Rank the 32 World cup teams

Discussion in 'World Cup 2014: General' started by vancity eagle, Nov 20, 2013.

1. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    So you are judging Portugal from the last 4 years? The Euro 2012 wasn't within the last 4 years? We gave Spain the biggest run for their money (besides Brazil) 2 years ago, but that is tossed because we rest on our laurels, use new players and go into third gear during qualifiers. But when it comes to do or die in the World Cup would you rate Netherlands higher? Or Russia? Denmark topped us in Euro 2012 qualifiers how did the actual Tournament go for the Danes when we played them?

I rate Germany, Spain, France and Italy ahead of us because they can beat us, much like we can beat the rest of Europe, when it matters.

If you want to rate this based on popular opinion or qualifiers, go ahead. But would you put money on any team not named Germany, Spain, France, Italy, Brazil, Argentina over Portugal?

Top 6 we are not, but we would be a strong candidate. Ranked 10-15? That is laughable. We would need to be in the group of death, with the other group of death as our round of 16 opponents to realistically not make the quarters.

world cup lover and SpaniardFC repped this.
  2. mr cricket

mr cricket Member

Apr 4, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Why are people rating Mexico so highly?

They've been rubbish the whole year, except against crappy team like New Zealand.

3. Lusankya

Lusankya Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    AFC
    1. Japan
    2. South Korea
    3. Iran
    4. Australia

No surprise that the current Asian champion and fastest Asian team to qualify is my top pick here. Even though Iran beat South Korea during the qualifying I still rate SK slightly higher when it comes to the performance during the World Cup. It's really more for historical reasons than anything. Australia is a very distant fourth here.

CAF
    1. Ghana
    2. Nigeria
    3. Cote d'Ivoire
    4. Cameroon
    5. Algeria

Ghana seems the easy pick for my number #1 African even when they failed to win the ACON. I still don't rate Nigeria as high, also because their qualifying route was so easy. CIV aren't as strong as they used to be, but they're still very good and not much behind my first two picks. I don't rate Cameroon and Algeria that high, though. Cameroon were pretty bad the last years and one good result against Tunisia doesn't change that all of the sudden.

CONCACAF
    1. USA
    2. Mexico
    3. Costa Rica
    4. Honduras

My top pick are the USA for the same reasons I picked Japan for AFC and basically for the same reasons I put SK ahead of Iran I put Mexico ahead of the other two CONCACAF teams which I don't rate very highly.

CONMEBOL
    1. Brazil
    2. Argentina
    3. Uruguay
    4. Chile/Colombia
    6. Ecuador

Brazil are the hosts and seem to have improved over the last years. On of the top favorites of the title. Argentina Are just behind with a great qualifying campaign and Messi on fire. I think Uruguay will once again sho that a bad qualifying won't hurt their FT performance. Chile and Colombia are equally good in my opinion and very good in general. On the other hand Ecuador seems to be much weaker than the other 5 CONMEBOL teams, when not being able to abuse their home base.

UEFA
    1. Spain
    2. Germany
    3. Italy
    4. Netherlands
    5. Portugal
    6. France
    7. Russia
    8. Belgium
    9. England
    10. Croatia
    11. Greece
    12. Bosnia and Herzegovina
    13. Switzerland

First four choice shouldn't be a surprise. I rate Portugal higher than Russia, just because I think they're better suited to play a good tournament in a country like Brazil. I rate France higher than expected, because they actually have great players and finally seem to be able to act as a team. Belgium and Russia are good teams, but unproven in World Cups for some editions now. England could be good, but they also could just be England. I don't know it's hard to rate them, they could easily finish ahead of Russia and Belgium.
    Croatia can be good and apparently their new coach seems to do a better job than the old one, although they weren't exactly great against a team like Iceland. BiH beat Greece in qualifying, but again I think Greece will profit from their experience, while it's Bosnia's first big tournament.
    Switzerland aren't bad and actually did a good job including their U-17 WC winners into the senior squad, but they should never be a seeded team and I tink they're actually the weakest European team at this World Cup.

4. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    I think most people think Mexico will show better form, because they have enough to choose from to come up with a decent team no matter how you slice it. That they sucked this year one of those interesting mysteries that I actually like to see better explained, because my starting assumption is that it can't be that these results they were getting was indicative of their true abilities.

Perhaps my assumption is unwarranted, but that would seem to me to defy common sense. They have good pedigree, a large player pool, and large population, a good league, and most of the other ingredients to put together a good team. In that sense, while they might have years where their talent level drops a bit and other years were the talent level shines better, they are different that a side like Australia. It is quite conceivable for Australia not to produce a good enough crop of players in comparison to some of your past squads. You don't have the large, football (soccer) crazy population and your league is not even really professional. There are other factors that help Australia neutralize some of its weaknesses, such as being an immigrant country with a good enough base of immigrants to assist your team and some other advantages, but I am far more likely to take note of poor results from Australia and be concerned that those results might indicate you aren't any good any more, than to be swayed by some seemingly transient poor results for Mexico.

5. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    CONMEBOL
    1. Argentina (without Messi, they would fall to 4th or even 5th)
    2. Brazil (home advantage, if it not were in Brazil, would fall to 4th )
    3. Chile
    4. Colombia
    5. Uruguay
    6. Ecuador

UEFA
    1. Spain
    2. Germany
    3. Italy
    4. Netherlands
    5. Russia
    6. England
    7. Portugal (without CRonaldo, they fall to last place)
    8. Belgium
    9. Switzerland
    10. Bosnia - Herzegovina
    11. Croatia
    12. France
    13. Greece

CAF
    1. Ghana
    2. Nigeria
    3. Ivory Coast
    4. Cameroon
    5. Algeria

CONCACAF
    1. USA
    2. Mexico
    3. Honduras
    4. Costa Rica

AFC
    1. Japan
    2. South Korea
    3. Iran
    4. Australia

Group of favourites to win the WC
    1. Argentina (without Messi, they disappear from this group)
    2. Brazil
    3. Spain
    4. Germany
    5. Italy

6. mwjppgr

mwjppgr Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Montevideo
    Club:
    CA Peñarol
    Nat'l Team:
    Uruguay
  7. Team Melli forever

Jul 11, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    UEFA
    ======
    1- Spain
    2- Germany
    3- Netherlands
    4- Belgium
    5- Italy
    6- Russia
    7- Portgual
    8- England
    9- Switzerland
    10 - France
    11- Bosnia
    12- Greece
    13- Croatia

CONMEBOL
    =========
    1- Brazil
    2- Argentina
    3- Colombia
    4- Chile
    5- Uruguay
    6- Ecuador

CONCACAF
    ========
    1- USA
    2- Costa Rica
    3- Mexico
    4- Honduras

AFC
    ======
    1- Japan
    2- South Korea
    3- Iran
    4- Australia

CAF
    =======
    1- Ghana
    2- Ivory Coast
    3- Nigeria
    4- Cameroon
    5- Algeria

8. benztown

benztown Member+

Jun 24, 2005
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    I'm in no position to make an actual complete ranking, that would be more guesswork than anything, but I disagree with what appears to be the consensus here that Spain is the best team in Europe. Granted, they do still have an amazing crop of players, but to me they seem past their prime and the results recently haven't been too encouraging either. That's why I see Germany and Italy ahead of them. Possibly even France if they should finally get their act together, but then they probably won't, so they're likely to bottle it once again. Belgium have been somewhat de-mystified by their latest displays, but I guess they could still be considered a dark horse. I haven't seen the Netherlands lately, but they're always a force to be reckoned with as well.

So for Europe, I'd list the top teams as follows:
    1) Germany
    2) Italy
    3) Spain
    4) Netherlands
    5) Belgium
    6) France

And at least the first four teams on there are very close in quality. As I said, France has a lot more potential than this, but they have to show that they can access it reliably, which so far they haven't. Portugal is IMHO a one trick pony at this point, but it's a very good trick, so who knows where that will take them. I haven't seen enough of Russia, Bosnia or Switzerland to actually have an informed opinion about them. Although personally, I still have them all down as other potential dark horses, they certainly could surprise some teams. Then again, they might not.
    I have no idea how Switzerland managed to get seated, that could certainly help their ambitions. Also, their coach is Ottmar Hitzfeld, one of the most successful coaches in football history who certainly knows every trick in the bag.
    England are having an off-generation it would seem, but even though they don't have the best footballers, they can still overpower the opponent on occasions which could be enough to reach the second round, but not much more I'm afraid. Which leaves Croatia and Greece who I have down as making up the numbers.

As for the other continents, I obviously have even less information. In Africa, Ghana seems to be the logical choice of best team. In Asia, Japan has gotten some impressive results and are another dark horse in this World Cup. North America has been dominated by the US obviously, but we'll have to wait and see how well that translates into the World Cup.
    Finally, since this is the first World Cup in South America for quite some time, this will be huge for the teams from there. Brazil is the obvious candidate to win it all and they are topping that conference in terms of quality IMHO. I don't particularly get the love for Argentina. True, playing in South America could help them, but then I haven't really seen a good game by them against proper opposition in ages. Then again, as I said, I haven't seen much, so I could be off here. Still, from what I have seen, I might put them down as dark horses, but not as outright contenders. One Messi does not make a Summer...or so the saying goes...

9. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    1. Brazil
    2. Spain
    3. Germany
    4. Argentina
    5. Portugal
    6. Italy
    7. Holland
    8. Ghana
    9. Uruguay
    10. Colombia
    11. France
    12. Nigeria
    13. England
    14. Chile
    15. Japan
    16. Belgium
    17. USA
    18. Mexico
    19. Ivory Coast
    20. Croatia
    21. Switzerland
    22. South Korea
    23. Ecuador
    24. Bosnia & H
    25. Cameroon
    26. Russia
    27. Greece
    28. Honduras
    29. Costa Rica
    30. Algeria
    31. Iran
    32. Australia

10. PanchoM

PanchoM Member

Nov 3, 2001
    PalmsPlace
    I agree with you on Argentina, but they're deeper in offense then just Messi, to me their defense is suspect.
    Chile without Alexis
    Colombia without Falcao
    Uruguay without Suarez
    in 7 months one of these scenarios could become reality

11. Area 51

Area 51 Member+

Sep 5, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

the first leg where it was 0-0 was on a potato field in Bosnia, a complete joke for the sport to have a game played on that. Someone should post a picture of what the field was like.

Seriously, it was pretty embarrassing.

And Bosnia will be a team I'll cheer for during the World Cup.

Bosnian Diamond repped this.
  12. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    All those players are important for each of their respective teams (I would also add, Neymar to that list), but they are somehow replaceable, although it will not be the same thing. In the case of Argentina, Messi, has no posible replacement and unfortunately, Sabella has made their whole team work around him. Argentina without Messi, seems completely broken, despite all the talent existent within their team, and becomes highly vulnerable.

13. TigersOfAsia

TigersOfAsia Member

Aug 19, 2011
    Canada
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Good. Looks like you got used to it :ROFLMAO:. Nobody but Iranians think Iran is better than Korea. Also, our previous coach fu*ked sh*t up for us during qualifiers, giving Persians a false sense of superiority. You have to be delusional and ignorant to think that Iran is actually better than South Korea and nobody in Asia thinks Iran is better than South Korea. @underline: :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Iran is very often, and almost always behind South Korea in the rankings. I think this has been the first time in a LONG time that Iran has been ahead of South Korea. You can expect Iran to shoot-up the rankings in the next update after wins against Thailand and Lebanon, so rankings are irrelevant. Iran can be ranked number 1 team in Asia, but ANY level headed person knows that Korea is ahead of Iran.

14. leszek-antonio

Mar 16, 2008
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    1. SPAIN---------------Still one of the best in history. They remain the team to beat.
    2. BRAZIL ------------ The most likely challenger to Spain's hegemony, "IF" they can use home advantage.
    3. GERMANY--------- The 2nd strongest team from Europe. Amazing potential, but WC final will be in "Rio."
    4. ARGENTINA-------It looks like their time. Best attack in the world. Uncertain defense will decide their fate.
    5. ITALY-------------Will have one of the most interesting "well balanced" teams, with potential to beat anyone.
    6. HOLLAND-------Will not win it or reach the final. Regardless of their quality, they are in a rebuilding phase.
    7. BELGIUM--------Very good team. If they have a great tournament, they could go as far as the semi-finals.
    8. FRANCE---------No leadership. Regardless of their potential, 2nd round will be good. Top 8 will be ideal.
    9. PORTUGAL-----Not going to win it, but if they feel good in Brazil they could go some distance.
    10. URUGWAY ----Solid team with very good attacking players. They should feel very good in Brazil.
    11. GHANA---------The best African team. However, could go out in the 1st round or reach Top 8 again.
    12. ENGLAND-----Realizing that they will not win the World Cup, will help them. 2nd round would not be bad.
    13. COLOMBIA----Good all round team. A World Cup in South America could really benefit them. Top 8.
    14. CHILE----------A bit of a mystery. This team has potential and playing in South America will help. Top 8.
    15. CROATIA----------Solid team, but not that much more. 1st or 2nd round.
    16. MEXICO------- A possible "dark horse" of the tournament. Expected to equal its best showing at WC--Top 8.
    17. NIGERIA-----------They could be the "Ghana" of 4 years ago. Expect them to feel good in Brazil.
    18. IVORY COAST-------This team is on the decline and past its peak. 1st round exist is a possibility.
    19. SWITZERLAND-----Solid team, but even Croatia has more game winners. 1st or 2nd round.
    20. RUSSIA---------Average team with one of the best coaches in the world. This is their only chance of 2nd round.
    21. USA-------------Will find it difficult. Still strong as a unit, but key players are in decline. 1st round.
    22. JAPAN---------Finally, a few world class players. Yet, 2nd round will be success. Top 8 would be ideal.
    23. KOREA--------Always improving, yet anything beyond 1st or 2nd round would be a great success.
    24. BOSNIA-HERZEGOVINA-----Some good players and they could surprise someone. Yet, 1st or 2nd round.
    25. GREECE------Could find it difficult in the group phase. Experienced and solid, but not much more. 1st round.
    26. CAMEROON---Likely their weakest time in some time. As always, could surprise a few. 1st or 2nd round.
    27. COSTA RICA--Among the weaker teams in the WC, this squad has the highest potential for surprise. 2nd round.
    28. ECUADOR-----Would not bet against them in a South American World Cup. Could be a "dark horse."
    29. AUSTRALIA---Unlikely to do any damage in Brazil. 1st round exit is a real possibility.
    30. ALGERIA-----Will want to improve on their performance from 4 years ago. Unlikely. 1st round.
    31. IRAN-----Will be happy to be there. 1st round exit. Not really sure if they are better than.....
    32. HONDURAS----They did okay 4 years ago. This time they could do a little bit better. Still, 1st round exit.

Chess_Panther, Socrates_81 and Unak78 repped this.
  15. Psychosis hsv

Psychosis hsv Member

Mar 30, 2006
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Conembol:
    1. Brazil
    2. Argentina
    3. Chile
    4. Uruguay
    5. Colombia
    6. Equador

UEFA

1. Spain
    2. Germany
    3. Italy
    4. France
    5. Holland
    6. Croatia
    7. England
    8. Switzerland
    9. Greece
    10. Russia
    11. Bosnia & H
    12. Belgium
    13. Portugal

CAF

1. Ivory Coast
    2. Ghana
    3. Cameroon
    4. Nigeria
    5. Algeria

Concacaf

1. USA
    2. Mexico
    3. Costa Rica
    4. Honduras

AFC

1. Japan
    2. South Korea
    3. Iran
    4. Australia

16. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    I you are a 17 year old kid and don’t (and wouldn't) know any better. As I said, since around 2010 (actually 2010 qualifying or 2008/09), S.Korea may be rated better than Iran by a slight margin, but before then, Iran was better. Even your own coaches and players often admitted as much in many instances, but you are too young to know. One of your older compatriots who had this debate with me, however, admitted as much in this thread you were participating in as well, so you have no excuses, admitting that the truth is that Iran was better than S.Korea before 2010.

As for how S.Korea ranked compared to Iran in these periods, I did a random check which you can do as well. Go to FIFA rankings for the AFC, pick a month (I picked January) and just change the year (for years before 2009). From 2000 to 2008 (afterwards, you started getting better) this is what I got:

January 2008: 1-Japan (#34) 2-Iran (#41) 2-Korea Rep (#41)

January 2007: 1-Iran (#37) …5-S.Korea (#51)

January 2006: 2-Iran (#19) 3-South Korea (#29)

January 2005: 2-Iran (#20) 3-South Korea (#21)

January 2004: 1-South Korea (#22) 3-Iran (#28)

January 2003: 1-South Korea (#20) 3-Iran (#33)

January 2002: 1- Iran (#29) …4-South Korea (#42)

January 2001: 1-Iran (#37) ...4-South Korea (#42)

January 2000: 2-Iran (#43) 3-South Korea (#52)

The two times you were better was in the aftermath of your 4th place finish in World Cup 2002. Otherwise, you were almost always behind Iran. Incidentally, I don't think you do any better under the ELO rankings either.

17. TigersOfAsia

TigersOfAsia Member

Aug 19, 2011
    Canada
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Sir, don't give me rankings from 2007 :ROFLMAO:

You said Iran is currently better than Korea? Well , 99% of people including your very own national hero (Carlos Queiroz who lead Iran to qualification :ROFLMAO:) disagree with you.

"Our aim is to take an enormous leap forward, put ourselves on the same rung as Japan and Korea and take our place among Asia's top three." Carlos Queiroz

gg

18. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    No, I never said that. And that wasn't what you were responding to either. I have rated S.Korea slightly better than Iran at the moment, not because of anything our coach has said, but because I have seen S.Korea begin to perform better than Iran on the pitch. We beat you twice in these qualifiers, but unlike in the pre-2009 period where S.Korea was on the defensive, since then, Iran is the side that needs to respect the Korean team. You have become better than us, with players who are better too. But there is something you don't know: Iran is catching up again. Although I had given up on this team not long ago, recently I have seen the team gel well and with the addition of some promising players, we may actually do quite well after all.

19. Bosnian Diamond

Bosnian Diamond Member+

Aug 9, 2011
    Mars
    Club:
    FK Velez
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    Hey man, we had to play on the pitch too. it affected some of our chances, however few they were. One was Ibsevic late in the game, one v one with the keeper, took a bounce, and he mis hit it.

20. Even the pathetic Chepo's 2013 Mexico version was good enough to beat Japan, again.

LGRod repped this.
  21. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Japan is an excellent team, but unfortunately, they are also the kind that can lose to weaker teams like Mexico (or even teams worse than Mexico at times) because of their defensive vulnerabilities and their inability to make the most of their chances. That is why, even though I rate Japan highly and would not be surprised if they made it as far as the quarterfinals or even beyond, there is always also a (relatively good) chance that Japan will go out in the group stage.

22. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can't only speak for myself, but their history is so good. They've advanced at every WC since '94. They've had strong youth results (winning the Olympics and the U-20s?). I think many people, myself included, believe the qualifying results were more of an aberration than their true level. Bad coaching had something to do with it, as well, and that issue has been resolved as well.

Socrates_81 repped this.
  23. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    I don't know about the U20s (I don't recall them doing much there), but I know at the U17 level, Mexico has some World Cup titles and made the final again this year as well. But your overall point is valid: Mexico has too much going for it for people to be easily swayed by results in an off year. They are a decent side and I would not be shocked if they did well this year too, although my hunch is that their streak of making the R16 will end.

24. And that's why they aren't a (that) good team.

This year wasn't (that) good for U-20 team, but Mexico got the third place the tournament before that one.

25. evangel

evangel Member+

Apr 12, 2007
    Well, the only other explanation is that Costa Rica and Honduras are better than everyone thinks they are. It would certainly make the groups they're in very fun if that's true.