Rank the 32 World cup teams

Discussion in 'World Cup 2014: General' started by vancity eagle, Nov 20, 2013.

1. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    No, just no. ELO I can agree, but FIFA has confed multipliers which skew the results from various confeds.

2. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    LOL at bleacherreport and guardian showing their blatant eurocentrism. I mean under what justification are teams like Switzerland, Bosnia, Russia, Croatia ranked above Ghana. They never learn do they.

3. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I can see any of those teams beating Ghana on a neutral site.
    That being said, Ghana can beat any of those teams too.

It will be very interesting to see which teams show up in Brazil and which flop.

4. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    For a team, whose fans consider it to be among the 4 best contenders, it always had 2 other teams way below its own strength. If this happens, then Portugal had easy draws in all those tournaments.

For anything, "group of death" is the one for whomever is the 3rd or 4th best ranked team of the group, in which case you may be a very good team and well ranked team, but despite this issue, you still got in your group, 2 other teams better ranked and more relatively stonger teams than yours.
    Groups of death don`t concern the top dogs.

5. raviept

raviept Member

Jun 11, 2010
    Braga
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    First, very few Portugal fans rank the team as top 4. You are clearly wrong in that aspect. At best, 7th, but I would put it at 10th. The only time Portugal was in the top 5 was in 2006.
    And weren't Germany and Netherlands better than Portugal? They both reached the semi-finals of WC2010 and Netherlands lost to Spain in the final, eliminating Uruguay in the semis. And there was also Denmark, a team far from being easy. In fact, this group was regarded as one of the toughest of the history of Euros. And the Euro is not much easier than a WC.

6. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Well ELO bases the points exchanged in each match the "probable" result according to its own criteria.

One way or the other each ranking system uses its own interpretation of what to take in account, the moment it decides to rank teams.

I also prefer ELO over FIFA, but none of them is perfect. Unfortunately FIFA don't care or use any ranking system except its own, so for any issue where FIFA decides to use rankings, 100 % certain that it will use the fvcked up ranking they created. :thumbsdown:

7. palynka

palynka Member

Jun 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
  8. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    When you guys had Germany and Netherlands you may have a point, but last WC (2010), you guys had CIV and NK, which by no way were even close to Portugal and Brazil, whom were 3rd and 1st in the rankings at the time of the WC.
    IF, it was a group of death, it was for CIV, not for Portugal.

9. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    #109 Rickdog, Nov 23, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2013
  10. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006

You realize it was a very even game between Portugal and CIV, if anything CIV was slightly better, and without Drogba who was injured. So I don't know what u are talking about. Portugal were lucky 1) that Drogba was injured 2) they played an unmotivated Brazil who had already qualified for round 2.

11. raviept

raviept Member

Jun 11, 2010
    Braga
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    #111 raviept, Nov 23, 2013
    I'm not arguing with you about that, but it is funny that you say IC was much worse than Portugal. I remember perfectly well that in this forum every person that was not a Portugal fan was ranking IC as better than Portugal. Just like some are now ranking Ghana higher than us. I really don't know this team, so I give them the benefit of doubt, just like I do towards Chile, Colombia, and Belgium. And I admit that IC was far from an easy challenge.

However, it really tells how biased football fans can be, always letting their feelings get in the way of an objective analysis. This also applies to Portugal fans of course. Due to the recent result against Sweden, people became infatuated and are now polluting every topic. I am more realistic, since I know perfectly well the limitations of our NT.

Rickdog repped this.
  12. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Brazil won its place in the next round, when they beated CIV, for both it was their second game in the WC. before the game was played.

In any case,
    So ?

13. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    #113 Rickdog, Nov 23, 2013
    Exactly, that is why I pointed out very specifically : "Portugal Fans". In any way, I never considered CIV below Portugal, not before, not after.

My rep on your post, goes for this part, which is absolutely true.:thumbsup:

The odd side (not bad, which is another diferent thing) of all fans of any team, is that fans usually rate their team higher than the reality in which they really are. But for the issue, with very few exceptions (btw, on regards to my team, I'm not in this category), you guys belong to the same category shared by England, Mexico and Argentina fans, whom top everybody else in how they tend to over rate their NT.

14. Nani_17

Nani_17 Member+

Nov 3, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I find many Portuguese fans overrate our team, and others tend to underrate our team. I think the truth lies somewhere in the middle, that's why I personally put us at 8th.

15. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    Interestingly every group of death since 2002 when the tournament was expanded(GOD loses its meaning when a 3rd place team can qualify) has included an African side. In fact since 2002 the 2 toughest groups have always included African sides, and it's always one that makes it out and one that fails. Its also always Africa's 2 best teams that end up in GOD.

1) Sweden 5
    England 5
    Argentina 4
    Nigeria 1

2) Denmark 7
    Senegal 5
    Uruguay 2
    France 1

1) Argentina 7
    Holland 7
    Ivory coast 3
    Serbia & M 0

2) Italy 7
    Ghana 6
    Czech 3
    USA 1

1) Brazil 7
    Portugal 5
    Ivory C 4
    N. Korea 0

2) Germany 6
    Ghana 4
    Australia 4
    Serbia 3

16. Nani_17

Nani_17 Member+

Nov 3, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Oh stop, please, we could say Ivory Coast was lucky that Portugal was playing with negative tactics during that WC, which drove us all insane. We beat North Korea 7-0 and drew Brazil, IC beat North Korea 3-0 and lost to Brazil. The better team advanced, deal with it.

Rickdog repped this.
  17. raviept

raviept Member

Jun 11, 2010
    Braga
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Here goes my ranking, by the way.

Conembol

1. Brazil
    2. Argentina
    3. Uruguay
    4. Colombia
    5. Chile
    6. Ecuador

UEFA

1. Spain
    2. Germany
    3. Italy
    4. Holland
    5. France
    6. England
    7. Portugal
    8. Belgium
    9. Russia
    10. Croatia
    11. Greece
    12. Switzerland
    13. Bosnia & H

CAF

1. Ghana
    2. Nigeria
    3. Ivory Coast
    4. Cameroon
    5. Algeria

Concacaf

1. USA
    2. Mexico
    3. Honduras
    4. Costa Rica

AFC

1. Japan
    2. South Korea
    3. Australia
    4. Iran

18. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    I don't think Portugal was anything special in 2010. In fact, as much as I hate to say this since he is our coach right now and has been doing much better recently with us, but it seems to me that Carlos Queiroz has a knack for making teams rather boring and uninspiring! To me, the 2010 Portugal team was just lackluster. The 7 goals it scored against North Korea notwithstanding. I wouldn't say they were better than Ivory Coast, regardless that they clearly earned more points and advanced to the knock out rounds ahead of them fair and square.

I definitely liked Portugal more in Euro 2012. In that tournament, they showed some glimpses and occasionally played a style that was entertaining. I didn't watch them in their qualifiers, but enjoyed watching them against Sweden. Overall, I get the sense that this is a much better, or at least a much more entertaining, Portugal side than in 2010. I have rated them around #8 among the World Cup finalists but would have definitely rated them lower in 2010, regardless that their only loss in that tournament was to the eventual world champions.

However, while probably even more entertaining than what I saw from them in 2006, Portugal definitely had a better team in 2006. I don't think anyone has disputed that but just to be clear: in 2006, besides Ronaldo, Portugal also boasted the likes of Figo and Deco as well. Portugal no longer has those kind of names on its squad, which is why some might look at Portugal these days and call it a "one trick pony". Even if that might be a bit unfair.

19. raviept

raviept Member

Jun 11, 2010
    Braga
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    More than Figo, Portugal misses Deco, since it now lacks a good number 10, so important for our style of play. In the past, there was also Rui Costa, but now the only great midfielder is Moutinho, who is more like a transitional midfielder. Aside from that, the team lacks a good striker as usual and the defence has seen better days, in addition to the lack of depth in our bench. However, I think the wings are generally better.

20. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    As an enthusiast fan of one of the teams that will take part in the next WC, I got to admit that, whenever I see the rankings that other members post in here (which are valid, as they are their point of view), whenever I see my team below or very below, than where I had them in my own ranking, it feels as if someone decided to stir up everything inside my bowels ..........
    :p

21. raviept

raviept Member

Jun 11, 2010
    Braga
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    As I said, I don't know modern Colombia and Chile very well. The rankings are meaningless.

22. Nani_17

Nani_17 Member+

Nov 3, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I agree with everything you said, however I truly believe Moutinho has hit Decos level. Monaco paid a lot of money for him, but he doesn't get the exposure he would if he would have gone to the EPL or a larger La Liga team, but he seems to be responsible for about 50% of all the assist.

23. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    I agree, especially it was Deco who fired the shot that basically ended our World Cup, with Ronaldo simply converting a penalty later on. Figo, though, was kind of like El Cid. Even his dead body, or in his case his old body, still required teams to have someone stick to him to make sure he didn't cause them any problems.

24. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Maybe Moutinho will get there, but he is still not there. For even a casual observer of the Portugal team, Deco stood out in ways that you couldn't miss. I can't say the same for Moutinho.

25. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    Agree, Deco was a true leader and playmaker for the teams (Porto, and Portugal) at his best ... Moutinho was neither one in eitehr casem .. or at least NOT YET there