Ranking the Teams

Discussion in 'World Cup 2014: General' started by Revolt, Jun 17, 2014.

1. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not going to rank all the teams, but I'll give a top 5 and bottom 5 at the present moment (all teams played 1 game, with Mexico-Brazil also included):

Top 5:
    1. Germany
    2. Netherlands
    3. France
    4. Italy
    5. Mexico

I have Argentina and Brazil in the top 10 and USA around 12.

Bottom 5:
    28. Algeria
    29. Spain
    30. Portugal
    31. Honduras
    32. Cameroon

Dishonorable mention: Nigeria (worst offense in the WC - by far); Uruguay (vastly overrated)

2. canis

canis Member

Jun 10, 2014
    La reina del Plata
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Top 5:
    1. Germany
    2. Italy
    3. Netherlands
    4. France
    5. Colombia

Bottom 5:
    28. Portugal (hard to tell from the match against Germany, but certainly among the bottom 5-7)
    29. Nigeria
    30. Iran
    31. Cameroon
    32. Honduras

I liked England and Costa Rica too.

3. Froboy69

Froboy69 Member+

Inter Milan
    Colombia
    Mar 25, 2011
    San Diego
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    #3 Froboy69, Jun 17, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2014
    This is my ranking after only the first round; not counting Brazil vs Mexico because I would have to wait for the others to play their round.

Honorable mentions:

Brazil, yeah I am sure that we can agree why they're not here....

Argentina did well, but struggled a bit and did NOT meet expectations by what you would expect.

France, I LOVE this team, but dominating an weak Honduras that was brought to 10 men isn't that convincing to me.

Belgium did a nice comeback, but underperformed a bit like what you would have wanted from Argentina in sense of a quality driven game.

My top 5:

1. Netherlands - They completely dominated a full Spanish squad.

2. Germany - As expected, they capitalized and I am pretty sure that even with a 11 man opponent, they could have still done some serious damage.

3. Colombia - I am not being biased, but Colombia beating a defensive Greece and after a 16 year absence while missing a good amount of their best players (injury wise like Falcao) by a 3-0 result, is noticeable. And Greece did not lose a man compared to how some of these matches went. They beat expectations and pressure.

4. Italy - Did wonderful against England but once again, they couldn't keep a clean sheet. Not that England was terrible where it's insulting, but I expected more from a country that is known for quality defenders. It was hard for me to choose between them and Colombia for 3rd, but Colombia had a better result to a team that is one of the best defensives in this world cup.

5. Mexico - Not counting their game against Brazil (it would be unfair to rank them with that if the other teams haven't had their second match yet.) they seemed among the most organized despite having not having more goals as they rightfully deserve.

4. Christina99

Christina99 Member+

Argentina
    Sep 22, 2013
    Buenos Aires
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    From what i ve seen the best teams were

1- Germany
    2-Netherlands
    3-Colombia
    4-Italy
    5- France/Chile

I would like to do this after group stage is over, though, cause many teams get nervous in their first match and cant truly show what they can do

5. Thezzaruz

Thezzaruz Member+

Jun 20, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    You know, after the group stage the teams rank themselves pretty well through the knock-outs. :D

Revolt repped this.
  6. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Update. Not expecting Cameroon-Croatia to change things much, other than giving Cameroon a chance to crawl from the wreckage of their showing verus Mexico

Top 5:

1. Germany
    2. Chile
    3. France
    4. Netherlands
    5A. Italy
    5B. Mexico

I have Argentina and Brazil in the top 10 and USA around 12.

Bottom 5:
    28. Algeria
    29. Portugal
    30. Honduras
    31. Cameroon
    32. Spain

7. karpouzeiro

karpouzeiro Member

Jun 13, 2014
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Top 5:
    1. Germany
    2. Netherlands
    3. France
    4. Chile
    5. Italy

Bottom 5:
    28. Uruguay
    29. Cameroon
    30. Honduras
    31. Portugal
    32. Spain(by far)

8. Christina99

Christina99 Member+

Argentina
    Sep 22, 2013
    Buenos Aires
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I change my top 3 after seeing chile-spain

1. Germany
    2. Chile
    3. Netherlands

Bottom 3 all i know:

32. Spain

9. Froboy69

Froboy69 Member+

Inter Milan
    Colombia
    Mar 25, 2011
    San Diego
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Ok how bout a update?

10. canis

canis Member

Jun 10, 2014
    La reina del Plata
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    1. Germany
    2. Holland
    3. Colombia
    4. Chile
    5. France

But i dont expect much from the Last 3.

11. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thru Tuesday 6/24

Top 5:

1. Colombia
    2. Netherlands
    3. France
    4. Costa Rica
    5. Brazil

Bottom 5:

28. Australia
    29. South Korea
    30. Japan
    31. Honduras
    32. Cameroon

12. goliath74

goliath74 Member

May 24, 2006
    Hollywood, FL, United States
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    My top 5:

1. Netherlands
    2. France
    3. Colombia
    4. Germany
    5. Costa Rica (I do not think they are truly top 5 but you've got to give them credit)

13. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Through Wednesday early games

Top 5:

1. Colombia
    2. Netherlands
    3. France
    4. Costa Rica
    5. Brazil

No change at the top. Yes, Argentina did get a full 9 points, but in a very weak group.

Bottom 5:

28. Australia
    29. South Korea
    30. Japan
    31. Honduras
    32. Cameroon

Also no changes. I have Iran just out of the bottom five at #27. Scoring only one goal in that group is rather pathetic. Honduras has a chance later today to escape purgatory.

14. Nicola777

Nicola777 Member

Dec 9, 2013
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    the teams pointless are cameroon, honduras and australia.

japan, iran, england got 1 point at least.

15. Car123

Car123 Member

Aug 5, 2008
    US
    Group F isn't as bad as people think. Bosnia and Nigeria are good teams. I would say Group F is leveled with Group A in terms of toughness. Also F is a step above E, C, and G.

16. Tomazo

Tomazo Member

May 18, 2014
    Koper
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Slovenia
    My top 5 teams are:
    1. Netherlands
    2. Germany
    3. France
    4. Mexico
    5. Brazil

17. little airplane

little airplane Red Card

Jun 5, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Holland
    Germany
    Colombia
    France
    Argentina

France? well who have they really played? Argentina average too actually but I still think theyll win it at least make the final. We have to see Germany this morning, Holland have been the best at this stage though maybe Colombia on par but I'd still fancy Germany over Colombia. In fact, Germany over pretty much anybody.

Froboy69 repped this.
  18. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    #18 Iranian Monitor, Jun 27, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2014
    Now that the group stage is over, I think we can rank the bottom teams in the World Cup. To rank the best teams, however, we will still need to see the knock out rounds.

The bottom 24 teams in this tournament, or the #32 to #8 sides, were as follows:

32. Cameroon (0 points, - 8GD) -- Despite some interesting players, hopelessly disorganized and tactically clueless for a side competing in the World Cup. The weakest "team" in the tournament, even if not necessarily the weakest collection of individual players. They finished last in the overall standings too.
    31. Honduras (0 points, -4 GD) -- While not as rubbish as some other teams that have finished as bottom dwellers in the World Cup, they would have been the weakest team of the tournament if Cameroon had slightly more tactical sense.
    30. Australia (0 points, -6GD) -- Gutsy performances but they did end pointless after all, in a World Cup which really didn't show huge differences between the teams in practically any of the other groups that didn't feature Cameroon or Honduras. At the end of the day, I can't put them above teams that didn't finish pointless over 3 games even if they had a tough group.
    29. South Korea (1 point, -3 GD) -- They did poorly in a very friendly group, especially in their most important encounter on the second day against Algeria.
    28. Russia (1 point, -1 GD) -- They ended up finishing as the weakest UEFA side and I think they were quite mediocre despite facing rather mediocre opposition too.
    27. Iran (1 point, -3 GD) -- A magnificent performance against Argentina, where Iran came so close to recording a huge upset, but even with that, there were really few teams you could day were weaker than Iran. I think I have listed all the ones that were weaker, although the side I list next might have shown weaker than Iran too.
    26. Japan (1 point, -4 GD) -- I had a tough time deciding whether they should rank above or below Iran? But they obviously disappointed and it is quibbling over details whether you put them above or below us.
    25. Ecuador (3 points, 0 GD) -- Unlike Ghana and England, who finished last in their respective groups but who I rate above them, Ecuador didn't finish last and won a match. But the team they beat was Honduras.
    24. England (1 point, -2 GD) -- I don't rate England this poorly despite their results in this World Cup, but it would violate the spirit of the game to rank a side that finishes with 1 point totally above teams that finish with much more.
    23. Ghana (1 point, -2 GD) -- Africa's most entertaining side, Ghana ultimately weren't able to do enough to rank much higher. Not with only 1 point.
    22. CIV (3 points, -1 GD) -- I liked Ghana more, but CIV was pretty entertaining as well. Yet, being unable to get the job done against Greece wasn't impressive.
    21. Greece (4 points, -2 GD) -- Greece advanced, but they didn't impress. They are alright but not better than where I have put them.
    20. Italy (3 points, -1 GD) -- They didn't deserve to advance, but they are better than the teams I have ranked below them.
    19. Croatia (3 points, 0 GD) -- They did alright and rank among the better teams that didn't advance.
    18. Uruguay (6 points, 0 GD) -- They helped propel Costa Rica into the Cinderella team of this tournament and now, again without Suarez, they will not have much to say.
    17. Algeria (4 points, +1 GD) -- Having advanced, they might deserve to rank higher, but while I rooted for them in all their games and they might be my 2nd favorite after Iran, I still think they aren't as good as the teams I rate better than them. The truth is that I just don't rate their group.
    16. Bosnia (3 points, 0 GD) -- After all that was said and done, despite being eliminated very early in the tournament, Bosnia showed to be a very strong side. Much better than some of the teams that advanced. I would rate them even higher but results can't be ignored either.
    15. Spain (3 points, -3 GD) -- As awful as Spain were by their standards, they are still better than the teams I have rated below them. They are just better.
    14. Portugal (4 points, -3 GD) -- Imagine having the 2nd best player in the world and doing as poorly as Portugal did? Well, they didn't do as poorly as Spain, but that still doesn't say much.
    13. Costa Rica (7 points, +3 GD) --After deservedly beating Uruguay and Italy, Costa Rica managed to advance (and as the top team to boot) from their so-called Group of Death to boot, making them the Cinderella team of the tournament. But as some point sooner than later, the clock will strike midnight even for them.
    12. Switzerland (6 points, +1 GD) -- In a better group, they might not have advanced. They are alright but not much more.
    11. Nigeria (4 points, 0 GD) -- Nigeria is on balance the strongest African team and while I am not sure the African champions were better than Bosnia, they are better than plenty of teams in this tournament.
    10. USA (4 points, +1 GD) -- Advancing from their Group of Death, the US proved a very capable side even if it didn't prove particularly overpowering, quite often going into a defensive shell in its games.
    9. Belgium (9 points, +3 GD) -- Picked as an early Dark Horse candidate, Belgium finished with maximum points but still failed to answer the questions about them, barely beating each of its opponents. And those opponents weren't world beaters either.
    8. Mexico (7 points, +4 GD) -- After such a terrible qualifying campaign, Mexico have been one of the better teams in this tournament. Top 8.

19. goliath74

goliath74 Member

May 24, 2006
    Hollywood, FL, United States
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    Out of curiosity, why is Russia ranked behind Iran and Japan?

20. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    That is how I saw them. I think Iran is better than Russia.

21. little airplane

little airplane Red Card

Jun 5, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Russia had 2 points not 1. Spain were shit and got smashed in their opening 2 games beating an Australian team missing several players doesnt change that. Italy were crap but above them as they didnt get destroyed and if not for a red card almost certainly would have made the 2nd round { red was deserved }

22. little airplane

little airplane Red Card

Jun 5, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Iran had a good game against Argentina and could have won that. Russia is better though. You display so much bias towards your country and we all told you they are shit and Bosnia would beat them and start favourites, which they duly did.

23. little airplane

little airplane Red Card

Jun 5, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    you would.

24. dna77054

dna77054 Member+

Jun 28, 2003
    houston
    Ecuador had 4 points.

25. mfw13

mfw13 Member+

Jul 19, 2003
    Seattle
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    The official FIFA rankings will be as follows:

#32: Cameroon, 0 points, -8 GD
    #31, Honduras, 0 points, -7 GD
    #30: Australia, 0 points, -6 GD
    #29: Japan, 1 point, -4 GD
    #28: Iran, 1 point, -3 GD (1 GF/4 GA)
    #27: S. Korea, 1 point, -3 GD (3 GF/6 GA)
    #26: England, 1 point, -2 GD (2 GF/4 GA)
    #25: Ghana, 1 point, -2 GD (4 GF/6 GA)
    #24: Russia, 2 points, -1 GD
    #23: Spain, 3 points, -3 GD
    #22: Italy, 3 points, -1 GD (2 GF/3 GA)
    #21: Ivory Coast, 3 points, -1 GD (4 GF/5 GA)
    #20: Bosnia, 3 points, 0 GD (4 GF/4 GA)
    #19: Croatia, 3 points, 0 GD (6 GF/6 GA)
    #18: Portugal, 4 points, -3 GD
    #17: Ecuador, 4 points, 0 GD

#1-16 will be determined by the knockout rounds....