Random Thoughts on Video Games

Discussion in 'Video and Computer Games' started by Ringo, Sep 12, 2010.

1. Chess_Panther

Chess_Panther Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Porto, Portugal
    A game doesn't need to be realistic, but the learning curve has decreased or stagnated rather than going up in RTS. There's nothing new to the genre.

My comments regarding realism were a comparison of military games of the sort and also as a reply to your distinguishment (when separated games referred above in 2 groups).

If you really think driving tanks around and pressing a few buttons is new...then try Blitzkrieg from 8 years ago. So your smartass comment implying that I feel frustrated with infantry in WiC is deeply ignorant (matter of the fact, I dont, learning curve is easier than I'm accostumed...capisce?). Again, try Close Combat and see the features that you could choose for each unit. It doesn't take a genius to see that too could be implemented in a more fast-paced game and yet keeping it challenging.

What started my criticism was not about fun and subjective choices but rather the genre's evolution. Stick with the topic if you're going to discuss that instead of my likes and dislikes - it's getting old.

P.S: Btw, most of the games I am fan of are not realistic. I'm not a sim regular other than perhaps moving to Arma2 when PR comes out. Hopefully now you will stop targeting my likes over this one thread that I don't even remember exactly what it was about...
    I am videogamer at a very early age and I accompanied most genres until now. I do feel the industry is lacking inovation lately and more concerned in amazing graphics than gameplay or difficulty (when in comparison to past games). That's all there is to it.

2. minorthreat

minorthreat Member

Jan 1, 2001
    NYC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    That's because the genre-defining RTS - Starcraft - has been a professional sport for a decade. Changing the formula now would be like changing the rules of chess.

On that note, though, I played Brood War the other day out of nostalgia and, holy crap, does the UI drive you nuts if you're used to Starcraft 2. Not being able to see my control groups or box as many units as I wanted was annoying as hell.

3. minorthreat

minorthreat Member

Jan 1, 2001
    NYC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    My life for Aiur!

4. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    if u are a bit simple, like me and enjoyed playing the likes of baldurs gate with your homies, i advise dungeon hunter alliance on the ps3

me and my 2 pals enjoyed it for a bit of nostalgia last night

3 people playing on one console, just like the old days

headsets feel so....cold :(

5. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    So what is the next big release (for PC)? I didn't really enjoy the first Crysis so have limited interest in the sequel. Is there anything other that just released or is set to be released that might carry me over until the end of the year when we get Arkham City and Mass Effect 3?

6. NORML

NORML Member+

Aug 9, 2002
    Lake Wobegon, MN
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Portal 2 is out next week.

7. Uppa 90

Uppa 90 Member

Jan 16, 2004
    K.C. MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just picked up DJ Hero 2 for dirt cheap... As an actual DJ I must say it has nearly nothing in common with the actual process of using a mixer and turntables... however, as a person who likes music, the music included on the game is pretty dope... so i will continue to play, even though i suck at it right now...

8. Mach1

Mach1 Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh hell yes.

Odd as it might be to say, the PC release coming after Portal 2 that has me most interested is.....Duke Nukem Forever.

9. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    That's still two months away, but it's also on my list. :)

10. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    So instead of buying a new game, I ended up replaying Dead Space 2.

One reviewer called it the Aliens to the original game's Alien, and it's a very apt description. The atmosphere has changed from the first game, and the main difference is that it lacks the constant claustrophobic feel of navigating through the Ishimura's narrow and dark corridors.

Somehow I had missed a lot of the dark humor on my first playthrough.

:D

11. NORML

NORML Member+

Aug 9, 2002
    Lake Wobegon, MN
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is the first huge week in games for me this year, Gears of War 3 beta for Bulletstorm owners starts today and both Portal2 and Mortal Kombat are released tomorrow. Portal2 will be the first game I own on all platforms (PC,360 and PS3) while with Mortal Kombat I am gonna be driving around town this week to try and find the tournament edition so I can get my first fightstick.

12. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looking forward to the Gears Beta next week (I didn't bother buying Bulletstorm) but other than that I've been playing little XBLA games like ilomilo and A World for Keflings. I have been playing a bit of Halo Reach lately too.

New games wise, the next game on my radar is LA Noire.

13. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Rented Bulletstorm over the weekend and it's pretty good. The whole kill with skill thing is enjoyable and makes you try different weapons rather than just sticking with the same load out.

Portal 2...I'm not really that fussed about it.

14. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    L.A. Noire looks rather interesting! Of course, no PC release... :D

15. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not a PC gamer (I own Macs and for the longest time they were neglected in gaming), I used to be big into back when Sierra was in its hayday. Playing the Space Quest, Police Quest, Leisure Suit Larry series used to make my day.

16. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Well it's rare for a console-only game to come out that makes me regret not being able to play it. And those that do make it to PC tend to be poor ports, which I can go without as well.

17. minorthreat

minorthreat Member

Jan 1, 2001
    NYC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Quest for Glory was my favorite, but yeah, Sierra games rocked.

18. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was able to play a few on my iPad a couple months ago, there was a site that converted the games into html 5 and you had access to them. That was until greedy Activision shut it down.

19. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    off to my friends for some more dungeon hunter alliance tonight

3 dudes round a console, just like the good old days

20. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Of the 5 video game YouTube channels I subscribe too, 4 of them are doing Portal 2 playthru videos...

21. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I put Portal 2 at the top of my GameFly Q so that I could get it as soon as there are available copies.

It showed up today. :)

22. General Disarray

General Disarray Legendary

Jul 7, 2005
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    HA! I have the Leisure Suit Larry theme as my ringtone..I loved those games...

23. NORML

NORML Member+

Aug 9, 2002
    Lake Wobegon, MN
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dang thats quick, I ussually get new releases from Gamefly on Wednesday.

Found a Tournament edition of Mortal Kombat, the fightstick is huge and is wider than my lap. It hasn't made me any better at the game but I was able to pull off a fatality on my first attempt. :)

24. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Dropped my 360 this morning, bought a new one and data transfer cable only for it not to work. Either the cable is faulty or my hard drive with all my saved games is buggered.

I feel like having a big old cry

25. Mookie141

Mookie141 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Mooktown
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    *virtual hug* I sat on my Sims 3 disk earlier this week.

I don't like how they did the hard drives. It would have helped to have some consistancy with the new model. So a person wouldn't have to go through all that to get the data transfered.

If your old X-Box still turns on I would say save your files to a flashdrive, but I also have no idea if the new model takes flashdrives.

I hope it all works out for you.