Rangers fans guilty of hooliganism, not sectarianism

Discussion in 'Scotland' started by nach0king, Apr 12, 2006.

1. nach0king

nach0king Member

Jul 6, 2004
    Dallas Proper
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Sectarianism, fine. I didn't hear any during the Villareal first leg that I watched. But not depending on your definition of "bigoted", there may well have been some of that. What game were UEFA watching when in the 83rd minute of the 1st leg tie against Villareal at Ibrox, a large proportion of the crowd declared itself "up to its knees in Fenian blood"? :rolleyes:

http://www.uefa.com/uefa/Keytopics/kind=512/newsId=413276.html

Still, hopefully a monetary fine - small as it is - will convince those in the corridors of power at Ibrox to do something about the club's hooligan element.

2. MothersAgainstRedBul redded

Apr 13, 2006
  3. celtic76

celtic76 Member

Aug 30, 2001
    WI USA
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
  4. Burkies Ginger Mop

Burkies Ginger Mop New Member

May 20, 2004
    London
    That is just bizarre!

Rangers take on the decision

"CHAIRMAN David Murray tonight welcomed UEFA's decision to clear the club of discriminatory chanting during the matches with Villarreal but insisted that the hard work must continue to stamp out sectarianism.

Murray said: "Rangers Football Club is delighted by UEFA's decision today to find the Club not guilty of discriminatory behaviour on the part of its supporters during both Villarreal matches in the last 16 of the UEFA Champions League.

"UEFA have imposed a fine of 13,000 Euros for damages to the El Madrigal Stadium and its vicinity.

"Barry FergusonWe were confident throughout that the tremendous efforts made by the Club to tackle sectarianism, racism and all other forms of inappropriate behaviour over a protracted period would be recognised and acknowledged by UEFA.

"Few Clubs in Europe can match the sustained effort we've made in this respect over the past 5 years and even less would have been able within the tight deadlines imposed by UEFA to produce such comprehensive material to support this.

"We are grateful too for the many testimonials and expressions of support received from a wide range of individuals and organisations."

The Chairman, however, was quick to stress that sectarianism is still a problem and that fans have to realise that if they become involved in sectarian singing it could have punitive consquences for the Club.

Murray added: "None of this, however, should mask the fact that sectarianism remains a very serious problem within Scottish society and it now has to stop. Fans

"Nothing in our submission to UEFA denied this fact. A minority of our supporters are going to have to realise, and realise very quickly, that the controlling authorities in football, whether FIFA, UEFA, the SFA, the SPL or the SFL, are going to be obliged almost immediately to impose the heaviest possible sanctions for discriminatory behaviour.

"This, of course, could involve matches being played behind closed doors; a particular stand or stands being closed down; percentage reductions in authorised capacities; - points deducted; or in the worst case scenario suspension altogether from competitions.

"It's time for the 90-minute bigots to remain silent; for others to speak out, exerting a peer pressure on those that disgrace their clubs; and for the promotion of decent football songs and chants, of which there are many.

"There is nothing wrong with intense rivalry but it has to exist within a respectable environment where everyone, no matter their rPride Over Prejudiceeligion, colour, age, sex or background, feels completely comfortable.

"This is what Rangers Football Club has strived to achieve with the establishment of an in-house Sectarian and Racism Monitoring Committee; its Policy Statement, Blue Guide for Fans; Internal and External 10 point plans and numerous other initiatives, including the hugely successful Study Support Centre Education Programme.

"These fans now have to be totally committed as we move forward or the social, and perhaps financial, implications for Rangers Football Club could be severe."

5. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Article 5 states that Uefa will not tolerate conduct that is "racist, discriminatory, politically extremist or insulting". Keep on sweeping lads, there's still some room under that carpet... :rolleyes:

The following BBC article includes comments from Nil By Mouth and Scottish FA president John McBeth. You can find it here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/europe/4907724.stm

6. nach0king

nach0king Member

Jul 6, 2004
    Dallas Proper
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    800 fans for a FREE away game? For a 5 hour journey? Morton have taken similar numbers to Peterhead and it's a similar length of travel. And a bunch of people wearing different team's shirts? My God. I've been to an MLS game before and I don't recall the Dallas fans being that ********ing odd.

As for the violence, terrible security and terrible segregation. Awful stuff.

7. nach0king

nach0king Member

Jul 6, 2004
    Dallas Proper
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    If they don't want anonymity, I'm sure they woudln't have to look too hard to find someone to put their name to a complaint. :)

Consideirng page 2 of that article says that there is 1) a rule stipulating that investigations have to be treated the same *regardless* of their origin and 2) no mention of anonymity and how that might affect the case was included in the disciplinary body's reports, one would have to assume that a) the aforementioned 2) WAS a concern, just one the body decided to keep to itself or b) a lot of people at UEFA are scared of this opening the floodgates and their actually having to police the game.

IMO, of course.

8. TimBhoy

TimBhoy New Member

Jul 26, 2003
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Hooligans, should strand them in millport, cnuts.

9. nach0king

nach0king Member

Jul 6, 2004
    Dallas Proper
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Millport: A fate worse than death :D*

*please note that I actually spent a few happy Saturdays on Cumbrae and in Millport and that it is not, as previously advertised, a fate worse than death.

10. TimBhoy

TimBhoy New Member

Jul 26, 2003
    Glasgow, Scotland

I used to spend every holiday, every year, on Millport and can confirm that nacho is telling lies, apart from the crocodile is a fate worse than death, even the old croc loses it's appeal once you know it no real. Big disappointment that to me when I found out, ruined my 22nd birthday

11. nach0king

nach0king Member

Jul 6, 2004
    Dallas Proper
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Wait... it's NOT!?

12. TimBhoy

TimBhoy New Member

Jul 26, 2003
    Glasgow, Scotland
    eh, no sure my previous post made any sense *blushes*

13. nach0king

nach0king Member

Jul 6, 2004
    Dallas Proper
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
  14. celtic76

celtic76 Member

Aug 30, 2001
    WI USA
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    These fines are a joke. I mean serisously large clubs pay this amount on weekley wages for a single player. Fines need to be in the $1M range and then maybee they will get there heads out from the sand.

15. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    If I was a Rangers supporter, I would shout this pigs down. There is no place for this garbage in The Beautiful Game. I would do the exact same thing if Celtic supporters were shouting racists or sectarian drivel.

16. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Funny how the article doesn't even mention what was said!

Honestly, I didn't know that "Rangers FC has a massive problem with bigotry".
    I'm serious. I thought all that stuff was a thing of the past.
    pity.

17. King-James

King-James New Member

May 27, 2005
    Like everywhere else, it's still same old same old. Scotland, Holland, Italy, Spain, etc...
    People still get beat up just for wearing a Celtic or Rangers kit in Glasgow.

18. Scottish_Morton

Jul 7, 2003
    Irvine, Scotland
    The article doesn't need to mention what what said. Rangers fans sing several sectarian songs at every Rangers game. We all know the lyrics we'll, it's their favourite songs. You don't need to even go to a game to hear it, I'll hear it at least once a week from my street.

We also all know the songs Celtic fans sing and their liking for shouting 'IRA' in the middle of songs.

19. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I may be a Celtic fan with Irish and English roots, but I completely am against IRA chants by Tic supporters. You woud think that these people would join the 21st century. I laugh when other countries in Europe call us racists, when they are in denial.

20. Chowda

Chowda Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    My question is about the songs that were sung during the champions league match. Were they positive protestant songs or negative anti-catholic songs? I know quite a few of both, and there are some that just pay tribute to the proud protestant heritage that many Rangers supporters share.

I will remain very upset about this ruling until they come out and say what was actually sung.

Also, some of the allegations are for songs sung outside the stadium. UEFA shouldn't have anything to do with that unless it directly results in fan violence.

Lastly, Barca gets to be the "Catalonian" team, Celtic the "Catholic" team, and Real Sociedad and Athletico Bilbao the "Basque" teams. Why aren't Rangers allowed to be the "Protestant" team?

Again, if the Gers fans were persistantly anti-catholic in Spain then the club needs to take responsibility.

21. Scottish_Morton

Jul 7, 2003
    Irvine, Scotland
    What a load of crap! A proud protestant heritage of violence and bigotry should not be tolerated. Do you think they are proud of anything else? Do you think they are celebrating religious and political freedom? Do you think these guys give a ******** about Christianity or politics?

Hello Hello
    We are the billy boys
    Hello hello
    You'll know us by our noise
    We're up to our knees in fenian blood
    Surrender or you'll die
    For we all follow the Rangers

That clear enough for you? There's plenty more where that came from.

22. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    You really need to do some research into what the 'Spanish' terms mean.

23. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Interesting point, just as long as non-Protestants are not excluded from supporting Rangers.

24. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    OUCH...sounds like a Hamas party song.