Rank the 32 team by performance

Discussion in 'World Cup 2010: General' started by Excape Goat, Jul 8, 2010.

1. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    dont mind this fool, of course it has nothing to do with the skill of Ghana, all these teams just failed to show up against Ghana. THat NJdevil guy has no clue about soccer. He should just stick to watching hockey.

2. Chilexican

Chilexican New Member

Jul 25, 2010
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    1. Spain (they are the champions)
    2. Germany (only Paul stopped them)
    3. Netherlands
    4. Ghana (They won that Uruguay game)
    5. Uruguay
    6. Brazil
    7. Chile
    8. Paraguay
    9. Argentina
    10. Japan
    11. Mexico
    12. Portugal
    13. USA
    14. South Korea
    15. Slovakia
    16. Ivory Coast (would had advanced in other group imo)
    17. England (would had been eliminated in other group)
    18. Slovenia
    19. Switzerland
    20. Australia
    21. South Africa
    22. Serbia
    23. New Zealand
    24. Greece
    25. Denmark
    26. Italy
    27. Nigeria
    28. Algeria
    29. Honduras
    30. Cameroon
    31. France (played like a team with 0 pts)
    32. North Korea (7-0... nuff said)

3. Ric_Braz

Ric_Braz Member+

May 13, 2009
    Wiltshire, UK.
    Club:
    AFC Wimbledon
    Nat'l Team:
    England

4. free bet

free bet New Member

Apr 21, 2009
    Club:
    Aalborg BK
    Brasil will take the 2 spot after the copa america

5. Chilexican

Chilexican New Member

Jul 25, 2010
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

6. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    On their performance; not necessarily their results:

1- Spain...........................A

2- Germany.......................A-
    3- Brazil............................A-

4- Holland.........................B+
    5- Argentina......................B+

6- Ghana...........................B
    7- Uruguay.........................B
    8- Chile..............................B
    9- Portugal.........................B
    10- Mexico..........................B
    11- Ivory Coast....................B

12- Paraguay.......................B-
    13- United States.................B-
    14- England.........................B-
    15- South Korea...................B-
    16- Japan............................B-
    17- Slovakia.........................B-
    18- Serbia...........................B-
    19- Australia........................B-
    20- Nigeria...........................B-

21- Switzerland....................C+
    22- South Africa...................C+
    23- Denmark........................C+

24- Slovenia........................C
    25- Algeria..........................C
    26- France..........................C
    27- Italy.............................C

28- Greece..........................C-
    29- New Zealand..................C-
    30- Cameroon......................C-
    31- Honduras.......................C-

32- North Korea....................D

7. poorvi

poorvi Member+

Feb 5, 2006
    Bombay
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Why have you rated Brazil this highly? Apart form their game against the Ivory Coast and the first half against Holland, they didn't impress at all.

8. Ric_Braz

Ric_Braz Member+

May 13, 2009
    Wiltshire, UK.
    Club:
    AFC Wimbledon
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think New Zealand would be disappointed by your position. Surely they proved by finishing above Italy in the group that they had a better tournament.

I also have to repeat my constant amazement at sopme people's view of England. Above Switzerland who let in only one goal and beat the winners?! I would also have had them below South Korea & Japan as both teams actually had the ability to pass to their own teamates. Goodness knows what sort of ratings we would have got from people if we had actually reached the quarters or semis. The general feeling in this country is that it was the worst ever WC campaign by Engalnd and to beat 2006 was always going to be a difficult task.

9. NJDevils1087

NJDevils1087 Member

Jun 25, 2010
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Wigan Athletic FC
    I like this Grading Method that has been started, so let me chime in with my grades.

On their performance; not necessarily their results (with some added comments and chime-ins on selected teams whose performances I still vividly remember):

1- Germany.......................A/A- (Not believing in themselves and switching strategy against Spain cost them an outright A in my book)

2- Holland.........................A- (Should stick with the workmanlike, balanced strategy van Marwijk employed in the run to the final. Ignore all cries to go back to pretty but unsuccessful football.)
    3- Uruguay.........................A-

4- Brazil............................B+
    5- Argentina......................B+
    6- Japan............................B+
    7- Paraguay.......................B+

8- Spain...........................B
    9- South Korea...................B

10- Switzerland....................B- (Would have a B if not for horrible tactical performance of manager Ottmar Hitzfeld. What was he thinking during this tournament? He could easily have had 7 points and topped the group if he would only have made the right decisions. Really cost his team against Honduras. The team did about as much as it could to get forward without being reckless against a speedy counter-attacking Honduran side, it's really a shame for them that they didn't get the intellectual support they needed.)
    11- Portugal.........................B-
    12- Slovakia.........................B-
    13- United States.................B-

14- New Zealand..................B-/C+ (Only thing keeping them from an outright B- is that I felt they should have went all out in the final 5-10 minutes of the Paraguay match, but they were happy not to lose any matches and they achieved that goal.)

15- Mexico..........................C+

16- Slovenia........................C (Really ruined it for themselves with their awful performance against England in the final group match. Sure until Landon's late goal they didn't need a result, but they sure played like they would never need a result instead of smartly expecting the US would get a result. They didn't show up for the key final match and it cost them.)
    17- Australia........................C
    18- Ghana...........................C
    19- Denmark........................C (Their expectation for me was a knockout phase appearance... but Japan capitalized on their meeting and credit to them. I think many out there, myself included, were pleasantly surprised by the Japanese. I had JPN/DEN lined up as pretty even pre-tournament, but it was clear that Japan was a cut above.)

20- England.........................C- (Really only played 50 minutes of quality football. First half against Slovenia was stellar, aided by Slovenia playing like garbage admittedly. Final 5 minutes of the first half vs Germany when they should have responded to level the match was also stellar against a quality opponent. But if they weren't so lackluster in their first two efforts, they wouldn't have left themselves in the German bracket pod.)
    21- Chile..............................C-
    22- Serbia...........................C-
    23- South Africa...................C-

24- Nigeria...........................D+
    25- Algeria..........................D+
    26- Honduras.......................D+

27- Ivory Coast....................D
    28- Greece..........................D
    29- North Korea....................D

30- Cameroon......................D-

31- Italy.............................D-/F+

32- France..........................F+/F

10. K:thecore

K:thecore Member+

May 20, 2002
    Honolulu
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Failure + ?

So youre a failure but a really good failure? ok.

Australia was no where near a B IMO.

11. NJDevils1087

NJDevils1087 Member

Jun 25, 2010
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Wigan Athletic FC
    I couldn't outright fail them because they got points :( If Italy or France had ended on 0, they would have had an outright F.

12. K:thecore

May 20, 2002
    Honolulu
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    well D- wouldve sufficed.

theres no such thing as a failure +

13. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    I still don't get the Spain ranking. Yeah , I know you are basing it on performance, not results. But in all their games Spain comfortably outplayed their opposition. Perhaps the only exception was against Paraguay but even there they had a slight edge in play.

14. NJDevils1087

NJDevils1087 Member

Jun 25, 2010
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Wigan Athletic FC
    Really don't think they outplayed any of their opponents that played defense-first against them (Excluding Germany, but in fairness it wasn't hard to be better than Germany that day. They looked totally out of sorts.)

Did they have looks vs Switzerland? Sure, but Benaglio is probably more noted for his Honduras saves than those against Spain. There was really only 1 big Benaglio to the Rescue moments in the Spain match. They badly outshot the Swiss, but that was the match that contributed likely the most to Spain's 20th/32 Shots on Target %age for the tournament.

Slight edge against Paraguay, but that being said had they given up the PK I don't think they would have recovered to level or win. Obviously the "slight edge" point is what contributes to the grading.

And against Holland, they didn't have the better of play for me 11v11. Holland had the obviously better chances, more than contained Spain for the majority of the match. Spain for me never would have scored 11v11. Now yes, you can argue Holland should have been on 10 men on around the half hour mark, and I'd agree. But since that didn't happen, we saw more 11v11 play and I wasn't really impressed.

So now you're looking at a Spain team whose performance was lackluster at best in 3 of 7 matches. We really only saw the might of Spain for 1.5 matches: in a comfortable win against Honduras, and in the 2-goal first half against Chile (both teams just sat up the 2nd half). I think that justifies a B.

I'd say my grades per match would be:

v. SUI - B/B-
    v. HON - A
    v. CHI - A-
    v. POR - B (This would be one I'd want to watch again most. They didn't particularly do anything that stood out to me as warranting any sort of A, but they weren't all that mediocre either. If I were to watch it again it could conceiveably go up.)
    v. PAR - B-
    v. GER - A-
    v. HOL - C

15. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    They looked out of sorts because Spain didn't let them get an early lead so that they could get into their counter-attack game that they are so good at. Busquets totally shut-down Ozil and Co.

Other than that I agree with a lot of what you are saying. But need to point-out that shutting-down a good attack is just as impressive as scoring a lot of goals against a good team. Germany and Holland scored a combined 18 goals in 6 KO games, but then 0 goals in 2 KO games against Spain. Not to mention the clean-sheets against Portugal and Paraguay.

16. dudedudedude

dudedudedude Member+

Aug 3, 2008
    Baltimore, MD
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    There was a disallowed Offside goal in Spain vs. Paraguay. Should have been 1 - 1

17. NJDevils1087

NJDevils1087 Member

Jun 25, 2010
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Wigan Athletic FC
    Not disagreeing with this at all. In fact, its a large part of why I have the ratings as I do, because if anything I have more of an affinity to the defensive side of the game. I think that switching strategy so vastly and also missing Muller, to a bunch of young kids in a World Cup semi, had a large portion of the impact on Germany. Maybe that's because I also though Oezil bounced in and out of effectiveness in the competition too.

But you're definitely right that I'm likely not giving due credit to the Spanish defensively. Regardless of whether you consider their often 0-benefit passing sequences as a positive force in the match, they're definitely a good deterrent, and even when off the ball the defense was getting the job done, so credit to them there.

There's definitely a lot to be said the fact that despite only scoring 1 goal 11v11 against the combined defensive might of SUI/PAR/NED, they also only conceded 1 as well. I think the Dutch really should have scored with Robben's 2 golden chances (and let's also forget the conceded PK to the Paraguayans on the D side of things) so there's a bit of a sore thumb sticking out defensively, but he hasn't done (and Casillas bailed them out vs PAR) and it definitely has to be assessed at least a bit in light of that fact, so you're spot on.

18. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Spain - A
    Uruguay - A

Netherlands - A-
    Germany - A-
    Ghana - A-

Paraguay - B+
    Japan - B+
    Slovakia - B+

Mexico - B
    Chile - B
    South Korea - B
    South Africa - B
    New Zealand - B

Portugal - B-
    America - B-
    Slovenia - B-

England - C+
    Argentina - C+
    Brazil - C+

Australia - C
    Ivory Coast - C
    Switzerland - C

Algeria - C-
    Serbia - C-
    Greece - C-
    Nigeria - C-
    Honduras - C-
    Denmark - C-

North Korea - D+

Cameroon - D
    Italy - D

France - F

19. Pyros

Pyros Member

Sep 6, 2009
    La Coruña
    Club:
    Valencia CF
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    That disallowed goal was disallowed and rightly so, the scorer wasn't offside but the guy that tried to head the ball (I think it was Cardozo) clearly was, and the rules state that if a player who is offside tries to play the ball, the play will be disallowed, so GTFO.

20. K:thecore

May 20, 2002
    Honolulu
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Its good you dont have a stance on it cuz I really couldnt tell.