Rant about American Beer

Discussion in 'Food & Travel' started by The Old Lady Hertha, Jun 29, 2005.

1. jayro75

jayro75 Member

Sep 8, 2004

I never said American beers are weaker and I agree it is a myth.... I said there is Greater availability of Stronger varieties in Europe then in mainstream America which is True..................

If you go into a 7-11 you find Bud miller heineken etc.....
    Some Malt liquor and Wine Coolers.........

In a convenience store in Europe there is agreater variety of different types of beer..........

Because there are more varieties brewed and enjoyed over there..........

Now we are all speaking in some generalizations but this is what I have seen in my experience...........

2. needs

needs Member

Jan 16, 2003
    Brooklyn
    ???

[​IMG]

:D

3. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    Which is also not true. I can go to just about any place that sells beer in the USA and pick up a Colt 45. which is around 6% alcohol by volume.

4. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    Great minds think alike.

;)

5. jayro75

jayro75 Member

Sep 8, 2004

Which is Malt liquor not technically Beer.............

[​IMG]

6. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    Wrong again.

Malt liquor is beer.

7. Dr Jay

Dr Jay BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 7, 1999
    Newton, MA USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're from Boston and you think Sam Adams is the only good domestic beer ? Try some others...fast. In my opinion, Sam is only third best in the city.

Try Tremont Ale....number one in my book.
    I like Harpoon better than Sam as well. Especially their IPA which has a distinctively different taste than a lager like Sam. Harpoon Summer is great if you like that lemon zest thingy.

Small trivial point - until recently Sam Adams wasn't even brewed in Boston. It was brewed in Pittsburgh by license to Iron City.

8. needs

needs Member

Jan 16, 2003
    Brooklyn
    The scary thing is that photo seems to show a bottle of "Colt .45 Ice."

9. jayro75

jayro75 Member

Sep 8, 2004
    In fact, Malt Liquor is not beer. At least, not by the strict legal definition of the word. The alcohol content of Malt Liquor is so high, it cannot legally be called beer in some areas of the world. Including the U.S. of A.

link

As I said before it is Technically not beer.

10. Frieslander

Frieslander Member
    Staff Member

Feb 14, 2000
    North Jersey
    "malt liquor" is an archaic legal term. It's a lager made with lots of rice and/or corn.

11. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    Well, since you edited your response I'll reply to this version too.

The average alcohol percentage by volume for pilsner style beers, which is probably the most popular beer style in the world, is around 5%.

I've never seen an equivalent of a 7-11 style "convenience store" in Europe. I used to live there, and I've been back there since on a number of occassions. What I've seen on the shelves of grocery stores over there is pretty much a similar selection of beers as to what I've seen here.

As I pointed out in another reply in this thread, the variety of beers in America is far greater than the variety of beers in any given European country. Trying to find anything other than a lager, koelsch or alt in Germany is not that easy. Hell, trying to find a koelsch outside of Cologne or an alt outside of Duesseldorf is tough.

However, I can go to my favorite liquor store and find all of those. In fact, I can find also find Belgian, Czech, Italian, Dutch, Indian, American, Jamaican, French, Japanese, Chinese, Salvadoran, Mexican, and beers from LOTS of other countries in my local.

You need to get out more.

;)

12. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    Malt liquor is technically beer. So is stout. So is ale.

I don't care what the legal definition of it is. It's beer. I know. I've made it myself.

13. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're right.....because the important distinction is "legal definition" as I think freis or someone else mentioned. Some states force you to slap a "malt liquor" label on any beer over a certain alcohol percentage. Georgia was that way until very recently. That was why until recently you couldn't get a Sam Adams Triple Bock or a Moretti La Rossa in Georgia....because those companies refused to re-label their beers as malt liquors just to pass muster of some antiquated backwardsass liquor laws. Now that's changed....and thankfully the iron curtain of high octane beer discrimination has been lifted here.
    :)

14. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    I think Mr. Lastort would enjoy a trip to Bohemian Hall & Beer Garden in Astoria. Hell, most beer drinkers would.

I think the perception that Americans drink crap beer comes from the fact that there are far more consumers of beer in America than beer drinkers, i.e. people who look at beer as more than a cheap, not-too-intense way to get drunk.

Naturally, the big companies that can mass manufacture cheaper beer using lesser hops and water are going to sell more.

15. Pints

Pints Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Charm City
    Wow, with all due respect, you really do not know what you are talking about.
    I beg you to get out more often. In your state alone there are more breweries than there are in alot of places in Europe. And no, most Europeans don't enjoy "alot of varieties" of beer. At least not more than can be bought in any decent sized city in the US. In fact many areas generally stick to a couple of styles as they are either required by law, or the people have drank them for 100's if not 1,000's of years. For instance Germany, not very big on Ales period. In Cologne there is a wonderful Ale brewed by tradition called a Kolsch but the majority of your beers from Germany are lagers. It is normal for European breweries to stick to 1 - 4 beers (and four is alot). Alot of times it is the very same beer but with Black Patent, Chocolate malt, or Caraf malt thrown in to change the color. In example (Hefeweisen vs. Dunkelweisen) Same beer differnt color, some slight changes in aroma or mouthfeel but essentially a Wheat Beer. The US the majority of breweries brew between 5-20 different styles let alone different forms of those styles. Granted their football myan be older and more popular than ours, but the variety of brews is far superior in the US, seriously.

16. Frieslander

Frieslander Member
    Staff Member

Feb 14, 2000
    North Jersey
  17. Pints

Pints Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Charm City

The mass production of what some of us refer to as crap beer actually began during the second world war. As a large majority of men were over seas, and product became insanely expensive the 10,000 plus breweries that thrived in the US at the time started shutting down at a massive rate and started opening ...bakeries.

It was cheaper and easier to add adjuncts like rice hulls and corn to beer to lighten the body and for adding some fermentables cheaply, not to mention their market at the time were women working in factories and warehouses that usually didn't drink as much as the men (no dis to women at all, it isn't your fault Budweiser exists ;) ). When the US was forming Irish brewed their styles, Germans theirs, etc etc so the variety back then was strong. WW2 killed most of all that off.

18. The Old Lady Hertha

The Old Lady Hertha New Member

Dec 15, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    I wasn't talking bout alcohol quantity...I was talking about taste.

Iono...it was just something I felt wehn I went to Europe, I'm not a good drinker (as in drinking a lot), but in Europe, I swear I could drink a lot more than I can usually handle. Like I said, maybe its the air or culture there.

19. jayro75

jayro75 Member

Sep 8, 2004

Ok so I guess I don't know as much as you do on the history of Beer...

I guess I should be taken out back and shot for that crime,.....
    I don't drink Beer as much as other things and my being incorrect in this thread has nothing to do with getting my out.....Seriously...

20. Speedball

Speedball Member

Feb 27, 1999
    Harrison Stadium
    The Schlitz brewery near Reading, PA also produced Sam Adams for awhile.

21. Pints

Pints Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Charm City
    No you shouldn't be taken out back and shot. We should take you out for a tour of the fine breweries in your state! :D

Start here. Sadly alot of them are shutting down, hurry go give them your business!

22. jayro75

jayro75 Member

Sep 8, 2004

You buying?????? :D

23. Pints

Pints Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Charm City
    Sh!t not in NYC!

24. Pints

Pints Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Charm City
    Oh, and Old Lady Hertha when you become of legal drinking age, please to show repentance for your sins against American Beer go here, then go out and get some much needed beer culture. ;)

Trust me soon you are going to re read this thread of yours and kick yourself in the a$$.

25. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States