Rank the 32 World cup teams

Discussion in 'World Cup 2014: General' started by vancity eagle, Nov 20, 2013.

1. sorkh

sorkh New Member

Jun 4, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Japan beat Belgium 3-2 in Belgium this week and tied against Netherlands in Netherlands outplaying the Dutch last week. Of course Belgium and Netherlands are better than Mexico.

2. koola

koola Member

Oct 12, 2011
    Scotland, it's crap.
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Power rankings by Guardian.
    http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2013/nov/21/2014-world-cup-finalists-rated?CMP=fb_ot

1 Spain
    2 Brazil
    3 Argentina
    4 Germany
    5 Italy
    6 Holland
    7 Portugal
    8 Colombia
    9 Uruguay
    10 France
    11 Belgium
    12 Chile
    13 England
    14 Croatia
    15 USA
    16 Russia
    17 Japan
    18 Switzerland
    19 Bosnia
    20 Nigeria
    21 Ghana
    22 Ivory Coast
    23 Mexico
    24 Ecuador
    25 Cameroon
    26 Greece
    27 Australia
    28 South Korea
    29 Costa Rica
    30 Iran
    31 Honduras
    32 Algeria

3. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    The purpose of a good ranking system would be to get all these inconsistent results, and come up with a picture of how various teams rate. Unfortunately, though, we don't have a really good ranking system. FIFA's ranking do have major problems, in particular when it comes to comparing and rating teams from different confederations. The ELO rankings, while better, are also not without their problems.

Nonetheless, if we went by the ELO rankings, which is the closest we have to a decent ranking even if the Africans sides for some reason appear under rated by ELO, the 32 teams in the World Cup would rate as follows. And, to give the Mexicans their due, Mexico would still rate above Japan but by a small margin.

1- Brazil
    2- Spain
    3- Germany
    4- Argentina
    5- Netherlands
    6- Colombia
    7- England
    8- Portugal
    9- Uruguay
    10-Chile

11- Italy
    12- France
    13- United States
    14- Switzerland
    15- Russia
    16- Ecuador
    17- Greece
    18- Belgium
    19-Ivory Coast
    20-Mexico

21-Croatia
    22- Bosnia
    23-Japan
    24-Iran
    25-Nigeria
    26-Costa Rica
    27-Australia
    28-Ghana
    29-South Korea
    30-Honduras
    31-Cameroon
    32-Algeria

Unak78 repped this.
  4. koola

koola Member

Oct 12, 2011
    Scotland, it's crap.
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1855697-power-ranking-the-32-world-cup-qualifiers
    1 Brazil
    2 Spain
    3 Argentina
    4 Germany
    5 Colombia
    6 Uruguay
    7 Italy
    8 Netherlands
    9 Belgium
    10 Chile
    11 England
    12 Japan
    13 Russia
    14 Ivory Coast
    15 France
    16 Bosnia
    17 Switzerland
    18 Korea Republic
    19 Portugal
    20 Ecuador
    21 Nigeria
    22 USA
    23 Mexico
    24 Croatia
    25 Ghana
    26 Greece
    27 Cameroon
    28 Algeria
    29 Costa Rica
    30 Honduras
    31 Australia
    32 Iran

5. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    It seems each of us is going to pick and choose the rankings and ratings that fit our preconceived notions, or at least our preferences! But I truly consider ELO the best of the bunch, even if Ghana in particular looks underrated by ELO. (Actually that makes me quite curious as to why Ghana is rated poorly?)

In any case, I am rather confident the differences between the various teams in this tournament is not that huge, once you leave out 4-5 of the top seeds and a few others here or there (France in particular). Iran, which is being ranked as the weakest of the 32 finalists by some here, will nonetheless not feel it is really weaker going against perhaps close to half the field! Hence, the draw is going to be particularly significant for teams like ours. If our CAF opponent is Algeria or Cameroon, as opposed to the other West African teams, that will give us a lot of hope. If our top seed is Switzerland or Belgium, as opposed to Brazil or Spain or Argentina or Germany, certainly we aren't going to feel hopeless. Similarly, if the unseeded UEFA team in our group is Greece (or Bosnia or even Croatia) as opposed to Italy or Netherlands, then its not out of the realm of possibility that we might get a good result. The differences in this regard can be quite significant. A lot more significant perhaps than the differences between how you rate Iran compared to South Korea, or Algeria, or Honduras or Costa Rica or the like.

6. Lusankya

Lusankya Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I agree the differences don't seem too big, but when you do a ranking of the teams then you have to put one team on rank 32. You have to put 16 teams in the lower half. If you put all teams on the same rank, then it's not a ranking anymore.

Even though most rankings in this thread (my included) actually rather seem to be predictions instead of pure rankings, it's not like those "predictions" will be what happens in the future. All we know is that every round half of the teams will be eliminated and that not all the teams have the same probability of being eliminated. But having a higher probability of being eliminated doesn't necessarily mean that team will be eliminated and team with a lower probability will not. That's not how football works and that's not how probabilities work.

In return that means ranking Iran not among the top 16 teams doesn't mean they will not survive the group stage, it just means that many people think other teams have a better chance to survive the group stage (currently independent from the actual group allocations).

Also all the talks about probabilities doesn't mean we actually know the probabilities, even saying we have rough estimates for them is a stretch. All we have are past results of the teams and how the players are doing at their clubs (but that again is very hard to compare).

Iranian Monitor repped this.
  7. pluszeropointfive

pluszeropointfive New Member

Feb 3, 2012
    1. Brazil
    2. Germany
    3. Argentina
    4. Spain
    5. Belgium
    6. Netherlands
    7. Italy
    8. Colombia

9. England
    10. Uruguay
    11. France
    12. Portugal
    13. Chile
    14. Russia
    15. Mexico
    16. USA

T-17. Ghana
    T-17. Switzerland
    T-17. Croatia
    T-20. Ivory Coast
    T-20. Bosnia - Herzegovina
    T-20. Japan
    23. Ecuador
    24. Nigeria

25. Greece
    26. Australia
    27. South Korea
    28. Cameroon
    29. Honduras
    30. Costa Rica
    31. Algeria
    32. Iran

8. Well, Mexico defeated japan 2-1 on an official game this summer. Why do Iranians give so much weight to friendlies? I guess is because that's the only thing they have.

LGRod repped this.
  9. Unak78

Unak78 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    #84 Unak78, Nov 22, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2013
    ELO and FIFA rankings still rate Ghana well below CIV and anyone with half a brain knows that Ghana is by far the best team on the continent at the moment. And there's very little reason why Ghana should be ranked so far below the US or even Nigeria. So that's enough to not really trust how they rank teams from CAF or any other region. I still can't believe that they cannot come up with a better way to rank teams. There's so much subjectivity to how it's maintained as evidenced by the fact that it caused a quality side like Egypt to go unseeded in the CAF playoffs and don't even get me started on the South Africa vs Spain friendly. And who the hell thinks that Switzerland truly belongs in the top 8 when teams like Italy, the Netherlands is lurking about. Even Uruguay seems sketchy right now? Yeah they won Copa America, but I don't really put as much stock in confederation tournaments personally.

So rankings are horrible and I hate the fact that they exist. They're a somewhat necessary evil but they should have kept it the way that it was the last WC with the combination of rankings and previous placings.

zahzah repped this.
  10. palynka

palynka Member

Jun 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Great to see we are already being underrated. :D

I'd like to order our 3rd group of death in a row, please. We seem to do well with those.

Paposeco repped this.
  11. palynka

palynka Member

Jun 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    [​IMG]

BENFICATUGA and Paposeco repped this.
  12. palynka

palynka Member

Jun 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    ELO is by far the best "objective" ranking, but it's still a backward looking ranking. All these "power" rankings are basically all pure subjectivity, or like you say, made to fit preconceived notions. So they are as valid as any by each poster here.

13. benztown

benztown Member+

Jun 24, 2005
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Iran invented rankings.

The Potter repped this.
  14. Nani_17

Nani_17 Member+

Nov 3, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Forget Psychosis hsv, he is obviously an Idiot.
    Bleecher report has a sports writer so you would think he would actually have some knowledge of the game.

15. Tmore

Tmore New Member

Nov 20, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    1 Brazil
    2 Germany
    3 Spain
    4 Argentina
    5 Uruguay
    6 Holland
    7 Colombia
    8 Chile
    9 Belgium
    10 Portugal
    11 Ghana
    12 Italy
    13 Croatia
    14 Russia
    15 England
    16 Ivory Coast
    17 USA
    18 Nigeria
    19 Japan
    20 Bosnia
    21 Ecuador
    22 Switzerland
    23 France
    24 South Korea
    25 Cameroon
    26 Greece
    27 Costa Rica
    28 Mexico
    29 Australia
    30 Algeria
    31 Honduras
    32 Iran

16. Paposeco

Paposeco Member

Jun 8, 2010
    Club:
    FC Porto
    #91 Paposeco, Nov 22, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2013
  17. Bosnian Diamond

Bosnian Diamond Member+

Aug 9, 2011
    Mars
    Club:
    FK Velez
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    The final standings of the World Cup should determine the rankings, not some fvcked up formula FIFA creates.

18. Gibraldo

Gibraldo Member+

radnicki nis
    Serbia
    Nov 17, 2005
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Ghana isn`t the best team for me and especially not "by far". They lost two matches in their campaign while Nigeria and CIV didn`t lose a single one.

and your statement on the copa is a joke. it is the most competitive confederation tournament.

19. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Some of these are so entertaining. Bleacher saying we either will make it to the knockouts or get eliminated in the group....Ground breaking reporting right there.
    So Portugal has got out of every WC and Euro group since 2004, got out of back to back groups of death following going to the playoffs the previous two tourneys. Only to lose to the eventual Champions 1. by an offside and 2. by a PK shoot out. Yeah I would be more worried about AFC and mid level Euro sides more then Portugal. I guess looking at things that happen in tournaments doesn't matter. Why is Spain #1? Because of their qualifiers and friendlies right?

20. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Well... one of those games was the return leg vs Egypt after a 6:1 thrashing. Not only is Egypt a formidable team, but Ghana had a 5 goal cushion which impacted how Ghana played.

Nigeria's opposition was relatively weak compared to Ghana.

Meanwhile CIV were a missed sitter away from not making the world cup (from which they scored on the breakaway).

21. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    I agree that Ghana's ranking is not commensurate with Ghana's strength relative to the teams ranked above it. But why is Ghana ranked so low? The rankings are derived from a seemingly objective methodology, based on points earned from the applicable formula and while the "confederation coefficient" may cause the FIFA's rankings to be skewed as far as comparing a team like Ghana with a team from UEFA or Conmebol in particular, I am not sure why Ghana is not rated as we would expect by ELO or even FIFA in comparison to teams from its own confederation such as the Ivory Coast? There must be some reason for this anomaly, a reason that might not justify the ranking but would explain it. And I kind of am curious to hear the explanation for it.

Btw, I actually prefer that FIFA give its ranking the requisite significance so that it might then be forced to confront and fix the problems with it. We do need a good ranking methodology and system and FIFA has the resources and hopefully interest to come up with what one!

22. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Both the FIFA and ELO rankings, may not be up to your personal liking, in my case I don`t trust in FIFA's, but they are based ona mathematical formula applied to each of the teams performance, which is basicly the same to every team in the world.
    For whatever issue, they are both completely objective in how teams are ranked accordingly to the formula they use, which in no part certifies it to be what the actual situation in world football really is.
    For anything of use out of them, they are useful only to get an approach of a relative strength for every team, and nothing more than that.
    Up to this moment there is no ranking system, proved to be perfect, as each of them will always give more importance to certain aspects, while at the same time not take in account others aspects, which to you or me, may differ between each other as black to white.

Rankings may not be to your particular liking, but they are there not to satisfy you in particular, but to give some sort of tool for common thinking of most people at the same time. Most of them exist due to the reason that everybody wants there to be a perfect system which you can use to compare diferent teams, and as there is no perfect ranking, each user can use the ranking system that fits better to each of our own particular points of view.

I agree with you, I believe that Ghana is over Ivory Coast, but this is our personal opinion, others may believe the opposite, and you know something ?, as it depends largely on the type of bar we pretend to use to compare them both, so we may all, be right.....
    ;)

23. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Yeah, according to Portugal fans, Portugal always gets the group of death, even if they share a group with Tahiti, San Marino and Virgin Islands, for Portugal fans, it will be the group of death .......
    :rolleyes:

24. raviept

raviept Member

Jun 11, 2010
    Braga
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    In a row, may be not, but Portugal had some terrible groups in the last 13 years. Namely, it got England and Germany in 2000 and Netherlands and Germany in 2012. Brasil and IC were also not easy in 2010. Not to mention that it always lost in the knockout stages against a team that at least reached the final, except in 2002: Spain twice, Germany, and France also twice. And it had to eliminate England and Netherlands in 2004 and 2006 to get beyond the quarter finals. Something not many teams accomplished recently.

25. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    #100 zahzah, Nov 23, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2013
    I'm not entirely sure, but I would state two key possible reasons:
    - Ghana has a very poor friendly record, which contrasts with its official games record
    - the previous coaches executed a one-goal project meaning that even against low ranked teams they often won by a single goal - since ELO calculates points according to how 'badly' you beat them the one-goal project of prior coaches could influence that.

The other general issue is that these rankings perpetuate a self-fulfilling prophesy. CAF teams are lower ranked, therefore the lower number of points you can achieve from inter-federation games, which in turn means the teams will be lower ranked. Add to that the fact that CAF teams are on a much closer level in general than most other federations and it causes a barrier for growth, which can't be broken without widespread high results at the World Cup.

For one thing the current high ranking of CONMEBOL teams is a result of the good CONMEBOL showing in the 2010 World Cup, which meant there were much more points to be won within the federation.

Unak78 repped this.