the qualifiers? I guess it might be hard to tell who might not be released from their teams in the fall.

Edit: apparently a lot of guys are missing...Gil and a bunch of other MLSers, for example. So I feel a little better about the U-23's now. Not that Gil is all that great but I was worried it was a team full of guys not getting playing time.

19. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    With Sjoberg doing so well, and being European, it doesn't seem like he'll be with us for too long, does it?

20. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Wasn't this basically the thought O'Neill at the end of last season? Not to say it won't happen, but I think we'll see him for at least one more full season before he gets a lot of attention from Europe. And there might be a variable here in that he went to college in the US, likes living here and unlike many US born players doesn't feel a burning desire to get a Euro experience.

COMtnGuy and JasonMa repped this.
  21. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    The best thing about O'Neill when he was starting was that he was so young and the Rapids' record with him starting. It was never obvious why they won with him in the lineup.

Whereas, Sjoberg's strengths seem to be more visible. It helps that Sjoberg is 6'7" and has been dominating in the air. There are probably already tapes sitting on Tony Pulis's desk.

Sjoberg might not have a burning desire to get a Euro experience, but he might appreciate the raise.

COMtnGuy and Jimmydinho repped this.
  22. DavidJames

DavidJames Member+

May 11, 2003
    Longmont
    Sjoberg has done a decent job but it mostly consists of clearing the ball. That's not a bad thing but at this point it's pretty much his only thing. I think he'll need to show some composure with the ball and ability to move it out of danger under control before he gets much attention elsewhere.

Tom Collingsworth and Cos_Mos repped this.
  23. murphyskicks

murphyskicks Member

May 15, 2009
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Really? He has done well in the air, but I don't remember O'Neill being horrible in that realm. Is his positioning that much better, passing out of the back that much better, or destruction of plays that much better. I think they are fairly even except I'd give O'Neill a nod in connecting passes out of the back just based on the eye test. The lame looping corner kick to Sjoberg at the back post has been terrible and a downgrade from corners last year.
    I'm guilty of WANTING O'Neill to succeed. That is my bias and I'm aware of it, but I'm getting a little frustrated at the lack of O'Neill in the lineup. We need the cultural shift to developing guys in our system rather than drafting college seniors. We need a win for the homegrown player. I think we have it in O'Neill but mustache prefers Sjoberg for some reason I'm not seeing.
    Serna behind Ramirez makes total sense. There is a difference in quality there.

24. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm indifferent, really, when it comes to O'Neill vs. Sjoberg. I think they are quite even. Sometimes when the defense is clicking why mess with chemistry?? It seems to be working. We are tied with Seattle for the best defensive record. It sucks for O'Neill but sometimes you have to go with the hot hand and right now that's Sjoberg. I would love to see them paired together but we all know, Moor, like it or not, is not heading to the bench anytime soon. I will say, one thing I do not like about Shane is his tendency to go to ground first when he does not need to. Staying on his feet, in a better defensive position, can benefit Shane. On top of that, he tends to get a little heated and will pick up cards whether it's through descent or a rash tackle. Sjoberg seems a little more cool, calm, and collected. I love Shane, I really, really do and desperately want to see him succeed but right now he's behind Sjoberg. It doesn't help his case that every time you turn around he's off with the U-23's. That just gives Sjoberg more opportunities in training and matches .

fortcollins, Rod1916, Jimmydinho and 2 others repped this.