Ranking MLS teams based on major titles per season

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by 00Kevin, Dec 14, 2021.

1. 00Kevin

00Kevin Member+

Jun 13, 2006
    SoCal
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Interesting, but flawed.

You are starting with a false premise. That false premise is simply dividing the number of "titles" by the number of season a team has played. That completely inflates those teams that won more than one "title" in a season.
    "Major Trophies per season" is not really an accurate description of the data you compile.

Also, I am not sure all of the "other major championships" (like "MLS is Back") and the Canada Cup are really worthy of equating with MLS Cup, SS or USOC

For example, the Fire have NOT won had a "major trophy" in 25% of their seasons.
    We won all of the "major trophies" (1 MLS Cup, 1 SS, 4 USOC) in the first 9 years of existence. Two of those seasons, we won two "major trophies" (1998-MLS Cup and USOC, 2003-SS and USOC)
    We have won nothing since then.
    We won a "major trophy" in only four season out of 24.

00Kevin repped this.
  3. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have not viewed on the same list the accomplishments of Tampa Bay Mutiny, Miami Fusion and Chivas U.S.A. included with all other MLS clubs for some time now. Its an MLS time capsule of sorts 00Kevin.

00Kevin repped this.
  4. 00Kevin

00Kevin Member+

Jun 13, 2006
    SoCal
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    very fair points! to be honest the inflation of trophies as you put it was the goal of the exercise. I definitely agree that the canada cup is inferior to the usoc and was on the fence about including it. mls is back is an interesting oddity but not insignificant imo, it was a championship of every mls team (except for 2 who pulled out)

xtomx repped this.
  5. 00Kevin

00Kevin Member+

Jun 13, 2006
    SoCal
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Love my old school MLS. If you want to see a time capsule check out this thread where I'm uploading old MLS VHS recordings. I'm actually going to be uploading the Tampa Bay Mutiny's last ever game next week:

https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/im-uploading-old-school-mls-matches-to-youtube.2118703/

6. KevFu

KevFu Member

Jun 21, 2015
    How would you rate Rochester, which won a US Open Cup, in zero MLS seasons?

(I'm still effing PO'd about MLS treatment of Rochester).

7. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    1 over 0 is an undefined number.