Ranieri clears the air......

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by starman1994, Oct 8, 2003.

1. starman1994

starman1994 New Member

Oct 1, 2003
    Malaysia
    And takes a swipe at Fergie..... good one CR!!!!!

RANIERI ACCUSES FERGIE

Claudio Ranieri has claimed Sir Alex Ferguson used the uncertainty at Chelsea to win a new deal at Manchester United.
    Ferguson claimed last month that Chelsea had made an approach to bring him to Stamford Bridge during the summer, but that he could never see himself leave Old Trafford.

Ranieri shrugged off the speculation at the time and believes that Ferguson, who is on the verge of agreeing a new four-year deal at United, used the situation to strengthen his hand in talks over extending his stay at Old Trafford.

"Maybe it was true that he was offered my job but I don't know when this happened," Ranieri told Four Four Two magazine.

"It could have been any time in the past. The point is he decided to speak out because he needed to renegotiate his contract. If he says 'Chelsea want me' then maybe this will help."

The Italian coach also rubbished talk that Sven Goran Eriksson was being lined-up to take over from him and revealed that he and the England coach had a laugh about the whole situation.

"I am very good friends with Sven and we laughed together when the story appeared. There is no problem between us," added Ranieri.

"Sven calls me up to talk about Joe Cole, John Terry, Frank Lampard and Wayne Bridge as any England manager would do.

"I have known him from when he was in Italy as the Roma coach and we have a lot of respect for each other."

A true gentleman!!!!!

2. the101er

the101er New Member

Jan 29, 2003
    A true gentleman for sure.

I wasn't pleased when Ranieri was hired to replace Vialli, but he certainly has shown himself to be a class act and a great spiritual leader of the team with his calm demeanor and ability to deflect speculation.

And while not wanting to take anything away from him, I was speculating recently that Ken Bates fills a critical role at the club and should be retained for just that role.

While Wenger, Houllier and Fergie are left to fight there own battles, Bates has always been there to act as the lightening rod for his managers, leaving them above the fray. He has been willing to heap derision where he felt it was needed and to defend the team, when they perhaps didn't quite deserve it.

So, while Wenger, Fergie and the rest are often caught after games whinging about a particular red card or bad call, Ranieri doen't need to do that, as he knows Bates will be more than willing to jump in. This, of course, means that Bates is not well liked among opposing teams, further deflecting criticism from the actual players and coaching staff.

So, yes, Ranieri is a class act, but I think even before Abramovich arrived, he had the willing support of a chairman who didn't mind getting in the mud and fighting for his side. Others opinions of Bates will obviously differ from mine, but it's something I've observed for quite some time and wondered that no other chairmen were willing to fight for their teams and managers.

Just a thought.

3. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Bates has always been a die hard true Blue.He has always acted in (what he saw as) the best interests of the club.
    Some of his decisions "for the better of the club" have been a tad bit controversial-take his electric fence for example.
    The Village scheme for another.

Still, at the end of the day he was a fanatical Chelsea supporter.
    Pre Abramovich i was completely sure that it was time for him to step down as his time at the helm had run its course and Chelsea needed another (any other some would say) leader.

But, now that the club is in the hands of the Russians and his financial people, i firmly believe that CFC are far better off having Bates around-after all, he is the only real Chelsea fan that may have a clue as to what is going on behind closed doors.

Better the devil you know and all that........

4. the101er

the101er New Member

Jan 29, 2003
    I guess I should have prefaced my comment with the fact that, until just recently (perhaps the noticable absence of Ken Bates sightings) I felt that Bates was a bit of an annoying, rich person who enjoyed taking too much credit and seeing his name in the papers too often.

But, seeing Wenger, Fergie and Houllier constantly in the news making ridiculous accusations about Eriksson, Abramovich, Chelsea, referees, the FA and any other topic, my mind has changed. I see a real need for Ken Bates. He allows Ranieri (and probably the whole squad) a level of detachement from side issues.

5. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Bates was brash alright.
    His programme notes were famous for his acid tongue.

Still, he did refrain form the completely stupid comments ala Wenger.
    Remember a few seasons ago when the Arse had to play Leeds in the first month of the season--that was when Leeds were an actual good footballing side-- and the lost.Wenger was moaning in all the papers about how it was a conspiracy to make sure Arsenal didn't have a good start to the season by playing a quality side that early in the campaign.

I wonder what he would have said if their first game that season was away to to Liverpool huh?

Bates was no angel though either.I joked on here that Abramovich may have chosen CFC on the basis that Bates could help him "hide" money ala his various "offshore investors" accounts.

I still don't believe that the current FBI hunt for Tollman didn't have a major impact on Bates deciding it was time to bail out.